Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Drivers issue NVIDIA GPU GeForce 1060 6GB with Ubuntu 20.04
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Veynacal Sep 11, 2022
Thank you guys ! I think I ll give a try to Pop_OS either first with a virtual machine or native.
I could see in the doc that they also support Machine learning frameworks and ROS so sounds good for my usecases :=)
Veynacal Sep 12, 2022
Quoting: scaine
Quoting: VeynacalThanks a lot ! Well the reason using Ubuntu was just because ROS a robotic middleware I am using and at the time the best compatible OS was Ubuntu.
Makes sense! Both Mint and Pop_OS use Ubuntu LTS as their base, however, so unless your software relies specifically on Snaps, then you definitely have options. They both use the normal Ubuntu PPAs, and repositories, so the versions will all be the same, for example.

The main difference is that Pop_OS has their own repo for graphics drivers, I believe, which updates much more frequently, often within hours of a new driver release. So that might be a consideration.

I installed Pop_OS and it worked like a charm until I tried to shut down the laptop, here I get this error continuously:

"NVRM: This PCI I/O region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid:
[13749.319670] NVRM: BARO is OM @ 0x0 (PCI:0000:01:00.0)"
scaine Sep 12, 2022
The Nvidia forums seem to suggest that this is a common motherboard problem, particularly on Dell computers, and suggest a BIOS update. What hardware are you running on?

(EDIT: And just to be certain, you're definitely using the Pop_OS Nvidia install, right? This isn't some attempt to install Nvidia drivers from their website, which is unbelievably difficult and never, ever recommended unless you're a Linux goddam guru!?)

Last edited by scaine on 12 September 2022 at 12:44 pm UTC
Veynacal Sep 12, 2022
Quoting: scaineThe Nvidia forums seem to suggest that this is a common motherboard problem, particularly on Dell computers, and suggest a BIOS update. What hardware are you running on?

(EDIT: And just to be certain, you're definitely using the Pop_OS Nvidia install, right? This isn't some attempt to install Nvidia drivers from their website, which is unbelievably difficult and never, ever recommended unless you're a Linux goddam guru!?)

Hi Scaine!
Yes I did use the nvidia version of the 22.04 Pop OS, and by default the nvidia-driver-515 (the last one) was installed :)
Well as you said as I am not (yet?) a linux guru I failed to install this same driver manually.
Related to your comment on the BIOS/UEFI update yes it would make sense, my laptop is a MSI gf65 U with a nvidia rtx 3060.

Do you have any link on the procedure for the UEFI update ?

I feel it a bit odd that the UEFI is not prepared by MSI for the right Graphic card since it is a laptop with original HW but who knows ! :)
scaine Sep 12, 2022
I'm afraid I'm also out of my depth on this, to be honest. You could check the MSI website to see if there is a firmware/BIOS update that might resolve this issue. I'm not sure it's related to UEFI exactly - my limited understaning of UEFI is that it's what controls the boot process, so I can't see how that would impact how your motherboard interacts with your graphics card.

I'm at a loss, but would definitely look at a motherboard update if possible. These used to be fairly complex, but these days, you tend to find that you simply download a specific file to a USB key, then access the firmware update utility on your motherboard and point it at the USB key. There's still the risk of bricking the motherboard, of course, but there are far better checks against this these days. All I can do is wish you luck if you decide to go down that road!
Veynacal Sep 12, 2022
Quoting: scaineI'm afraid I'm also out of my depth on this, to be honest. You could check the MSI website to see if there is a firmware/BIOS update that might resolve this issue. I'm not sure it's related to UEFI exactly - my limited understaning of UEFI is that it's what controls the boot process, so I can't see how that would impact how your motherboard interacts with your graphics card.

I'm at a loss, but would definitely look at a motherboard update if possible. These used to be fairly complex, but these days, you tend to find that you simply download a specific file to a USB key, then access the firmware update utility on your motherboard and point it at the USB key. There's still the risk of bricking the motherboard, of course, but there are far better checks against this these days. All I can do is wish you luck if you decide to go down that road!

thanks a lot Scaine ! will definitively give it a try with the FW update !
Veynacal Sep 16, 2022
Quoting: scaine
Quoting: VeynacalThanks a lot ! Well the reason using Ubuntu was just because ROS a robotic middleware I am using and at the time the best compatible OS was Ubuntu.
Makes sense! Both Mint and Pop_OS use Ubuntu LTS as their base, however, so unless your software relies specifically on Snaps, then you definitely have options. They both use the normal Ubuntu PPAs, and repositories, so the versions will all be the same, for example.

The main difference is that Pop_OS has their own repo for graphics drivers, I believe, which updates much more frequently, often within hours of a new driver release. So that might be a consideration.

Hi guys!

Here some feedback about my experience on Pop OS:
- for ROS2 (robotic middleware) it works smoothly !
- for games (tried tomb raider on GOG, flight sim, star wars squadron on Steam w/ compatibility mode) I am disappointed, it is very slow and there are even polygons rendering issues

do you have windows games compatibility layers versions to recommand (eg proton, wine etc) ?
damarrin Sep 16, 2022
Which machine are you talking about? The one with the 1060 or the laptop with the 3060?
Veynacal Sep 16, 2022
Quoting: damarrinWhich machine are you talking about? The one with the 1060 or the laptop with the 3060?

Sorry! The laptop with the RTX3060 :)
damarrin Sep 16, 2022
Does the laptop come with integrated gfx? Maybe that's what's running.

Is the nvidia driver loaded and running?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.