Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Games with Unreal Engine do not work
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Abedsbrother Feb 10, 2023
Quoting: GroganAww, seriously? Manjaro did that? I didn't think Arch (and consequently Manjaro) was going to disable those codecs in Mesa. I always build my own so I don't notice (I hate distro dogfood)

I just looked at Arch's (official) PKGBUILD to make sure, and they are still enabling those codecs.
Was wondering why I hadn't noticed anything different.
mylka Apr 19, 2023
little update: i am on kernel 6.3RC, mesa 23.0 and proton 8 now and it is still broken
i played a few other games in the meantime. no problems at all
guess i have to wait til i have a new PC, or at least new GPU for those UE games
Grogan Apr 19, 2023
Sorry to hear that. I do my own Proton builds (based on the wine-tkg-git build system) but I let Steam download valve's new Proton 8.0 and tested it, and to my surprise, the mediafoundation poo worked for me. I'll bet it's their new "Sniper" runtime.

That's the first time I've ever seen that work outside of my (more native) -tkg builds. I tested Borderlands 3 with that, which is horribly fragile for the mp4 intros and embedded in-game videos.

That IS trouble. I've noticed that some new Unreal 4 titles aren't even using that anymore, they are using Bink video with the Unreal 4 engine. My guess is because of the fragility (it's not only us Linux users that have had problems with Microsoft's media foundation machinery in games). It looks like Epic actually owns that now too, Bink video (they seem to own RAD Tools now) but it would be additional licensing vs. Microsoft Mediafoundation which is licensed with Windows on the client end.

For example, "High on Life" and "The Callisto Protocol", both recent titles, use Bink.
mylka Apr 19, 2023
Quoting: GroganSorry to hear that. I do my own Proton builds (based on the wine-tkg-git build system) but I let Steam download valve's new Proton 8.0 and tested it, and to my surprise, the mediafoundation poo worked for me. I'll bet it's their new "Sniper" runtime.

valve fixed it a long time ago for several games with proton.
like postal 4, die young, or Yesterday Origins
i do not know what this sniper runtime does

this BINK think could be the reason. but i do not understand why my PC shuts off completely.
whizse Apr 19, 2023
Quoting: mylkalittle update: i am on kernel 6.3RC, mesa 23.0 and proton 8 now and it is still broken
guess i have to wait til i have a new PC, or at least new GPU for those UE games
Can you still reproduce the problem with Metamorphosis?

If you want to try the theory that mp4/videos are causing the issue you can move them away (rename the directory Meta1/Content/Movies in the game directory). The game should still start, or at least the demo does.

You might also want to try launching the game with PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% to see if it crashes with the OpenGL driver too.
Grogan Apr 20, 2023
Quoting: mylkathis BINK think could be the reason. but i do not understand why my PC shuts off completely.

No, that has nothing to do with it. You would be unlikely to have problems with bink video. I only mentioned that in context of the mediafoundation being trouble (devs using bink instead).

P.S. The "Sniper" runtime is the new runtime that Proton links against, vs. the previous "Soldier" runtime (not to be confused with the Steam runtime, "heavy" that the client links against)

Last edited by Grogan on 20 April 2023 at 12:02 am UTC
mylka Apr 22, 2023
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: mylkalittle update: i am on kernel 6.3RC, mesa 23.0 and proton 8 now and it is still broken
Can you still reproduce the problem with Metamorphosis.

yes. it behaves alway like that, but i do not like to try too much because of this behaviour. i do not think it is healthy for my pc. especially hard drives and OS itself

but since GPU prices going down lately, i hope AMD releases a new affordable one soon and i buy one of them. i hope this will fix it
mylka Sep 21, 2023
i bought a new graphics card and now it works. still do not know what the problem was.
Grogan Sep 21, 2023
Probably different graphics chipset not hitting the same problem. You're following different code paths in the driver and graphics libraries etc. too. Glad you got it solved in any case

It IS, however, possible for specific things to expose a subtle fault, though.

I had a cheap motherboard in 1998, with a Pentium II 300 MHz processor. At first I thought everything was great, until my computer froze while opening an image in Paint Shop Pro. It was a sample image showing layering techniques. Odd, it was the only image causing it. Similarly, there was a big Sony logo flash animation on a site that caused it every time too. There were not many things that hit this fault, it seemed to be certain graphics operations (not any of the games I played though). Also later found to have problems compiling C++ (but not C lol).

Long story short... L2 cache on the board was subtly faulty, I guess it couldn't quite handle the bus speed it was supposed to. Changing the jumpers on the motherboard, such that the CPU was downclocked to 266 MHz allowed it to be stable in all those cases.
mylka Sep 21, 2023
Quoting: GroganProbably different graphics chipset not hitting the same problem.

do you have PCIe4 mainboard?
my guess: maybe a bug for PCIe3 cards in a PCIe4 slot?!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.