Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Games with Unreal Engine do not work
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
mylka Feb 7, 2023
When i launch games with UE it completely shuts down my PC. Like someone pulls the plug

I tried High on Life when it came out. I thought: "maybe some wierd bug"
Then i bought STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order when it was on sale. I thought: "stupid EA APP" even though it should be fixed
Now i got Metamorphosis and it starts.... i see the UNREAL ENGINE logo and my PC crashes. I thought: "wait a minute"

I checked High on Life and Star War and both use the UE
The i was looking, if i have a NATIVE UNREAL Game and i found "Observer". The native version works fine

The last UE Game i played with proton was Manor Lords DEMO. The Demo was only available for a week or so in October 2022, so i cant try it
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1363080/announcements/detail/3282585172181814359

i think back then proton 7.0.4 was the latest version and according to manjaro changelog mesa was on 22.1

any idea whats the problem may be? i use a fully upgraded manjaro with mesa 22.3.4 and kernel 6.1 and 6.2RC. CPU: 3700X. GPU: RX 580

Last edited by mylka on 7 February 2023 at 4:25 pm UTC
Ehvis Feb 7, 2023
Quoting: mylkaThe last UE Game i played with proton was Manor Lords DEMO. The Demo was only available for a week or so in October 2022, so i cant try it

You can probably still install it from here:
https://steamdb.info/app/2122820/
peta77 Feb 7, 2023
I'm currently playing Relicta. That's also UE (4) and runs through Proton. Runs quite good. So it's not UE or Manjaro itself... maybe the AMD GPU driver has problems? Or something else is wrong with the installation... maybe some lib missing?
You could try to start the game and / or steam in the shell and redirect output to some file so it hopefully survives the "shutdown"... maybe something useful shows up there...
Grogan Feb 8, 2023
That sounds related to the mediafoundation API, the intro videos and embedded videos in game use that. Wine emulates them and it works for some codecs in some games, Valve Proton has a media converter that is supposed to work.

There is a mediafoundation install script that extracts them from Windows 7 SP1. Those are getting long in the tooth, but may still work in some scenarios.

https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install
https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-installcab

If going that route, I'd recommend running the mf-install script first, then mf-installcab. It shouldn't be necessary to do both, but I've found that the first one seems to do something (wine registry?) that makes it work and also it will a usable copy of mfplat.dll in your wine prefix.

First though (as recommended in the readme for mf-install I see now, even) try the newest Proton you can for example Proton Experimental (or proton experimental bleeding edge) and hopefully the media converter will work for you.
whizse Feb 8, 2023
As a general rule: anything that causes your computer to hang or reboot is either a driver/kernel bug or a hardware issue.
damarrin Feb 8, 2023
Faulty/too weak power supply.
mylka Feb 8, 2023
Quoting: damarrinFaulty/too weak power supply.
no.
1) i play other heavy loaded games like death stranding, assassins creed and war thunder. i even can record gameplay, so the load ist even higher. i also played "lego builder's journey" and you can TORTURE your GPU with this game. even a 4090. no joke
2) it crashes at start up, not in game

Quoting: whizseAs a general rule: anything that causes your computer to hang or reboot is either a driver/kernel bug or a hardware issue.
Quoting: GroganThat sounds related to the mediafoundation API, the intro videos and embedded videos in game use that.

yeah i thought so. i have this update in mind
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2022-12-06-kernels-mesa-plasma-cinnamon-nvidia-libreoffice-pipewire-virtualbox/128453

it came out after the last UE game i played.

"includes a notable change which disables hardware acceleration for proprietary video codecs (most commonly H.264 and H.265) when using the Mesa drivers stack. Open video codecs (VP8, VP9, AV1 - based on your hardware capabilities) are unaffected and can still be hardware-accelerated out of the box."
Grogan Feb 8, 2023
Aww, seriously? Manjaro did that? I didn't think Arch (and consequently Manjaro) was going to disable those codecs in Mesa. I always build my own so I don't notice (I hate distro dogfood)

I just looked at Arch's (official) PKGBUILD to make sure, and they are still enabling those codecs.

-D video-codecs=vc1dec,h264dec,h264enc,h265dec,h265enc \

It doesn't surprise me. Manjaro got bought out, where Arch is still a pure community distro (that does most all of the work, by the way. Most of Manjaro is just straight Arch PKGBUILDs, they only customize a relative few things)

Well, one thing Manjaro does have is Arch's dev environment and Mesa isn't hard to build. Are you familiar with building packages in an Arch environment? I'm not sure if this is exactly (or only) your problem but I'd want a properly built Mesa if I were me.

---------------------------------------------

... as a general rule yes, the symptoms may seem like a hardware fault, but shitware can cause driver faults that can hang or reboot your computer. Games aren't normal software (and that mediafoundation shit interfaces with DirectX etc.), you give them direct hardware access through poopy interfaces and faults can happen. I actually find that less likely to happen with Wine gaming though, because there are more layers of abstraction that tend to fail before something like that can happen. I can usually flip to another virtual desktop or barring that, another TTY (ctrl-alt-f2 usually cuts through the slime) and kill stuff. My X session may be hurt if I flip back to TTY1 after killing the game executable, but the system is still functioning.

As for "hangs" quite often it's not quite a hang, just that your input devices and display aren't responding. Sometimes it might be so b0rked that you can just ping the machine but high level networking is dead, but that's still not halted. (I'm saying that because before I ever try something drastic like a forced reboot or hard shut down, I'll try to SSH in from another box)

I would say you would be having a lot of trouble with other things if you had such a hardware fault. (It wouldn't just be intro videos in Unreal 4+ games)
mylka Feb 8, 2023
Quoting: GroganI would say you would be having a lot of trouble with other things if you had such a hardware fault. (It wouldn't just be intro videos in Unreal 4+ games)

no problems with other engines so far
but i tested "The Flame in the Flood" and "SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom – Rehydrated"

both have UE4 and and i played them a few minutes. so i do not know if it is UE.

i tried older proton versions with Metamorphosis, but it still shuts down my pc.

i hope mesa 23 fixes it
Grogan Feb 8, 2023
You OK building Mesa packages? I just whipped up a quick tutorial and provided some PKGBUILDs in this thread if you need a helping hand.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/5592/page=1/
mylka Feb 8, 2023
Quoting: GroganYou OK building Mesa packages? I just whipped up a quick tutorial and provided some PKGBUILDs in this thread if you need a helping hand.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/5592/page=1/

thx, but i really do not want to mess with my pc. i just wanna use it
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.