Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What about CardBoard VR?
Lachu Nov 2, 2022
I am wonder if I should play VR games. Before I bought hardware, I decided to test VR on phone.
Linas Nov 3, 2022
Unless you have one of those special phones designer for VR (like the discontinued Google Daydream), you will have a terrible experience. Firstly the head tracking on a phone is way too laggy and imprecise, the picture resolution, and refresh rates are also not sufficient. Almost guaranteed to give you nausea, and would not be a good representation of a true VR experience.

Try looking up if there is a VR entertainment center near where you live. An example of one in Denmark: https://www.vrlimitless.dk/
Chuckaluphagus Nov 3, 2022
I thought Google Cardboard was an impressive tech demo for its time, but it won't give you a sense of what a VR headset is like now. I tried an Oculus Quest 2 last year, and for all that I was not hugely impressed, it was still far ahead of Cardboard in tracking, haptics, and the overall experience.

If you can find a way to install it, the one game for Cardboard that I loved was Dejobaan Games' Caaaaardboard!, a port of their game "A Reckless Disregard For Gravity" - it's BASE jumping from the edge of space, and in VR, looking down, it was phenomenal. It knew the limitations of the platform, took advantage of the available capabilities, and made for an engaging and genuinely immersive experience - the only Cardboard app I ever found that did so.
damarrin Nov 7, 2022
Nintendo Switch has decent VR with the Labo VR set. Maybe you know someone with one?
Julius Nov 7, 2022
The hand controls are such a vital part of VR, at least equally important to the head-set itself. You don't have that with Cardboard, so it is a very limited experience.

Just try to find someone or some place where you can test a real VR system, preferably SteamVR, although Quest1/2 are also ok as a simple demo.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.