Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Weekend Players' Club 11/26/2022
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
itscalledreality Nov 26, 2022
Rules: share what games you’re playing, what non-gaming activities you’re entertaining this last week AND upcoming week

———

Another lovely autumnal week as we slip into December. NYC has remained relatively warm and my new apartment is sandwiched in between two floors. I actually turned off my heat and it has been a good temperature. I even have opened my windows today and the cool breeze is nice.

I have been busy attempting to find furnishings in this dreadfully expensive economy. I am now a devout used furniture or DIY scrapper now. Which has been okay but even some of the components for DIY projects are expensive now. Furthermore I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this attitude and it has made it nearly impossible to nab anything really nice on Craigslist that hasn't been sniped already. The pressure is mounting to find an espresso maker before my family shows up for the holidays (might just grab a moka pot)!

I've been dipping into Elden Ring still. I have taken on Renna's (Rina?) quest and am supposed to head to Caelid for a tumble with General Radan. However he snipes me all the time so instead I took the initiative to seek out other things to do. I think this is the moment I finally became comfortable and understood Elden Ring. The other areas of the map often call to me to unlock so I beat the boss and press on to the next area. However this isn't Dark Souls and I need to explore each area as much as possible to really be ready for other areas. It's tough though because sometimes there are things you can't tackle immediately, for example dragons. Overall I'm enjoying it and even found some new pockets to explore in old areas. One that specifically reminded me of Blighttown from Dark Souls, a destroyed village underneath a ridge in a cave below Limgrave.

I also helped cook a Thanksgiving meal this year for 2 people though there was enough food for 12. A friend of mine and I always cook a smoked turkey every year. We couldn't find anyone to join us so we cooked up a smaller one anyways. We also wanted side dishes so we picked a few out. We ended up making some really good cranberry jalapeno-poblano relish from scratch. Also made some stuffed mushrooms (more like ingredients laid on upside-down portobellos, nothing is being packed-in) with green bean casserole which I modified to a miso pepper butter sauce and some crispy fried onions. Finally some scalloped potatoes and a sweet potato puree and truffle sausage stuffing. I halved my recipes, my friend did not. Not sure why but I hope enjoys his scalloped potatoes.

Suffice to say there are plenty of leftovers and I am stuffed.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 26 November 2022 at 11:03 pm UTC
denyasis Nov 26, 2022
Happy Thanksgiving! And Good luck on the furniture hunting! I still have a dresser that I pulled out of a dumpster 15+ years ago. Consignment and thrift stores were a lifesaver for me.

I've been playing Dishonored a bit this week. It's still fun, but I'm pretty bad at it, lol.

I'm also trying to give The Night Of The Rabbit a try. I want to run it on the TV and play with the family via the steam link. Unfortunately, it seems to have issues running with Proton and ProtonDB's suggestions are of no use. There is no sound in the cutscenes (despite the videos playing fine in VLC and the sound working in the game too). I'll try a few proton versions more and then I'll just deal. The subtitles seem to work anyway.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend!
itscalledreality Nov 26, 2022
Quoting: denyasisHappy Thanksgiving! And Good luck on the furniture hunting! I still have a dresser that I pulled out of a dumpster 15+ years ago. Consignment and thrift stores were a lifesaver for me.

I've been playing Dishonored a bit this week. It's still fun, but I'm pretty bad at it, lol.

I'm also trying to give The Night Of The Rabbit a try. I want to run it on the TV and play with the family via the steam link. Unfortunately, it seems to have issues running with Proton and ProtonDB's suggestions are of no use. There is no sound in the cutscenes (despite the videos playing fine in VLC and the sound working in the game too). I'll try a few proton versions more and then I'll just deal. The subtitles seem to work anyway.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend!

You should maybe contact GOG for a job (or maybe you already work there) because you always introduce me to excellent looking titles and they always happen to be on sale. My backlog hates you!

Just picked up The Night of the Rabbit. Also broke my “avoid winter sales” vow.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 26 November 2022 at 11:01 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Nov 26, 2022
G'Day everyone its a very overcast Sunday here...... Well its been a rather shit week….. Maggie my dog passed away peacefully in her sleep Friday morning……. So Ive had to tell nearly everyone in town that she had passed away…… That has not been fun…… I will continue to walk through the town nearly everyday but it wont be the same without her......

In other news my neighbour was throwing out a 40inch TV and a 32inch TV so I grabbed them….. The 40inch went to my parents and the 32inch I kept and im now using that as a second monitor to watch YouTube videos and play emulated games on…… The old TV I was using as a second monitor was starting to die with the colours starting to wash out and on the left and right edges and also developed a few lines on the edges as well….. So it was good timing…... As I was in the process of pricing new monitors to repalce it....

