Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Do you remember when?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Oct 1, 2022
Instead of buying digital games on sale online, you'd buy them cheap second hand?

Found this sticker on one of my old games.. instant flashback.

Simpler times...
StoneColdSpider Oct 1, 2022
Pepperidge Farm Remembers..........

I remember in the late 90's early 00's the local school use to host the Computer Markets every Sunday....... I build many computers from the parts I bought there......... Lots of good stuff there for cheap........

There was always a fat old guy with a wizards beard selling old DOS games like Lemmings and Jazz Jackrabbit and Alley Cat........ Those days are long gone too :(

On an unrealted note is that game any good????
Pengling Oct 1, 2022
I remember alright.

Quoting: BlackBloodRumFound this sticker on one of my old games.. instant flashback.
I remember that some places would give you a higher trade-in price if you left their stickers on the box and returned to the same store (since it was basically advertising). I know that they're considered the bane of collectors these days, but I find them terribly nostalgic.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI remember in the late 90's early 00's the local school use to host the Computer Markets every Sunday....... I build many computers from the parts I bought there......... Lots of good stuff there for cheap........
They tended to be called "Computer Fairs" over here, and oh man, I miss them so much! In the late 1990s, one brazen local outfit even sold (fairly professional-looking) CD-ROMs containing emulation stuff, each themed around a given retro system - this was timely, since Sony pursuing Bleem! and Connectix in court over emulation of the then-current PlayStation had put emulators in the spotlight. I hadn't considered at that point that it also applied to older systems, so it was an eye-opener about something that I was already interested in.
furaxhornyx Oct 1, 2022
My latest acquisition was Eternal Champions, on Sega Megadrive, in 2019.

I found it in a shop that is still selling cartridges and maybe even consoles from that era... I was so happy to finally find that game, that I loved, at a decent price (usually around 80-100€, I got it with the box and manual for 20€ )
WorMzy Oct 1, 2022
There's still a market for this sort of thing -- CEX in the UK only sells second hand games and tech, and occasionally have gems from the 90s (or earlier). I sometimes poke my head in and see what they have on display.
Chuckaluphagus Oct 1, 2022
I have a good monthly electronics market near me, with a lot of video games and old consoles available. I also live a few towns over from a truly excellent used game shop. Between the two of them, I've picked up a lot of Nintendo games for the DS, 3DS, Wii, and WiiU over the past few years.

I buy a lot of stuff on Humble and Steam, too, but for consoles I am not a fan of digital-only purchases. Very happy to have options in that regard.
BlackBloodRum Oct 3, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderPepperidge Farm Remembers..........

I remember in the late 90's early 00's the local school use to host the Computer Markets every Sunday....... I build many computers from the parts I bought there......... Lots of good stuff there for cheap........

There was always a fat old guy with a wizards beard selling old DOS games like Lemmings and Jazz Jackrabbit and Alley Cat........ Those days are long gone too :(

On an unrealted note is that game any good????

That old guy sounds like me

To be honest, I haven't played the game in many hundreds of years, since before I was a teen! So I can't quite remember how good or bad it was

Quoting: PenglingI remember that some places would give you a higher trade-in price if you left their stickers on the box and returned to the same store (since it was basically advertising). I know that they're considered the bane of collectors these days, but I find them terribly nostalgic.
Yup, a lot of collectors first question will be "Does it have a sticker?".. but at one point even brand new games had stickers on them sometimes with simple things like "Includes special bonus levels!" or such, or a price sticker etc.

You could get them off cleanly sometimes, or other times it'd be more difficult. But I agree it adds character, a relic of the past if you would. I mean, it's retro and fitting of the time

Quoting: furaxhornyxMy latest acquisition was Eternal Champions, on Sega Megadrive, in 2019.

I found it in a shop that is still selling cartridges and maybe even consoles from that era... I was so happy to finally find that game, that I loved, at a decent price (usually around 80-100€, I got it with the box and manual for 20€ )
Wow! Still buying old mega drive games?

Honestly my collection is mostly just old games I had as a child so, I haven't purchased one in many, many years. Although, back then if you had tried to charge €80+ for a game... you'd never get the money for it :-P

(At least, not from the people I knew)

Quoting: WorMzyThere's still a market for this sort of thing -- CEX in the UK only sells second hand games and tech, and occasionally have gems from the 90s (or earlier). I sometimes poke my head in and see what they have on display.

Really? If I'm honest I've never actually walked into a CEX store. I usually buy new though and keep things for many years. (I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder?)

Quoting: ChuckaluphagusI have a good monthly electronics market near me, with a lot of video games and old consoles available. I also live a few towns over from a truly excellent used game shop. Between the two of them, I've picked up a lot of Nintendo games for the DS, 3DS, Wii, and WiiU over the past few years.

I buy a lot of stuff on Humble and Steam, too, but for consoles I am not a fan of digital-only purchases. Very happy to have options in that regard.

Whaat you have an electronics market near you? You mean with proper stalls and everything? I haven't seen one in years!

I agree with the whole having digital only as an option, it's not always great. Sometimes it's nice to just "hold and touch" something you've purchased you know.

I don't purchase TV/Movies/Music online, simply because I feel I can't trust those companies to not "revoke access" because they changed their mind for some silly reason at some point and it becomes wasted money. I believe it was Disney that did that once with their Christmas movies near xmas, you had to buy them again to watch them or something like that. I know it made a lot of people angry at the time. At least with an item on the shelf, it can't be taken away so easily.

(I have the same argument against DRM though)
furaxhornyx Oct 5, 2022
Quoting: BlackBloodRum
Quoting: furaxhornyxMy latest acquisition was Eternal Champions, on Sega Megadrive, in 2019.

Wow! Still buying old mega drive games?

Well, I really wanted that one
Also, I am still keeping an eye on this one https://megacatstudios.com/collections/16-bit/products/tanglewood , released in... 2018
Mezron Oct 5, 2022
Thrift stores in NYC still have a lot of physical games for sale. I still buy physical games from places like Indiebox and Limited Run Games when they are cheap.

Last edited by Mezron on 5 October 2022 at 7:07 pm UTC
damarrin Oct 6, 2022
I did stop by a local used game shop yesterday. It's filled to the brim with dross that no one wants, like old versions of fifa of cartoon tie-ins. Anything even remotely worthwhile (like the God of War collection on the Vita) is very expensive and even then they had just a couple of things like that.

I guess the only chance to snag something interesting at a reasonable price is when someone doesn't know what they're selling, like a general junk market or a garage sale.
StoneColdSpider Oct 6, 2022
Quoting: damarrinI did stop by a local used game shop yesterday. It's filled to the brim with dross that no one wants, like old versions of fifa of cartoon tie-ins.
That is the main problem with used game stores anywhere....... They are filled to the brim with Madden and Fifa games....... And anything even remotely good/interesting has a price tag on it that would make even Bobby Kotick say "Damn thats expensive..."
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.