You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 12/4/2022
itscalledreality Dec 4, 2022
Rules: share what games you’re playing, what non-gaming activities you’re entertaining this last week AND upcoming week

———

Hello and apologies for a such a late post this week. I finished work early on Friday and thought, "hey I should post the Weekend Players' Club post early for once" and then I kept playing Elden Ring. Similarily I woke up today did my errands and chores and hauled a heavy murphy bed frame up to my 3rd floor apartment alone and thought "Oh I forgot the Weekend Players' Club post I should post it now that I have a minute" then I played Elden Ring.

Suffice to say I have been putting too much time into Elden Ring I can't even catch-up those who are uninterested in my progress in a short enough paragraph. I am somewhere inbetween quests. Funny enough I beat Radan today. It took me the entire week to level up enough to feel comfortable kicking his butt and his one-shot kills are still BS sometimes but what From Software boss doesn't have a BS move to pull on the player?

Now I am continuing Ranni's quest in the Eternal City which now I've left I guess and am actually in a wooded tree area. Not sure why we have to reach the city but here I am headed down the underground road.

I will not be playing Elden Ring tomorrow as I need to catch up on Christmas decorations. Which means I need to purchase some stuff and find a tree and a stand and get my holiday act together so that the family can have an enjoyable time in the city when they arrive.

Then I'll probably settle down for some ELDEN RING ELDEN RING ELDEN RING until my eyes bleed out.

I also recently watched this film City of Lost Children which stars Ron Perlman. It was a great little movie (I'm a huge fan of the director in general) but the relationship between Ron Perlman and the little girl reminded me entirely of Bioshock. There is even a scene where Ron lifts her into a vent. I could not find anything online connecting the two pieces of media. I did however read that Bioshock was influenced by Dark City. Which is a very fun movie and Bioshock practically ripped the art style from it (syringes and all). That's fine (Dark City does it better). What I actually found most striking about Dark City was not it's likeness to Bioshock but rather had a very immersive-sim/sci-fi-fps feel to the entire concept. I was easily able to imagine a game set in the Dark City world. Maybe that's not video game-y but a good indicator of excellent world building. I recommend it!

Last edited by itscalledreality on 4 December 2022 at 8:20 am UTC
StoneColdSpider Dec 4, 2022
G'Day everyone its a very dark Sunday night here……. Been another shit week…… I got a cold….. So thats not been fun….. The other day I went and had a nice hot bath to help with the cold…… The steam went up my nose and cleared the mucus....... Then it went running down my throat and started to choke me........ I nearly died like a rock star........ Naked and chocking on my own fluids.....…

So I have been home hibernating for most of the week….. I did a little bit of yard work before I got sick…… I didnt fall of the ladder this time……

I also picked up Maggies urn this week and she has return home…..

The Denver Broncos keep on losing…… They lost to the Carloina Panthers 23 – 10 last weekend…… and the week before they lost to division rivals Las Vegas Raiders 22 – 16 in Overtime…..

This weekend….. They will be losing to the Baltimore Ravens…. The Broncos are playing horrible football and every game they play is worse than the last…...

As for this past week in gaming week I played……

Arcade

NHL Open Ice: 2 on 2 Challenge (1995 Midway) - Sports (Hockey)

Console

ESPN NFL 2K5 (2004 Sega) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (1994 Nintendo) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Baseball)
Kirby's Adventure (1993 Nintendo) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
NBA 2K1 (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Basketball)
NFL 2K1 (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Football)
Santa Claus Junior (2001 JoWooD) - Nintendo Game Boy Color - Platformer
Tecmo Super Bowl 2023 (2022 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989 Konami) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
World Series Baseball 2K1 (2000 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Baseball)
World Series Baseball 2K2 (2001 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Baseball)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989 Konami)…….. Is a terrible terrible game…….. That dam section is so annoying and badly designed……. The sewer sections are also badly designed and annoying…… And when you fall into the water you cant swim and you die……. HOW DOES THAT WORK THEY ARE TURTLES!?!?!?!?! THEY CAN SWIM IN THE DAM SECTION JUST FINE!!!!

Kirby's Adventure (1993 Nintendo)….. Is a much much better game…… Though at times it is way to cute its sickening…… Its a very well designed game and way more fun than the Turtles game….. And Kirby can swim…….

