Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Weekend Play List 9/3/22
itscalledreality Sep 3, 2022
“Never again!” You tell yourself. After 3 full days of carrying boxes, vacuuming, mopping, wiping down counters, and any other laborious tenement moving activity under the sun, you’ve met your limit.

The worst is over though, you’ve landed in your new place (crash landed is maybe more accurate with your belongings scattered about messily in boxes). After a day’s rest you might as well begin unpacking everything. You scan the newly formed skyline of your bustling box city. The tallest tower holds all of the goodies. The top is a box of under garments and just underneath a plastic crate of plates, supported by another box of vinyl records. All of which is perched on-top of a large box at the base of the tower.

Impersonating your favorite Rampage character you swiftly deconstruct the tower and crack open the base. “Ah, yes, there you are.” You crack a wide grin and caress the obsidian colored cube that is your gaming PC. You chuckle and think, “The most important things must be set up first!”

———

“He must of finished moving!”

Nope. I have instead forced my previous roommate to allow me to sublet his new basement until I find something worthy. I am close to the end, however I had another vacation (the last of the summer!) to attend to this last week and it was a good time to let the market cool down from the student rush. I will also be hiring movers as I’m absolutely dead mentally from this entire process. Who knew you could grow tired of looking at images of empty tenements, cold emailing about availability, and busting your bum up and down the subway to glance at places you don’t want?

I moved out of a 5 story walk-up. I went to view an apartment across town. I walked into the building and saw stairs and no elevator and immediately walked out. It could be Shangri-La (the city, not the Frasier building complex Niles moves into) up there but I just can’t do it again personally.

However this means I’m without PC. So instead I’ll describe the board game I played on my vacation:

Masterpiece

Masterpiece is (was?) a Parker Bros. board game in which you buy and sell art. It was made in 1970 (and I played an original copy) and is best described as a Clue-Monopoly hybrid. The game is simple, each player rolls a D6 to move their character around the board and each space says “Buy a painting from the bank” or “another player” or “inherit a painting” or “sell a painting for x dollars”. You can bid on art during an auction or even bid up the price for another player. Careful not to buy a forgery! The mechanic is easy enough however the true fun comes from the six character cards that come with the game. Each with a unique character biography that means absolutely nothing to the game only to provide a sense of role playing. A good observation of friend of mine was that each person gets to role play as what they believe a wealthy art buyer may be like.

If you stumble across a copy, please force 5 other people to play with you. You won’t regret it.

Also please note that I intend to move these threads back to a Friday afternoon publish date, but have just been busy.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 3 September 2022 at 6:45 pm UTC
Pengling Sep 3, 2022
I completed the first Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney game, by way of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, last weekend. It's worth noting that, though it works perfectly with Proton, it got broken in a Proton Experimental update towards the end of last week, so if anyone is considering picking it up, you specifically need to use Proton 7.0-4 for it now, rather than just leaving it on Experimental like I usually do. Anyway, with the first of the original trilogy cleared, I'll be shelving this collection for a while, since each of the three games are fairly long visual-novels and I want to get my teeth into something else as a side-hustle to my Bomberman marathon for a while. Expect to see it reappear when I get the itch to tackle the other two games!

I had originally intended to play Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation) and Astal (Saturn) this weekend, but then I had a bad-tech-luck day yesterday and had some emulation/save issues not too long after starting both of them - by sheer wonky chance, the PlayStation emulator would only crash upon loading a save from the memory-card for MGS (I guess that I'll need to use save-states for this one instead), and then the Saturn emulator somehow broke a save-state that I'd made to mark my place at the start of a stage in Astal (Astal doesn't have a save feature, so save-states are necessary if you aren't going to play through it all in one sitting), which I'm guessing was just an unfortunate side-effect of the current state of Saturn emulation. This means that I'll have to start over in both games, which kind of took the wind out of my sails for playing them this time around; It's not quite so bad for Astal because it's a pretty short game, but Metal Gear Solid is slower-paced, has tons of cutscenes, and demands a lot of the player's time, so it was off-putting for that one.

