Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Weekend Play List 9/10/22
itscalledreality Sep 10, 2022
You can see the end of the line or what you believe to be the end of the line. However it’s far enough away that you can’t be sure and maybe just up ahead the line curves around the corner instead of ends? Hopefully not, you’ve been waiting all day. Once the line starts moving you’ll surely be on your way, but right now? You’re stuck.

You wonder if it will be worth the wait. So many lines have been waited-in during your lifetime it’s hard to say what the success to failure rate of the average line wait has been.

It was getting late and while you were supposed to be out of line and on your way 5 minutes ago, another 5 minutes will be worth it right?

What if you get to the end and they run out of it? That probably won’t happen but it’s happened before. One tired employee or a manager fed up with the line can very well ruin the wait for everyone. Then you’d have to turn back empty handed. Then you should have just had it shipped to you. You should have had it shipped to you anyways…why isn’t this line moving?!

———

Low quality post from my side this week (ends on an interrobang). Still no where to call home, still no unpacked PC.

It doesn’t help that half of the units I view just aren’t big enough and the other half are off the market before I can even peak at them.

There is a ray of hope as Valve emailed me about some sort of special portable gaming device from Lord Gaben that apparently I’m the next in line to inherit. So maybe that will give me some through put on my locked away gaming collection? Let the gaming gods bless me with some entertainment.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 10 September 2022 at 11:15 pm UTC
Mezron Sep 10, 2022
Been playing Heroclix with my friends lately. I still have my Indy and Horrorclix teams. Hellboy (V), Jason Vorhees (V), Acid-Tail Alien (V), Judge Dredd (V) and Darkness (V). We are doing a campaign with story lines and objectives.

Star Fluxx has been my day to day game I've been playing with my wife and visiting child after dinner.

Been playing Crazy Taxi on my phone and laptop. On a few occasions, I've passed the controller or phone for ppl to take turns and see who gets a better license.

Tried to get into Steam again but DOTA 2 and CS:GO had issue just trying to start...uninstalled.
Pengling Sep 11, 2022
It's all arcade-games for me this weekend, thanks partly to last weekend's efforts with longer games not working out, and also partly to the bad influence of StoneColdSpider who plays quite a lot of them. Specifically I've picked out the 1991 Bomberman arcade game ( https://bomberman.fandom.com/wiki/Bomberman_(Arcade) ), which was created by Irem under license from Hudson Soft, and Pooyan by Konami (there's a video covering the NES version here which does a good job of explaining how the game works).

I first encountered the arcade Bomberman title in an arcade-that-time-forgot that I stumbled across in Westward Ho! during a 1997 trip to Devon. It was like stepping back in time to the early 1990s, and the cabinet was flanked by Toaplan's Snow Bros., and Taito's Super Space Invaders '91 (which by that time sounded almost humourously dated). They also had the MASSIVE sit-down projection-monitor version of Konami's Asterix beat-'em-up ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_(arcade_game) ) as a bit of a showcase piece on the upper floor. Goodness knows if that arcade is still there, but if it is I wouldn't be too surprised if I were to be told that it still hasn't changed! It was a great find.

I've already blazed through the arcade Bomberman (which is just as well, since my other pick, Pooyan, doesn't have an ending). It has really weird cornering compared to all of the console and PC installments that I'm familiar with, which takes some getting used to, and it's not as strategic since it's an arcade-game and therefore designed to be mean (the time-limits are tight and sometimes you WILL come across situations that you can't think your way out of and that you'll have to burn a life on, but that's not so bad under emulation), but it was a well-presented big dumb fun good time that I'm glad I put the time into. I wouldn't place it highly on my list for recommending to others if they don't already know the series, though - this one's better if you're already familiar with the series' home-gaming roots.

On the non-gaming side, I had a birthday this week, and there were these little cakes, inspired by these ones from the gaming-themed recipe site Snack or Die.

Last edited by Pengling on 11 September 2022 at 12:41 am UTC
denyasis Sep 11, 2022
Happy birthday, Pengling. I hope you enjoyed it.
And sorry about the wipe out on apartment shopping, itscalledreality. I hope you find something nice soon.

I mostly been playing Kerbal Space Program and Everspace (via Amazon Luna's streaming service). Enjoying both of them a lot. KSP is one of my more favorite games and Everspace is only available for September.