The 2022 Gaming Advent Calendar has started……. I gave my lovely assistant a list of 25 games for the 25 days of Christmas…….. And they have jumbled them all up and every day I will open the door and see what game I will play that day……... Of these 25 games I have not played 24 of them at all before….. And the one I have played before I just played for a few minutes to check the rom worked back in 2016 and never touched again…….. There are 23 sports games and 2 non sports games……

Day 1 of the 2022 Gaming Advent Calendar was……..

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (1994 Nintendo) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Baseball)

This game is actually quite good….. Its an arcade style baseball game with exaggerated player sprites that really show off the roided players off that era…… The game has the MLB licence so it has all the teams and logos……. But it does not have the MLBPA licence so no real player names besides Ken Griffey Jr……. Its a fast paced game and games can be done in like 20minutes…… Im not really into Baseball but I would deffinently play this again if I felt like a 16-Bit baseball game……

Day 2 of the 2022 Gaming Advent Calendar was……..

NHL Open Ice: 2 on 2 Challenge (1995 Midway) - Sports (Hockey)

Its NBA Jam on ice…….. Really good simple fast paced arcade game….. Just what you would expect from Midway in the mid 90’s…… has the full NHL and NHLPA licence….. The graphics are good for the time…… With some really nice sprite scailing……. Would deffinently play this one again…… The game was ported to the Sony PlayStation in 1996…… I will have to check that that version as well one day…….

Day 3 of the 2022 Gaming Advent Calendar was……..

World Series Baseball 2K2 (2001 Sega) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Baseball)

Its a simulation baseball game that plays alright for a early 2000s simulation baseball game…… Its has both the MBL and MBLPA licences to its has all the teams and nearly all the players……. Graphics are ok for the Dreamcast……. There is nothing groundbreaking about this game and theres no reason to play it over Major League Baseball 2K5 or MVP Baseball 2005…..

Day 4 of the 2022 Gaming Advent Calendar was……..

Santa Claus Junior (2001 JoWooD) - Nintendo Game Boy Color – Platformer

There are only a very few real Christmas games…… And this is apparently one of the best……. I would hate the see the worst (Foreshadowing?)……. The stoy is that Santa got kidnapped by a witch and it is up to you to save Santa and by extension save Christmas……… Its not terrible by any means but its not great either…… Its your typical bog standard platformer……. It looks nice….. The graphics and the animations are very well done….. The music is very hit or miss….. At points it sounds quite nice….. At other points it sounds like a cat walking across a keyboard…… The game play is fine and very repsonsive….. The enermies are annoying though….. And there are way to enemies you cant kill…… The difficulty ramps up to some insane levels towards the end….. Oh did I also mention there are no continues???…… Once u run out of lives its game over…… No continues……. Its a very hit and miss game…… And if it wasnt for the Christmas theme of the game it probably would be long forgotten by now and never talked about my anyone……..

As for the up coming week…… Im hoping to get over my cold during the week…… And that will determin what I do…… I need to finish the yard work and and get some other odds and ends sorted……

As for gaming I have no idea what im going to be playing this week as the Gaming Advent Calendar will be continuing……. And I have no idea what are behind the up coming doors…..

Quoting: itscalledrealityHello and apologies for a such a late post this week. I finished work early on Friday and thought, "hey I should post the Weekend Players' Club post early for once" and then I kept playing Elden Ring.
Thats ok…. Though I was getting worried you took your cheap furniture hunting a bit to seriously and fell in a dumpster and couldnt get out……

Well thats it from me…… Have a good week everyone……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
What happens if you have sex with an alligator prostitute??
You get Gatorades....
*ba dum.... tssssh*
Pengling Dec 4, 2022

"Thanks for playing. Goodnight."
The short-lived free-to-play title Super Bomberman R Online (not to be confused with Super Bomberman R ended in the early hours of December 1st. I played it almost every day this year, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, as it was a well-balanced and well-presented game - and they never kicked anyone out for using Proton, which was nice. Luckily it turned out to be a feature-test for upcoming paid sequel, Super Bomberman R 2, and R Online's 64-player battle-royale mode will be rolled into that, so it's not gone forever! Hopefully the Proton thing was a signal that they're aiming for Deck Verified status with the next one? Anyway, so long Super Bomberman R Online, and thanks for all the bombs!

