Steam isn't seeing GE-Proton, any suggestions?
Nanobang Jan 19, 2023
My info:
-Distro: Xubuntu 22.04
-CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
-GPU: Radeon rx 6600 xt
-mesa: 22.2.5 from kisak/turtle repo
-kernal: 5.15.0-58-generic
-ProtonUp-QT 2.7.7, appimage
-Latest Steam stable,
-Steam installed using Steam Installer from Xubuntu's repos.

What's been done and what happened:
Using protonup-qt, I've installed GE-Proton7-43 and 7-45. protonup-qt installed them into /home/me/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/. I've double checked, the files are there, and everything seems in order, yet neither appears in the "Force compatibility tool drop-down".

What I've tried thus far and the results:
-I've restarted Steam and the computer several times, but the problem persists.
-In ProtonUp-QT's "show game list", I've specified GE-Proton 45 for Elex (the game I'm wanting to do this for), but the problem persists.
-I've checked if GE-Proton7-43 or 7-45 appears for any other games in Steam and, no, it doesn't.

Anybody have something like this problem, insights, or suggestions? :)

Last edited by Nanobang on 20 January 2023 at 2:29 pm UTC
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
tuxintuxedo Jan 19, 2023
I haven't tried it, but the official source says: ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d
So you are in the wrong directory.
Nanobang Jan 19, 2023
Quoting: tuxintuxedoI haven't tried it, but the official source says: ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d
So you are in the wrong directory.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a try later today.

UPDATE: I copied /compatibilitytools.d into ~/.steam/root, and Steam saw that. Since it was protonup-qt that originally put it in ~/.local/share/Steam, I just never questioned it. I'll file an issue with the project about that.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nanobang on 20 January 2023 at 2:45 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.