Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Forza Horizon 5 freezing constantly (unplayable)
Ewsg Nov 28, 2022
Hi there!

I would be extremely grateful in to count with your help if possible.

I am trying to run Forza Horizon 5 on my Manjaro Linux (through Valve's Proton), but the game is practically unplayable. It freezes after just a few minutes, forcing me to ALB+TAB and click on that Steam button to close it.

I am on a hybrid system, with a GTX 1060 graphics card, 16GB of RAM and an intel i7 7700 processor. On this same system I can perfectly run several other games, and currently I am playin No Man's Sky without issues, for example.

But Forza Horizon 5 does not runs. I have also played around with several options, enabling and disabling things, reducing the overall quality, etc, etc, without success.

The game freezes completely while the sound still playing. I looked at ProtonDB and saw that many people are getting to play it on Linux, so I really don´t understand what is happening here.

I noticed that totally disabling the firewall (I have GUFW) results in more time of “gameplay” (I can play a bit more before the game freezes totally). But the game always freezes, unfortunately.

In the few minutes I get to play it, it is perfectly playable. I mean, in that few minutes (2 or 3 minutes), everything goes smoothly, without issues. Until the freezing happens, of course.

Thanks in advance for any help.
tuubi Nov 28, 2022
Based on a quick look, all the good results on ProtonDB seem to be on an AMD GPU, and Nvidia users are experiencing frequent crashes just like you. Seems like it's also necessary to switch to Proton Experimental or GE for this game.
Ewsg Nov 28, 2022
Thanks for your answer.

So, I am already using Proton Experimental.

But I'll try Proton GE to see if it solves the issue.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.