Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Steam Deck built quality
hihu Dec 12, 2022
Hello together,

I have a Steam Deck (Q2) 512 GB model.

However, when I hold my device very tightly with both hands, I hear a creaking noise on the right side.
The device doesn't feel very sturdy.

I already contacted the support. They told me it's not an RMA case because this kind of problem does not affect the functionality.

I was able to soften the noise a little by removing the back panel and reinstalling it, but the noise is not gone completely (when the device is heating up it's still noticeable).

So I just wanted to aks around if somebody else has also this kind of issue.

I also own 2 Steam controllers where the case is similar to the steam deck, but they are very sturdy when hold very tightly.

I also created two videos.

Right side:
https://youtu.be/hMBVyYffxX4

Left side:
https://youtu.be/-SHuKvsJA8c

Thank you very much for your input.
hihu
g000h Dec 13, 2022
Hi. I've just had a look at your videos and also checked my own steamdeck. I do not seem to have the issue that you have.

However, I'd also note that I don't exert lots of pressure onto my one when I'm using it, and if I do apply excess force then it does deform (noiselessly) in a way I'd expect - The device is flatter, longer and more lever-like than a stubby controller, so it'll obviously be less resistant to shearing forces.
hihu Dec 16, 2022
Quoting: g000hHi. I've just had a look at your videos and also checked my own steamdeck. I do not seem to have the issue that you have.

However, I'd also note that I don't exert lots of pressure onto my one when I'm using it, and if I do apply excess force then it does deform (noiselessly) in a way I'd expect - The device is flatter, longer and more lever-like than a stubby controller, so it'll obviously be less resistant to shearing forces.

I’m not applying force to the extreme on the device. I would say I hold as supposed. Where the thumb is on the buttons, the index finger on the back trigger and the middle finger is in this rounding at the back of the case. So I hold it mostly with the middle finger. After removing and reinstalling the backplate, it got a little better when holding it horizontally.

This guy (comment) seems also to have problems with the backplate.

https://eustore.ifixit.com/products/steam-deck-back-plate

I think when its getting worse I should contact the support again.

Thank you anyway
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.