There'll be no Metal Gear Bomber this time.

In the end, I ended up dipping back into the surreal indie classic Yume Nikki ("Dream Diary"), which I've been chipping away at for ages, and then putting in some practise in the Battle Mode of Super Bomberman R, because you can never have too much Bomberman (or I certainly can't, anyway ), and the Battle Mode is by far the most stable component of the PC port of this game (here's hoping that next year's Super Bomberman R 2 is actually stable and supports Proton properly, as is the case with Super Bomberman R Online.

Yume Nikki - Lamp World

Super Bomberman R - "Justice will prevail!"

I'll give Metal Gear Solid and Astal another shot some other time, but probably not for a Weekend Playlist thread if they're going to be this unreliable for me!

Quoting: itscalledrealityHowever this means I’m without PC. So instead I’ll describe the board game I played on my vacation:

Masterpiece

Masterpiece is (was?) a Parker Bros. board game in which you buy and sell art. It was made in 1970 (and I played an original copy) and is best described as a Clue-Monopoly hybrid. The game is simple, each player rolls a D6 to move their character around the board and each space says “Buy a painting from the bank” or “another player” or “inherit a painting” or “sell a painting for x dollars”. You can bid on art during an auction or even bid up the price for another player. Careful not to buy a forgery! The mechanic is easy enough however the true fun comes from the six character cards that come with the game. Each with a unique character biography that means absolutely nothing to the game only to provide a sense of role playing. A good observation of friend of mine was that each person gets to role play as what they believe a wealthy art buyer may be like.

If you stumble across a copy, please force 5 other people to play with you. You won’t regret it.
I'm stunned that I've never heard of this until right now! I'm not much of a board-game player, but I used to like both Monopoly and Cluedo (as it's called here - pronounced like "Cloo-Dough") a lot when I was younger.

Anyway, I really hope that you can push through your moving trials soon! I chuckled at that Frasier reference, by the way.
denyasis Sep 3, 2022
Finally beat Monster sanctuary. I didn't realize the ending was literally 4-5 boss fights in a row. I'm sure there's more to the game for the completionist, but it was pretty satisfying, although the mid game was a little repetitive.

Still got 40 hours out of it since July, so no regrets on the purchase. It's definitely a tight little game. Would definitely recommend!

Not gaming related, I got rained out today, I was trying to finish a hand rail for some porch steps. At least I got the concrete work done yesterday.
StoneColdSpider Sep 4, 2022
G'Day all..... Its a beautiful Sunday afternoon here..... Its Spring here as well.... The flowers are out...... The birds flying....... And fat spiders are falling off ladders...... Yes I fell of a ladder this week..... Went to trim back some trees since the weather has been nice..... The soft soil combined with my fatness sunk the ladder into the soil and down I went...... Im ok tho.... I landed on the soft soil of the garden bed...... There is now a fat bastard outline in the garden tho...... Luckily I missed my new Mandarin Tree....

Speaking of me being a fat bastard....... Ive actually lost some weight this week...... For reference im around 178cm tall..... Last week I weighed in at 89.0 Koalagrams........ Today I am 88.1 Koalas........ I am happy with that as I have not changed my eating habbits at all yet...... I wanted to see how much I could lose with just exercise alone for a few months and if I wasnt happy with that I would change my eating habbits...... Not that I eat much shit food..... But the NFL season is just around the corner...... So I will be watching a lot of football and of course when watching football you have to be eating them tasty packets of chippies!.....

As for alcohol affecting my weight..... I dont drink..... Never have...... It has never interested me...... And since I never had friends I never got peer pressured into drinking or smoking which I dont do either..... Plus im silly enough without alcohol...... People pay a lot of money to act like me...... Am I am like this 100% of the time all natrual....... I drink water nearly all the time..... Tho I do have 1 can of coke every Friday..... To celebrate the end of the working week.....