Im currently watching the NCAA College Football…… FOOTBALL!!!!!

The ads are insane……. I had no idea the US had so many different burger joints……. An ad block that consisted of Sonic (a burger joint... not the hedgehog), Wendys, Carls Jr, Papa Johns, Dominos and Pizza hut….

Another ad block...... Burger King, Maccas, Popeyes, Chick Fill A, Taco Bell, KFC, Little Ceasers Pizza...........

No wonder Americans are so EA Sports BIG......

Ad: "like many Americans im a diabetic"
Me: looking at the other ads I can understand why.....…

As for gaming…...

I thought for this weeks screenshots I would look at the snow in each of the NFL games I played this week……..

Madden NFL 08 – Sony PlayStation 2

Madden NFL 2005 – Sony PlayStation 2

ESPN NFL 2K5 – Sony PlayStation 2

NFL 2K – Sega Dreamcast

Madden NFL 2003 – Sony PlayStation 2

Onto the gaming for this past week I played…...

Arcade

Trivial Pursuit (All Star Sports Edition) - (1984 Bally Sente) - Board Game

Console

ESPN NFL 2K5 (2004 Sega) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Jeopardy! Sports Edition (1994 GameTek) - Sega Mega Drive - Quiz
Jeopardy! Sports Edition (1994 GameTek) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Quiz
Madden NFL 08 (2007 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Madden NFL 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
NBA 2K - (1999 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Basketball)
NFL 2K (1999 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Football)
NHL 2K (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Hockey)
Tecmo Super Bowl 2023 (2022 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)

The best game I played this week was……. NFL 2K (1999 Sega)….. This is a damn good game for its time…… And also being the first game in the NFL 2K its a very good foundation….. Im looking forward to play the other two NFL 2K games on the Dreamcast in the upcoming weeks….

The worst game I played this week was….. Jeopardy! Sports Edition (1994 GameTek)…. I have heard of Jeopardy a few times but have never seen it……. I was so confused playing Jeopardy!.... So they give you the answer and you have to answer the answer in a form of a question?!?!?!?!?!

Q: He was really confused playing this game…
A: Who is StoneColdSpider?

That makes no god damn sense to me……

And the most shocking part of it is that I looked up the show……. ITS BEEN GOING SINCE 1964?????….. AND ITS STILL GOING???!?!?!?!

39 seasons of this confusing mess???……. Yeah im glad that stayed in America and didnt come here in any mainstream way……

The other bad game I played this week was…. NHL 2K (2000 Sega)….. This game is just not fun to play….. And has a heap of problems….. AI is very very stupid…… Activley skating away from the puck…… Skating into each other and getting stuck……. Passing the puck is a pain...... Its not a very polished game at all…… I can see why there is no NHL 2K1…… as they missed a year and brought out NHL 2K2……. They would have needed that time to improve the game play…… Dont play this one…..

As for the up coming week im going to play…..

NBA 2K1 - (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Basketball)
NFL 2K1 (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Football)
There was no NHL 2K1….

There will also be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game as well as another Kirby game…..

I will also be doing a Gaming Advent Calendar this year…… Starting December 1st… 25 games for the 25 days of Christmas…. I gave the list of 25 games to my lovely assisstant who jumbled them up and will give them back to me…… And everyday I will open the door and see what game im playing that day…… 23 Sports Games and 2 Non Sports games…… It should be a good bit of fun…..

Quoting: itscalledrealityI have been busy attempting to find furnishings in this dreadfully expensive economy. I am now a devout used furniture or DIY scrapper now.
Most of my furniture and kitchen appliances and other stuff I have picked up from the OpShops (Charity Shops, Goodwill, what ever you call them where you live) over the years….. You can pick up some really good stuff for really cheap….. Good luck with your hunting mate….

Quoting: denyasisI'm also trying to give The Night Of The Rabbit a try.
If you get it working let me know what you think of it…… I have it….. But have never played it…..

Well thats it from me…… Have a good week everyone…...

[EDIT]
Was meant to say I like the name change..... Feels like we can talk about any games and our club meetings are on the weekend

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 26 November 2022 at 11:41 pm UTC
denyasis Nov 27, 2022
Quoting: itscalledrealityYou should maybe contact GOG for a job (or maybe you already work there) because you always introduce me to excellent looking titles and they always happen to be on sale. My backlog hates you!

Just picked up The Night of the Rabbit. Also broke my “avoid winter sales” vow.

Lol. I don't think I have the competencies for working at a place like GOG. I sort of clean up the streets for a living for a small municipality.

