Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Subnautica: Below Zero randomly crashes after some time
Spiwocoal Sep 8, 2022
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Manjaro Linux
Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3700X @ 4.4GHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.6

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

Steam system information
inxxi system information

The issue

Subnautica: Below Zero crashes randomly after some random amount of time (I haven't been able to find a pattern).

It doesn't just crash the game, but the whole system seems to just die as green squares (bigger than single pixels) appear all over the screen, keyboard stops working, sound gets stuck in a loop over the buffer I suppose (game ambient audio sounds fine, but it is clearly just what was already playing when the crash happened and does not respond to any input, and one-time sound effects that might have been playing at the time of the crash don't repeat).

I also can't close the game with any keyboard combination, though after a while I am taken to the window that happened to be under the game's one and I can move the cursor with the mouse, but the green squares are still there, and I can't interact with anything, not even with the keyboard. A while more later, the display just turns black and my monitor starts looping on/off as if the video signal were being restored and lost again and again, though nothing is displayed other than the monitor's OSD and the only 'fix' is to forcibly shutdown the computer by holding down the power button. Not even killing the game process through a SSH session does anything.

The game is being run using Proton 7.0-4 .

This problem has persisted for many versions of the game, at least since november last year. I even stopped playing it for quite some time in the middle of a playthrough because the crashing was becoming unbearable, and as the game doesn't have an autosave I was regularly losing a lot of progress.

Browsing through ProtonDB I could only find one person with a problem similar to mine, but no fix was suggested and their specs were quite different from mine, and other users, even those with the exact same setup as mine, reported the game running flawlessly.

I also seem to recall that I had similar issues some months ago with Lightmatter or Superliminal (can't remember which of those two), and when I checked, both games were made using Unity and both had to be run using Proton, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Any idea what could be my problem here? I really want to finally finish this game but I fear losing my mind if I am once again forced to travel the whole fucking map twice because I forgot to save when arriving at my destination...

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here

Just play the game for ~20 minutes, but sometimes it also happens a lot before or a lot after that...
Ehvis Sep 9, 2022
I've been playing Below Zero for the past week and have done so for almost 20 hours without a single issue. I'm on Intel/NVidia/gnome on proton 7.0-4, so at least from the game side there seem to be no obvious issues.

Since the system seems to be running (if you can still ssh into it), the issues is most likely in the GPU or driver. And if protondb doesn't mention it for other AMD GPU users, my first thought would be to check the hardware. Are you in a position to try it with a different AMD GPU?
Spiwocoal Sep 10, 2022
Quoting: EhvisI've been playing Below Zero for the past week and have done so for almost 20 hours without a single issue. I'm on Intel/NVidia/gnome on proton 7.0-4, so at least from the game side there seem to be no obvious issues.

Since the system seems to be running (if you can still ssh into it), the issues is most likely in the GPU or driver. And if protondb doesn't mention it for other AMD GPU users, my first thought would be to check the hardware. Are you in a position to try it with a different AMD GPU?

Sadly no, I don't have any other GPU to try the game with :(
mr-victory Sep 10, 2022
Set up magic SysRq key. This won't prevent crashes but will ease troubleshooting because you don't have to force shutdown.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Keyboard_shortcuts#Enabling
When you get a crash, while holding SysRq and Alt, hit R E I S U B keys, your PC should reboot. Then you can examine previous boot's log with

sudo journalctl -b -1
Spiwocoal Sep 12, 2022
Quoting: mr-victorySet up magic SysRq key. This won't prevent crashes but will ease troubleshooting because you don't have to force shutdown.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Keyboard_shortcuts#Enabling
When you get a crash, while holding SysRq and Alt, hit R E I S U B keys, your PC should reboot. Then you can examine previous boot's log with

sudo journalctl -b -1
Sorry for the late reply, but here's the log from the moment the crash happened, to the reboot.
journalctl log
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.