I got a call from prospective future work place on Friday, they want an interview Monday. Hopefully it'll be the last one. I've completed all my validation tests, pre-employment screening, and already negotiated wages with them (that was a first for me). Not really sure what to expect, I've had the same job since graduating many years ago and the hiring process was very different. Interview with the CEO? WTF? Where I work now if the CEO knew of you... It was bad, lol.

Fingers crossed!!
itscalledreality Sep 11, 2022
Quoting: PenglingOn the non-gaming side, I had a birthday this week, and there were these little cakes, inspired by these ones from the gaming-themed recipe site Snack or Die.

Happy Birthday! Those cakes look awesome.

Quoting: denyasisAnd sorry about the wipe out on apartment shopping, itscalledreality. I hope you find something nice soon.

Thanks, the market is starting to go down which is nice and means I’ll probably have something by Oct 1 at the latest.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 11 September 2022 at 1:52 am UTC
Pengling Sep 11, 2022
Quoting: denyasisHappy birthday, Pengling. I hope you enjoyed it.
Quoting: itscalledrealityHappy Birthday! Those cakes look awesome.
Aww, thanks you guys! It went well, the cakes turned out delicious, and I was given an IOU for one of these, which wasn't ready for shipping at the time but is now on its way to me, hehe!
StoneColdSpider Sep 11, 2022
Hello everyone....... Its a cold and crap Sunday here in Aus..... And in fact the entire week has been cold and crap with lots of rain...... The poms would be loving this weather...... Would feel just like home for them....... I still dont know how they invented the game of Cricket...... An outdoors game that lasts 5 days and cant be played in the rain.......

Its the new slimmer and fitter Stone Cold Spider here....... Lost more weight during the week...... Still pounding that treadmill every day for an hour...... Feeling better every passing week.....

This week I installed the new seat belts in my car so im able to drive again....... Living in a rural town with no buses, trains or taxis means you have to have a car...... Fired up the air compressor and blew the dust out of my pc...... Finished cutting back the trees without falling of the laddar........ I was not able to take the dog on my walks as it has been to wet here.......

Cuase of the weather I have done nothing today........ I made myself a pizza and thats about it...... I probably just undid all the walking I did on the treadmill but my stomach is now full of yummy homemade pizza!!!.....

For those of you wondering why I dont take my dog out if it is raining...... Here is a picture of my dog......

That is my dog Maggie...... She is a 13 year old Old English Sheepdog........ One does not simply walk an Old English Sheepdog in the rain...... As you can see she is busy guarding my Madcatz Street Fighter X Tekken Arcade Fight Stick........ The game might have been rubbish but the fight stick is real good!!!.....

As for the Cellar Spiders on the ceiling in my office they are doing well........ If anyone is interested heres a pic of them.....

Arnt they so cute!!!!

Thanks Pengling for suggesting Imgur....... Without it I wouldnt have been post the spider picture ........

Right on to the gaming...... It has been the usual offerings on RetroArch this week..... I completed......

Console

Contra III: The Alien Wars (1992 Konami) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Run and gun
Castlevania Chronicles (2001 Konami) - Sony PlayStation - Platformer
Super Mario World (1990 Nintendo) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer

Arcade

Smash T.V. (1990 Williams) - Shoot 'em up
Captain America and the Avengers (1991 Data East) - Beat 'em up
Alien Syndrome (1987 Sega) - Run and Gun

I also played

NHL 96 (1995 EA Sports) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Hockey)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1994 Midway) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)
Tecmo Super Bowl 2023 (2022 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)

Yes the yearly roster update rom has been released for Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)...... My favourite sports game of all time.......... I will be following the NFL season along as my team...... Played the first round the other day and got a win.......
I always prefered the NES version to the SNES and the 2nd and 3rd games got more complictated and lost the reason it was so great..... The NES is still the best pick up and play NFL game......

BRONCOS COUNTRY.... LETS RIDE!!!!!

The two best games I played this week (Besides Tecmo Super Bowl) were....... Castlevania Chronicles (2001 Konami)...... This is another fantastic Castlevania game..... I played the original version not the arranged version..... And it is so good..... I had never heard of a Sharp X68000 before...... I might have to look into this further and see what other games the system had........
And.......... Captain America and the Avengers (1991 Data East)...... A really good beat 'em up based on the Avengers universe....... The action is fast and the levels are short and your done in 40minutes or less..... Nothing to fancy....... Just beat the crap out of bad guys as either Captain America or Iron Man....... Who would play as Vision or Hawkeye????.......