Sorry to tempt you into sacrificing your wallet! I still can't figure out the sound on the cutscenes, lol.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider39 seasons of this confusing mess???……. Yeah im glad that stayed in America and didnt come here in any mainstream way……

My dude, Jeopardy is an institution! I grew up watching that with my family every night after dinner. It was good fun shouting out the answers at the TV.

Last edited by denyasis on 27 November 2022 at 1:36 am UTC
Pengling Nov 27, 2022
New car smell? Ah! The weekend thread's name-change went ahead! That makes for a nice fresh coat of paint, there, itscalledreality.

The latest entry in my Bomberman marathon is "Bomberman 2" for the Nintendo DS (not to be confused with Bomberman II for the NES) - or, to give it its much cooler and more relevant Japanese title, Custom Battler Bomberman. I have no idea why they changed it - it isn't related to the first DS Bomberman game. This one was only released in Japan, the UK, and Europe - it skipped North America for some reason, even though the English translation uses US-English.

Bomberman 2/Custom Battler Bomberman doesn't actually star Bomberman himself, but rather a futuristic personified anti-virus program that was named in his honour and modelled after him due to his past heroism. This Bomberman program has to clear out viruses and hackers from the various zones of the Mother Computer that controls more-or-less everything in futuristic Grid City, as criminals are leveraging vulnerabilities in cyberspace in order to cause havoc in the real world.

The game borrows elements from Capcom's MegaMan Battle Network RPG series (an off-shoot of their Mega Man platformer series, focussed on an alternate world where computing became the focus instead of robotics), and to a degree also has a bit of overlap with the excellent animated movie Summer Wars (which this game slightly pre-dates). I've been looking forward to playing it for a while, as I really dig its Tron-like aesthetics.

My second pick for this weekend is Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - an all-time classic 2D platformer originally released in 1998 for Windows 95. This game had the misfortune to be released at exactly the time when many people were starting to ignore games of this genre, so it took an unfairly long time for it to start earning the recognition that it deserves.

This is the original retail release, which I still have from back in the day, as opposed to Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files, a revised version with added fan-made content which was released at retail later on and was recently given away as a freebie by GOG.com. Though The Secret Files is still a fine game, I was never a fan of the added content, as it didn't feel to me like it fit with the original game as it was designed. Still, if you're a fan of platformers, whichever way you play it, just make sure that you do - Jazz 2 is a really great game.

I haven't properly revisited Jazz 2's single-player mode since it was still a new release, and I've been looking forward to this one just as much as this week's new Bomberman experience!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderG'Day everyone its a very overcast Sunday here...... Well its been a rather shit week….. Maggie my dog passed away peacefully in her sleep Friday morning……. So Ive had to tell nearly everyone in town that she had passed away…… That has not been fun…… I will continue to walk through the town nearly everyday but it wont be the same without her......
As I said in Maggie's memorial thread, I truly am sorry to hear this, Spider. We all know that she'll be remembered, though, and I'm certain that the regulars in these weekend threads won't forget.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe worst game I played this week was….. Jeopardy! Sports Edition (1994 GameTek)…. I have heard of Jeopardy a few times but have never seen it……. I was so confused playing Jeopardy!.... So they give you the answer and you have to answer the answer in a form of a question?!?!?!?!?!

Q: He was really confused playing this game…
A: Who is StoneColdSpider?

That makes no god damn sense to me……

And the most shocking part of it is that I looked up the show……. ITS BEEN GOING SINCE 1964?????….. AND ITS STILL GOING???!?!?!?!

39 seasons of this confusing mess???……. Yeah im glad that stayed in America and didnt come here in any mainstream way……
Quoting: denyasisMy dude, Jeopardy is an institution! I grew up watching that with my family every night after dinner. It was good fun shouting out the answers at the TV.
I have this vague recollection of there being a short-lived UK version of Jeopardy at some point in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I'm guessing that it didn't really catch on here, though, as it's not around today!

Last edited by Pengling on 27 November 2022 at 5:26 am UTC
itscalledreality Nov 27, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderG'Day everyone its a very overcast Sunday here...... Well its been a rather shit week….. Maggie my dog passed away peacefully in her sleep Friday morning…….

Thanks for still contributing in your time of grief.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe ads are insane……. I had no idea the US had so many different burger joints……. An ad block that consisted of Sonic (a burger joint... not the hedgehog), Wendys, Carls Jr, Papa Johns, Dominos and Pizza hut….