Also this week I saved a little baby jumping spider....... It was jumping around my office at home..... And in the top corner of my office a Cellar Spider has been living there for around 18months maybe even longer....... And her egg sack has hatched so there are about 50 of them up in the corner of my office and I was affraid the little Jumper would be food for them......... So I moved it to another room........ I acutally want to get a Jumping Spider as a pet one day......

Today is also Fathers day here in the land of the killer animals...... I had my parents over for a BBQ lunch...... Steak, Sasuages, Bacon and Onion...... So right now I probably weigh a bit more than 88.1 Koalas as I now have a stomach full of tasty food!

As for gaming..... I again has been smashing through some good old classic games I never got to play or complete as a child on RetroArch...... I use the stand alone version of RetroArch not the Steam version...... For 1 very important reason........ I dont know why but they disabled the desktop menu (F5) in the steam version........ I really like the desktop menu and use it a lot when adding games........ Anyway this week I have completed......

Console

Contra (1988 Konami) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Run and gun
Super C (1990 Konami) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Run and gun
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (English Patched) (1993 Konami) - NEC PC Engine Super CD-ROM² - Platformer
Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990 Nintendo) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
Gun-Nac - (1991 ASCII) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Shoot 'em up

Arcade

GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (1991 Irem) - Run and Gun
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991 Midway) - Shooter (Light Gun)
Sunset Riders (1991 Konami) - Run and Gun
Ghouls'n Ghosts (1988 Capcom) - Platformer
WWF Superstars (1989 Technos) - Sports (Wrestling)
Altered Beast (1988 Sega) - Beat 'em Up

Penglings Bad Influence
Sly Spy (1989 Data East) - Arcade - Action

I also played.....
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1994 Midway) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)........ I have played it before..... Also how can you complete a sports game with no storyline???

The best 2 games I played this week were........ Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (English Patched) (1993 Konami)...... This game is amazing!!!!..... Its really hard to pick which is better..... This or Super Castlevania IV (Uncensored v2.1) (1991 Konami)....... They are both fantasic and this is right up there as one of the best games I have ever played..... Amazing music and gameplay......
And....... NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1994 Midway)...... Gotta love some NBA Jam...... Another fantastic game...... The best basketball game ever made and the second best sports game ever made........ Number one will get a mention soon.... As I said earlier...... The NFL season is just around the corner.......

The 2 worst games this week were....... Altered Beast (1988 Sega)...... A game of its time..... But it has not aged well at all..... Very stiff controls..... Very few moves..... Slow and boring gameplay..... Its very much like Golden Axe or Final Fight...... Great for its time but has aged like milk..... And really does not hold up today at all.....
And....... Ghouls'n Ghosts (1988 Capcom)....... I tried playing this the other week and got stuck........ Played it again and this time completed it and....... Never again....... It does the same bullshit as Ghosts'n Goblins and makes you play through the same six levels twice to get the proper ending....... Im almost bald after playing it.......

I will also mention Sly Spy that was really good fun...... But I will admit I got it confused with The Super Spy (1990 SNK) - Neo Geo...... So I was expecting a first person spy game and got something very different..... And its a really good James Bond ripoff...... He drives a nice red Ferrari F40 and even the bosses are blatent James Bond villian ripoffs...... I dont know how they didnt get sued....... But im glad they didnt....... Its great fun.... Quite short but a blast to play........ Thanks Plengling......

As for what im going to play this week....
Well the Castlevania ride will continue this time with Castlevania Chronicles (2001 Konami) - Sony PlayStation - Platformer....... The reason for that is Castlevania Chronicles is a re-release/remaster of the Castlevania game for the Sharp X68000 released in 1993 only in Japan...... It actually came out a few months before Rondo of Blood so I have played them slightly out of order but I didnt know this game exsisted till the other day...... I have really enjoyed playing through the Castlevania games...... Its been a real blast.....

Also continue on the Mario train as well.... The next station is Super Mario World (1990 Nintendo) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer.......

And of course I will continue with the Contra series..... Next up is Contra III: The Alien Wars (1992 Konami) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Run and gun........ The first 2 games on the NES are good..... But if you have MAME/FBN then there is no reason to play them as the arcade games are far superior..... Which was the style at the time.......

