You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 2/3/23
StoneColdSpider Feb 4, 2023
G'Day everyone……. Its your interim host here again...... Its a overcast and rainy Saturday here……. This week has been weird……. The weather has been up and down and has changed from minute to minute……. I got rained on twice during my walks this week….. And didnt go on any walks for another 2 of the days cause of the rain….. Its February here its meant to be the hottest month of the year…….. So ive spent a lot of time inside and ive been able to play quite a few games as the rain fell…...

As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played…….

Arcade

Cyber-Lip (1990 SNK) - Run and gun
Hotdog Storm (1996 Marble) - Shoot 'em up - Vertical
Metamorphic Force (1993 Konami) - Beat 'em up

Console

ESPN NFL 2K5 (2004 Sega) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Kirby's Block Ball (1996 Nintendo) - Nintendo Game Boy - Arcade (Breakout Clone)
Kirby's Pinball Land (1993 Nintendo) - Nintendo Game Boy - Pinball
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (2003 Nintendo) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Golf)
Mario Power Tennis (2004 Nintendo) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Tennis)
MotoGP 08 (2008 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NCAA Football 11 (2010 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Tecmo Super Bowl 2023 (2022 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (1992 Konami) - Sega Mega Drive - Beat 'em up

PC

Backyard Baseball (1997 Humongous Entertainment) - ScummVM - Sports (Baseball)
Backyard Football (1999 Humongous Entertainment) - ScummVM - Sports (Football)

NCAA Football 11 Steve Austin Road to Glory

This week the undefeated Boise State Broncos (5-0) are on the road in San Jose against the San Jose State University Spartans….. (2-4)

As per usual Austin spent one night studying and four nights training and all his new attribute points were put into acceleration……

Lee Corso picking the Boise State Broncos to beat the San Jose State University Spartans……....

Boise State won the coin toss and elected to receive the ball first…… Which ended with a nice touchdown to Steve Austin……. The defense again held up their end of the bargain as they made 5 interceptions and also made 3 fumble recoveries….. But they also let in a touchdown….. That was the first touchdown the defense allowed since the first game……

Steve Austin made the San Jose States defense look stupid at times as he was able to score at all and as Boise State demolished San Jose State 117 – 7……..

The Boise State Cheerleaders in action….

Steve Austins rushing stats again the Spartans…….

NCAA Offensive and Defensive Players Of The Week…….

Steve Austin still #1 on the Heisman watch list……

Campus Gazette issue 8 and 9…...

Next game Boise State will be at home against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs…..

MotoGP 08 Stone Cold Spider Career

Round 5 at Le Mans Bugatti Circuit…….

Its time for round 5 of the 2008 125cc World Championship in Italy……..

After a short qualifying session I was able to put the bike on pole position but it was not easy as it was raining…… My main rival Mike Di Meglio was starting in 4th…….. I hope its not raining for the race…….

On the grid waiting for the lights……

And its raining for the race……. I make the best start I have all season long and lead in the first corner…… From there I made the bike as wide as possible and held my nerve as I did everything I could to keep the pack behind me and was just able to hold on for the win….. with Mike Di Meglio breathing down my neck right behind me in 2nd place……..

I extended my points lead in the championship from 28 points to 33 points…...

First page of the race results for round 5……

First page of the Championship standings after round 5…..

Some nice images of the cool down lap………

Next week I am off to the Mugello Circuit in Italy for Round 6…..

Metamorphic Force

Metamorphic Force……

In my opinion this is the best Konami arcade beat ‘em up game……. Play as one of four anthropomorphic characters…… Ban who transforms into a Minotaur….. Claude who transforms into a werewolf……. Max who transforms into a panther-man…….. Ivan who transforms into a werebear……. The beast modes not are not only more powerful they are also bring in a lot more moves as in human form there are no grabs so therefore no real combos……. In beat mode there are grabs and quite powerful screen clearing moves…… The action is fast and free flowing with very good tight controls and the usual attack and jump buttons….. YES IT HAS A JUMP BUTTON!!!!!….. The graphics and animations are great and the music is really nice with a good fast tempo to match the action……. If you are to play this and highly recommend that you do…… Play the Japanese version…… the US version has a always draining life bar and a bullshit boss gauntlet before the final boss to eat more quarters…….. both of those things are absent from the Japanese version…… Making this much more pleasant and a much fairer experience……..