The two worst games I played this week were........ Smash T.V. (1990 Williams)....... Its not terrible or anything it just overstays its welcome....... There is no reason to keep going after the first boss...... You have seen basically everything and the game has nothing new to offer after that...... It does drag a bit towards the end...... Its brutal too....... Munches on coins like a large coin munching monster........ Just play till the first boss.....
And........ Contra III: The Alien Wars (1992 Konami)........ The top down levels in this game just toally ruin it...... They are much much much worse than the top down levels in Super C....... And also the fact that you have to complete the game on hard to get the "true ending" is enough to turn anyone Amish.......

Just want to quickly mention Super Mario World (1990 Nintendo)...... I really liked it as well..... Just missing out on the best two spots...... I much prefered this to Super Mario Bros 3........ Even if World does have Yoshi which takes a few points of it....... Its a much better experiance than 3...... The final boss fight with Bowser in the Clown Helicopter thing is really good fun...... But the game has Yoshi...... so it couldnt get into the top 2.....

As for PC games....... Does Klondike and Freecell count in KPatience????

As for this week..... Well theres gonna be another Castlevania game...... Castlevania: Bloodlines (1994 Konami) - Sega Mega Drive - Platformer..... Im interested to see how Castlevania goes on the Mega Drive...... I have high hopes after seeing what they did on the Sharp X68000......

Of course there will be more Mario...... This time on the Game Boy with..... Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992 Nintendo) - Nintendo Game Boy - Platformer......

And Contra will be back on the menu...... This time I will have Contra Force (1992 Konami) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Run and gun....... With a side of bacon......

And of course there will be Arcade Games on the list as well...... Not sure which ones..... But they will be on there.....

On the non gaming front..... I need to do some more work on my car........ Hopfully I will get Maggie out for more walks...... And I will hopfully be losing more weight....... Theres also real work....... I dont really want to..... But the bills need to be paid........... Hopfully when I lose more weight I can join OnlyFans .......

Quoting: PenglingOn the non-gaming side, I had a birthday this week, and there were these little cakes
Happy Birthday Pengling... Glad you had a great day...... I still think that cup cake looks like a full sized cake...... ......
Also good to see someone else using MAME 2003-Plus........ That is what I use as well.....

Sorry to hear about the appartment shopping itscalledreality...... Hopfully you will find something soon...... At least you got some good news about your Inheritance from Lord Gaben......

Quoting: denyasisI mostly been playing Kerbal Space Program
How many young Kerbals have you killed????

Quoting: denyasisI got a call from prospective future work place on Friday, they want an interview Monday. Hopefully it'll be the last one. I've completed all my validation tests, pre-employment screening, and already negotiated wages with them (that was a first for me). Not really sure what to expect, I've had the same job since graduating many years ago and the hiring process was very different. Interview with the CEO? WTF? Where I work now if the CEO knew of you... It was bad, lol.

Fingers crossed!!
Awesome news...... Good luck with with the interview...... We are all rooting for you mate!

Well thats it from me this week...... Hope you have a great week......

Untill next time..... Male kangaroos flex their biceps to impress females.......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 11 September 2022 at 10:23 am UTC
Pengling Sep 11, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd in fact the entire week has been cold and crap with lots of rain...... The poms would be loving this weather...... Would feel just like home for them.......
Making your point for you, but: I like rain.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHappy Birthday Pengling... Glad you had a great day...... I still think that cup cake looks like a full sized cake...... ......
Hehe! Thanks man!

I prefer the cupcakes because there wasn't any wastage compared to a full-sized one.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAlso good to see someone else using MAME 2003-Plus........ That is what I use as well.....
I think that Raspberry Pi retro builds effectively standardising MAME 2003 Plus as a major option has done a lot of good for arcade emulation, and granted it attention that it wasn't previously getting.

Last edited by Pengling on 11 September 2022 at 4:28 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Sep 12, 2022
Quoting: PenglingMaking your point for you, but: I like rain.
I KNEW IT!!!!

Quoting: PenglingHehe! Thanks man!

I prefer the cupcakes because there wasn't any wastage compared to a full-sized one.
And you also dont end up eating to much

Quoting: PenglingI think that Raspberry Pi retro builds effectively standardising MAME 2003 Plus as a major option has done a lot of good for arcade emulation, and granted it attention that it wasn't previously getting.
I am glad it is getting the attention it deserves...... Its a good simple easy to use arcade emulator.......
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.