American TV ads have degraded because fewer and fewer younger Americans own a TV service. So they're advertising to the hardcore Football game day fan diet. Americans are terribly abusive to ourselves and yes a lot of our culture has devolved into various chain fast-food joints. There are even more, if you know anything about Seattle, WA then you know about Starbucks and how there is nearly one on every corner it seems like. Well in Texas they have a similar phenomenon but instead it's a place called Whataburger.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWas meant to say I like the name change..... Feels like we can talk about any games and our club meetings are on the weekend

Yes I clarified the Rules as well to include a broader range of time rather than weekend only. Glad you like it!

Last edited by itscalledreality on 27 November 2022 at 6:48 am UTC
peta77 Nov 27, 2022
So I finally took the time to get some games working that need some tinkering to get them running:

Assetto Corsa, Desktop:
now runs fine, except VR.. feels really great to have some good simulator again.. it truely is fun to "really" race the nordschleife again... i'm sure this will occupy me now more often again..

Syberia, first one, on Deck:
it's weird to play a point and click on the deck, but it now runs fine and the story seems quite interesting... it's just sometimes hard to find objects when playing on the deck.. or i'm bad at p&c generally... but for the story i'd like to go through this one... and s2 and s3.. didn't buy the current one (before ... blablabla...) yet...

also spent some money on the current sale:

slide tracked
nice little puzzle game... starts very easy but get's more demanding quickly; still manageable though... like to play it on the deck with the touch screen... cool idea and a nice one to play for a few minutes in between...

star trek: bridge crew
works great without any issues in vr... gameplay? ... well.... you're mainly the captain in single player... so there's not much action.. giving commands and hope the crew is good at fulfilling them... the dlcs are not worth it in my opinion.. you get the original bridge of two of the original enterprises, but i get the feeling i have reduced overview... i prefer the standard ship of the game... for hardcore trekkies the preference might be different of course... anyway, for single player it's more of a strategy game... you rather set the plan and watch others execute it than having some "real" interaction... but it's ok for that kind of game.. i guess i will be playing that once in a while.. at least just to get the main campaign finished...
StoneColdSpider Nov 28, 2022
Quoting: denyasisMy dude, Jeopardy is an institution! I grew up watching that with my family every night after dinner. It was good fun shouting out the answers at the TV.
Well thats fitting cause it belongs in an institution....... A Mental Institution........

Quoting: PenglingThe latest entry in my Bomberman marathon is "Bomberman 2" for the Nintendo DS (not to be confused with Bomberman II for the NES) - or, to give it its much cooler and more relevant Japanese title, Custom Battler Bomberman. I have no idea why they changed it - it isn't related to the first DS Bomberman game. This one was only released in Japan, the UK, and Europe - it skipped North America for some reason, even though the English translation uses US-English.
I never would have guessed you played a Bomberman game...... Im in total shock......

Quoting: itscalledrealityThanks for still contributing in your time of grief.
Typing it up helped me get my mind of things for a while so it was good doing it

Quoting: peta77Assetto Corsa, Desktop:
What wheel are you using???
I havnt played a racing sim since my twitch to linux.....
peta77 Nov 28, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Quoting: peta77Assetto Corsa, Desktop:
What wheel are you using???
I havnt played a racing sim since my twitch to linux.....

I'm using a Logitech G25. Works well with most games I've tried so far: F1 2015/2017, Grid Autosport, Dirt 4 / Rally, Project Cars 1 / 2, ....

Only racing game that doesn't work (yet) is RaceRoom Racing Experience: Inputs all work, it's just that there's no force feedback (works for the other ones).

What also is not (always) recognized is the POV hat. If I remember correctly, it's for games run through proton only that you can't use it. In ETS2 it works.

And if you're trying to get Assetto Corsa to run on Linux, the guide that helped me was:
Assetto Corsa: How to play on Linux (Proton, Steam Deck)
It's currently also on sale.

Looking at how weird / complicated the process is, I wonder how people come up with that kind of stuff. Some people out there seem to have no life. But I don't wanna complain as it helped me a lot and it was the only game I was missing from Windows.

Last edited by peta77 on 28 November 2022 at 2:30 pm UTC
Mezron Nov 28, 2022
Played Cartoon Network Crossover Crisis Deck-Building Game, Ticket to Ride Ghost Train and A Game of Thrones Catan this past weekend. The stand out for me is CNCC...I want it and it's on sale near me for $8.99 so I'm picking it up tonight.

I started playing The First Tree yesterday night and I like this game a lot. I ended VirtuaVerse. Took me about 2 to 3 hours, not 100% on the time but I liked it. It went bizarre towards the middle but that was fine. It's been uninstalled. I also uninstalled Orion Trail, it was 100% when I last logged in.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.