Anyway, with the festive season barging in, as it is wont to do, decorating means that I've only got time for one pick this weekend, and that is...

... New Super Lucky's Tale - a cute and very charming 3D platformer that's a damn sight better than the games that inspired it. I'm not usually a 3D-platformer fan, but this is a rare exception, and deservedly so - it's an absolute joy to play, with responsive controls and moves that flow together nicely (the latter being something that I really enjoyed about Zool Redimensioned a couple of weeks ago, too). The character-designs are adorable, the story hits the right animated movie-style notes, and most importantly of all, it's just plain fun.

I did have an issue with the game picking the wrong resolution on my GPD Win Max 2021 on first-run, resulting in a pillarboxed display that cut off parts of the image, but that was easily fixed by adjusting the graphics settings in the pause-menu (though you do need to play through a stage after doing this so that the game auto-saves, or else the resolution change won't stick, which feels like an odd oversight). That aside, it's completely perfect out-of-the-box with Proton, and it had a small Steam Deck-related update very recently, too. If you're a Linux user who likes this genre, this is a really solid choice (and there's a demo too, if you're not sure).

Bomberman will be back with an extra-special pick next weekend. Until then, here's Wario's Christmas Tale - a strange little comic adaptation of A Christmas Carol that appeared in the official German Nintendo magazine back in the 1990s (it's shown in fan-translated form here), in which Bomberman appears in the role that Bob Cratchit had in the original story.

Quoting: itscalledrealityHello and apologies for a such a late post this week. I finished work early on Friday and thought, "hey I should post the Weekend Players' Club post early for once" and then I kept playing Elden Ring. Similarily I woke up today did my errands and chores and hauled a heavy murphy bed frame up to my 3rd floor apartment alone and thought "Oh I forgot the Weekend Players' Club post I should post it now that I have a minute" then I played Elden Ring.
Y'know, this feels like a truly fitting reason for a delay, and it made me smile - after all, gaming is what it's all about!

Quoting: itscalledrealityThen I'll probably settle down for some ELDEN RING ELDEN RING ELDEN RING until my eyes bleed out.
Hey, you sound like me with Bomberman.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989 Konami)…….. Is a terrible terrible game…….. That dam section is so annoying and badly designed……. The sewer sections are also badly designed and annoying…… And when you fall into the water you cant swim and you die……. HOW DOES THAT WORK THEY ARE TURTLES!?!?!?!?! THEY CAN SWIM IN THE DAM SECTION JUST FINE!!!!
There was an MS-DOS conversion of this game, and they managed to include an impossible jump in one of the sewer areas, meaning that you simply cannot complete the game. At least you weren't playing that version!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd there are way to enemies you cant kill…… The difficulty ramps up to some insane levels towards the end….. Oh did I also mention there are no continues???…… Once u run out of lives its game over…… No continues……. Its a very hit and miss game…… And if it wasnt for the Christmas theme of the game it probably would be long forgotten by now and never talked about my anyone……..
I'd expect a Christmas game to have a more (ahem) chilled-out level of difficulty than that! This reminds me of Santa's Xmas Caper for the Commodore 64, which was my childhood Christmas game - it's inhumanly hard, and I finally beat it just a couple of years ago after deciding to devote a couple of weeks to it until I could figure out if it was actually possible to beat it at all.

Last edited by Pengling on 4 December 2022 at 2:11 pm UTC
Mezron Dec 5, 2022
I ended The First Tree during the week. I liked it. As a person that encourages and uses therapy, it hit on a lot of levels.

I went to a trivia night thing on Friday. B movies related stuff and played pinball games: Conan, Apollo 13 and Attack From Mars.

Saturday played Heroclix with my friends and family. It was a 4 hour campaign set in Marvel's Manhattan and DC's Alantis. We've been using photos to keep track of positions and stats for continuation of these matches. Next weekend is the last chapter of the campaign which I'm looking forward to.

A friend put me on to Marvel's Snap on Google Play store. I like it a lot.

Last edited by Mezron on 5 December 2022 at 8:24 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.