Speaking of arcades.......
I plan on playing some Smash T.V. (1990 Williams) - Shoot 'em up....... And also giving Captain America and the Avengers (1991 Data East) - Beat 'em up a bash...... I will probably play others as well..... Theres always some interesting arcade game to play..... Theres no shortage of them......

And with the NFL just around the corner I might play some NFL games..... Depends when the updated roster rom get released...... Hopfully it will get released this week before the start of the season......

And I will porbably play more NBA Jam...... Its always Jam time!

On the non gaming front I will hopfully tempt fate and get out in the garden and finish cutting back some trees and If the weather improves I will be able to take the dog on more walks...... Theres always real work that gets in the way of everything...... New seat belts arrived in the post as well..... So I will put them in my car this week....... The original seat belts from 1974 have started to fray....... They dont make anything to last anymore....... And that would be an instant defect so I had to get some new ones...... And I think thats about it....... Oh actually...... Since its the first week of the new season I will have the fire up the air compressor and blow out my computer...... I do it every 3months when the seasons change.......

I have not done any tech support for my parents this week..... They have been using EndeavourOS for over a week and no issues so far..... *fingers crossed*

Quoting: Penglingand then putting in some practise in the Battle Mode of Super Bomberman R, because you can never have too much Bomberman (or I certainly can't, anyway )
Seriously........ would anyone be surprised if Pengling had a Bomberman tattoo???

Quoting: itscalledreality?He must of finished moving!?

Nope. I have instead forced my previous roommate to allow me to sublet his new basement until I find something worthy. I am close to the end, however I had another vacation (the last of the summer!) to attend to this last week and it was a good time to let the market cool down from the student rush. I will also be hiring movers as I?m absolutely dead mentally from this entire process. Who knew you could grow tired of looking at images of empty tenements, cold emailing about availability, and busting your bum up and down the subway to glance at places you don?t want?

I moved out of a 5 story walk-up. I went to view an apartment across town. I walked into the building and saw stairs and no elevator and immediately walked out. It could be Shangri-La (the city, not the Frasier building complex Niles moves into) up there but I just can?t do it again personally.
Goodluck with the move mate..... Hope you get it all sorted soon enough......

Oh I also wanted to ask does anyone know a good and safe site to upload photos on.... So I can post some photos on here???

Well this post has gotten way to long again.... Trying to condence an entire week into 1 post is not easy.......

Untill next time....... Male echidnas have a four-headed penis...... You will never look at Knuckles the same way again.......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 4 September 2022 at 9:35 am UTC
Pengling Sep 4, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSeriously........ would anyone be surprised if Pengling had a Bomberman tattoo???
Haha, I don't! Tattoos aren't my jam.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOh I also wanted to ask does anyone know a good and safe site to upload photos on.... So I can post some photos on here???
I always use Imgur, myself - quick and simple, and you don't need an account for it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderUntill next time....... Male echidnas have a four-headed penis...... You will never look at Knuckles the same way again.......
Ew!
denyasis Sep 5, 2022
Small update.
Still rained out on exterior repairs. Maybe tomorrow.

I decided to try cloud gaming, specifically Amazon Luna. Why? Well it's free to Prime members, and they have Everspace for this month, so why not?.

Worked fine on straight Chromium. No hacks, weird tweaks or anything. I did have to lower the quality to 720p to get rid of massive input lag, but they might be more my old laptop than anything else.

Everspace is fun. Trying to pilot with a mouse is really really hard. I die alot.
StoneColdSpider Sep 5, 2022
Quoting: PenglingI always use Imgur, myself - quick and simple, and you don't need an account for it.
Cheers..... I will give that a try..... I will have photos to make my posts even longer.......

Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderUntill next time....... Male echidnas have a four-headed penis...... You will never look at Knuckles the same way again.......
Ew!
Well you have no one to blame but yourself...... You did say you wanted an Echidna fact.........
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.