You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
With netbooks out of favour these days, I had to get creative for a small laptop case!
Pengling Sep 13, 2022
I needed a case to carry my GPD Win Max 2021 about, and wasn't fond of the official one, which is just a leather slip-case with no room for a charger. It's about the same size as many netbooks, but of course netbooks fell out of favour some time ago so cases aren't readily available nowadays. Then I realised that its dimensions would fit within a standard-sized insulated (so, padded) lunch-bag - problem solved!

I grabbed a plain navy-blue lunch-bag by Australian company Smash on Amazon UK, used some heavy-duty fabric-glue to attach a Tux/Linux patch to cover the logo tag that was sewn into the front of the bag, and then added a keychain as a finishing touch to make the zipper easier to get at (computer-genius Blue Bomberman is clearly the only correct choice for my laptop-bag, here ).

These particular plain bags are a little deeper than the standard varieties depicting characters and logos, so it can fit my GPD Win Max 2021, GPD MicroPC, Anbernic RG351MP, and (not pictured) a charger, which was a nice bonus. Obviously I put in some extra padding between these items when I'm actually using the bag and not just taking pictures of it!

I'm really happy with this solution, and just had to share it in case it's handy for anyone else who's using exotic portables or reviving netbooks, and needs a decent padded carry-case with a good amount of room for extras.
StoneColdSpider Sep 14, 2022
That does look really awesome......

I hope the bag wasnt filled with spiders when it came from Oz........

But it raises 1 really interesting question in my head......... If it got lost or stolen would you be more upset about losing the contents in the bag......... or the bomberman keyring?????
Pengling Sep 14, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThat does look really awesome......
Thanks very much!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI hope the bag wasnt filled with spiders when it came from Oz........
This feels like the beginnings of an urban-legend or clickbait article. Beanie Babies never recovered from that, and now nor will these lunch-bags!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBut it raises 1 really interesting question in my head......... If it got lost or stolen would you be more upset about losing the contents in the bag......... or the bomberman keyring?????
How would it get lost? It's got a Bomberman guarding it!
BlackBloodRum Sep 14, 2022
Good idea!

I would have gone with stitching the patch on, since in my experience glued patches on fabric tend to fall off after a long time

I've got a new laptop being delivered soon, but it'll be going in my old laptop case I've had for.. well so long that it's the old style case with hard edges and isn't "soft to push" like modern ones, it's older than my current laptop which is from 2007-2008

Considering I'm going down from a 17" laptop to a mini-15" laptop, I might be able to fit the deck in along side it

Can't see a steam deck though? is your deck okay? Looks like you have some space to the side for it!

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 14 September 2022 at 7:32 am UTC
Pengling Sep 14, 2022
Quoting: BlackBloodRumGood idea!
Ee, thanks much!

Quoting: BlackBloodRumI would have gone with stitching the patch on, since in my experience glued patches on fabric tend to fall off after a long time
To be honest, any other time I would've too, but the fabric of the bag is rather thick - I didn't want to wreck up my fingers, especially since it hasn't been too long since I sewed a patch onto a baseball cap and did exactly that.

Quoting: BlackBloodRumI've got a new laptop being delivered soon, but it'll be going in my old laptop case I've had for.. well so long that it's the old style case with hard edges and isn't "soft to push" like modern ones, it's older than my current laptop which is from 2007-2008
Nice one!

Quoting: BlackBloodRumConsidering I'm going down from a 17" laptop to a mini-15" laptop, I might be able to fit the deck in along side it
This I've gotta see!

Quoting: BlackBloodRumCan't see a steam deck though? is your deck okay? Looks like you have some space to the side for it!
Even with my love of portables, I must admit that I don't have a Steam Deck - tempting though it is, it'd be a bit redundant due to the GPD Win Max 2021.
BlackBloodRum Sep 15, 2022
Quoting: PenglingTo be honest, any other time I would've too, but the fabric of the bag is rather thick - I didn't want to wreck up my fingers, especially since it hasn't been too long since I sewed a patch onto a baseball cap and did exactly that.
Ah yes, been there done that!

Quoting: PenglingThis I've gotta see!
I might have underestimated the steam decks case size

I did a preliminary check and while it "does" technically fit, it's a squeeze because it'll have to go in opposite direction to the case (so vertically in a horizontal case), it fits but it's a "push and pop in" and it's edge to edge to the top/bottom of the case

I'm thinking over time that might be too much pressure for either one of the cases and damage one of them

So I'll think I'll leave the separate

The new laptop will fit just fine though with plenty of space

Quoting: PenglingEven with my love of portables, I must admit that I don't have a Steam Deck - tempting though it is, it'd be a bit redundant due to the GPD Win Max 2021.
You'll give in to temptation soon enough and have one just like everyone else
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.