First Boss…..

Next week im hoping the weather will stabilise and I will be able to get on more walks and get more stuff done around the house……. Its been a pain in the arse getting all this rain at the moment….. I guess I will have to wait and see what the weather does before I can decide on what I will be able to do this week…...

As for gaming there will be the usual NCAA Football 11 and MotoGP 08……. There will be another TMNT game as well maybe even more than one..…… and most probably another Kirby game……

Well thats it from me…… Have a good week everyone……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: How does a penguin make pancakes?
A: With its flippers
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Feb 4, 2023
It's an all-palmtop gaming weekend this week, so everything's in miniature!

First up, we see the return of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (Proton). As I mentioned the last time this collection showed up in my weekend posts, these remasters represent the first time I've revisited these games since the first English-language releases back on the Nintendo DS, and I've found them to be very palmtop-friendly. They also go on for quite a bit, so this one'll be popping up for a while yet!

This time I'll be starting on the second game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All, which adds some new mechanics to questioning witnesses and perpetrators, courtesy of Phoenix's spirit-medium allies, the Fey family. These add a bit more spice to both the investigation and courtroom phases of the game, by way of allowing you to zero in on secrets that certain characters are hiding after you've discovered the relevant plot-points and evidence to get them to spill the beans.

My other pick for this weekend is Bomberman (NES). I first played this particular game during my Bomberman marathon last year, after having put it off for a very long time due to concerns that it might seem a bit too primitive compared to the rest of the franchise, but it ended up becoming one of my favourite titles in the series, hence this revisit.

For such an early installment (it's the third in the series, after Bomber Man/Eric and the Floaters and 3-D Bomberman, but the first one to feature the famous robot protagonist), it really does nail a lot of the series' fundamentals in one fell swoop! It's also one of the entries that has quite keyboard-friendly cornering under emulation, making it a good pick for this hardware.

Last edited by Pengling on 4 February 2023 at 5:48 am UTC
Mezron Feb 4, 2023
For the holidays, I was gifted a Kishi. I use two phones. One is a Google Nexus 5 running UBports and another is BLU V91 running latest android.

Been playing the following:

Teslagrad on Android. I played some of this before at a LAN party a few years ago but did not end it or get past the first boss. I just defeated the first boss and saved. It's cool. I mostly play it when I'm a passenger in a car on the way to something or during transit to work when I'm not WFH. It's nice and looks great on my V91.

Alien: Blackout on Android. I really like this game. I play it under the same conditions. It's really short as I'm at the end with about 1.6 hours in of play time. The story is simple but it's so well done and true to the art style of games like Alien: Isolation that I calling this one a winner.

LOVE on Android. This game is a lot of calm/stress platformer. I'm coming close to ending this one also. Simple platformer with a way to leave your spawn point behind so that if and when you die you respawn back to where you left it. Reminds of the translocator from UT series.
Pengling Feb 5, 2023
Oops! I forgot to include my latest high-score/ending progress for Alien Crush!

My score is currently at 175,481,100 out of 999,999,990.
StoneColdSpider Feb 5, 2023
Quoting: PenglingFirst up, we see the return of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
My other pick for this weekend is Bomberman
So when bomberman gets sued for blowing up the wrong wall Phoenix Wright can defend him in court???.....

Quoting: PenglingMy score is currently at 175,481,100 out of 999,999,990.
This is going to be bigger than Ben Hur.....

Quoting: Arcadius-8606For the holidays, I was gifted a Kishi.
I had no idea what a "Kishi" is...... so I did a duckduckgo search and it showed me a lot of beautiful and scantily dressed asian women...... You did have a great holiday!

Then I saw the Razer Kishi and then realised you were talking about that...... Not quite as exciting...... But im sure you still had a good time.....
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.