You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
What games do you install on Linux before Christmas?
gbudny Dec 23, 2022
Hi

I have installed and played Christmas Eve Crisis (Freeware) before almost every Christmas since 2010. It's a weird habit, but maybe you do the same thing with other games.

https://www.interactionstudios.com/platformselect.php?demo=CEC

I know that they discontinued all games for Linux in 2020, which is quite annoying.

Last edited by gbudny on 24 December 2022 at 1:32 pm UTC
denyasis Dec 23, 2022
LoL, for some reason, and I can't remember what game it was, but I remember a few games in my childhood that had "Christmas" Easter eggs. Like leaving a message or changing a character's sprite. I'm pretty sure Tyrian was one of them. I remember one has a rather sarcastic message about spending too much time playing and not enough time with family, lol.
BlackBloodRum Dec 23, 2022
Don't think I'll have time for games this xmas! Too much family around

Though, in the new year my plan is to stop buying games and start trying to get through my current games!
Pengling Dec 24, 2022
I don't have any traditions like this (I was away from PC-gaming for a long, long time, and even back then, when a 4GB HDD was enormous, I tended to just leave my favourites installed at all times), but if it counts, as a youngster I used to load up Santa's Xmas Caper on my Commodore 64 throughout December - its music is still THE sound of Christmas, to me.

Quoting: denyasisLoL, for some reason, and I can't remember what game it was, but I remember a few games in my childhood that had "Christmas" Easter eggs. Like leaving a message or changing a character's sprite. I'm pretty sure Tyrian was one of them. I remember one has a rather sarcastic message about spending too much time playing and not enough time with family, lol.
Ok, that's really cool! I'm reminded of how SuperTux puts on a festive look for Christmas, too. I wonder how many more games like that are out there?
StoneColdSpider Dec 24, 2022
I will probably install OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Steam) tonight.......
whizse Dec 24, 2022
No Christmas gaming here I'm afraid. I was thinking of playing Watch Over Christmas but I have such a backlog of adventure games I decided not to. Maybe next year?

This thread did remind me of xsnow though so I decided to install that for some holiday decor. I was pleasantly surprised to see it has been updated to work on a composited desktop and have quite a lot of new features. Nice to see the old traditions kept alive!

Mezron Dec 24, 2022
For my family is use to be Tekken 3. I'm here now and it seems like I'm not alone as a bunch of cousins are tapping out on videos games all around and returning back to card/board games
WorMzy Dec 24, 2022
I just downloaded Dwarf Fortress, SOMA, Mark of the Ninja, and Dishonored onto my Steam Deck ahead of going to my partner's parents house for Christmas/Boxing day. Dunno if I'll get any time to play anything, but it'll be cool to show off t'Deck if I get a chance.
wojtek88 Dec 24, 2022
On Thursday I've finished Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, yesterday I've played little bit of Broken Age, I've tried Game Pass Ultimate via Edge and played 1 hour of Persona 5 Royal.
Today, as it's Christmas time, I've decided to play something close to Santa mood.
I've played Resident Evil 3 Remake for 1 hour 🤣.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.