You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Help With Error Message When Using Arc 770
PublicNuisance Feb 11, 2023
I got my hands on an Intel Arc A770 tonight. Sadly I couldn't get it to work with Trisquel 11. When I tried to boot from the .iso it gave me an error saying "HDMI/DP requires binding with gfx driver". I then instaleld Trisquel 11 onto the system using the onboard GPU only, updated everything, and installed the 6.1.11-gnu kernel from Freesh. It still gave me the same problem when I put the Arc 770 back in. I tried it on another system using Trisquel 11 with the same result. It's not a DOA GPU because it works on my Solus system. I don't think this is a libre kernel issue though as when I do a web search on this error message several people who use various graphics cards and distros have had this in the past. That being said the only system I have that this GPU works on right now is my Solus system that doesn't have the libre kernel. It also isn't an issue of kernel version or Mesa version as my Solus system is using an older Mesa and kernel than my Trisquel 11.
tuubi Feb 11, 2023
Missing "nonfree" firmware maybe? And because it's Trisquel, you won't find an official package.
PublicNuisance Feb 11, 2023
Quoting: tuubiMissing "nonfree" firmware maybe? And because it's Trisquel, you won't find an official package.

That was my gut reaction at first but the more I search the web for this error the more people I come across that never even used the libre kernel so they wouldn't be missing non free firmware. I've also seen people complain of this with Ubuntu; OpenSuse; Fedora and use anything from AMD; to Intel to Nvidia GPUs. It doesn't seem to be distro specific or GPU specific or kernel specific as these posts range from last year to 2019.
whizse Feb 11, 2023
I'm also guessing lack of firmware and possibly a hobbled kernel.

That error message is from the audio driver (sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c):

/* bind with i915 if needed */
        if (chip->driver_caps & AZX_DCAPS_I915_COMPONENT) {
                err = snd_hdac_i915_init(bus);
                if (err < 0) {
                        /* if the controller is bound only with HDMI/DP
                         * (for HSW and BDW), we need to abort the probe;
                         * for other chips, still continue probing as other
                         * codecs can be on the same link.
                         */
                        if (CONTROLLER_IN_GPU(pci)) {
                                dev_err(chip->card->dev,
                                        "HSW/BDW HD-audio HDMI/DP requires binding with gfx driver\n");
                                goto out_free;

Sounds like the audio chip or some audio codec needs the GPU to function and bails without it.

From looking at search results for that error message, a lot of them also mention a discrete GPU, and disabling the internal (Intel) GPU is the fix, so they may in fact have missing/outdated firmware too.

I would also be surprised if the system wouldn't boot with a failing audio driver. So the real problem have probably happened before or after this warning was printed.

If you want to use Trisquel with that card you probably need to install firmware manually and probably build a custom kernel: "3D acceleration is available via Intel's driver for all Intel chipsets up to and including Broadwell,"
PublicNuisance Feb 12, 2023
Quoting: whizseI'm also guessing lack of firmware and possibly a hobbled kernel.

That error message is from the audio driver (sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c):

/* bind with i915 if needed */
        if (chip->driver_caps & AZX_DCAPS_I915_COMPONENT) {
                err = snd_hdac_i915_init(bus);
                if (err < 0) {
                        /* if the controller is bound only with HDMI/DP
                         * (for HSW and BDW), we need to abort the probe;
                         * for other chips, still continue probing as other
                         * codecs can be on the same link.
                         */
                        if (CONTROLLER_IN_GPU(pci)) {
                                dev_err(chip->card->dev,
                                        "HSW/BDW HD-audio HDMI/DP requires binding with gfx driver\n");
                                goto out_free;

Sounds like the audio chip or some audio codec needs the GPU to function and bails without it.

From looking at search results for that error message, a lot of them also mention a discrete GPU, and disabling the internal (Intel) GPU is the fix, so they may in fact have missing/outdated firmware too.

I would also be surprised if the system wouldn't boot with a failing audio driver. So the real problem have probably happened before or after this warning was printed.

If you want to use Trisquel with that card you probably need to install firmware manually and probably build a custom kernel: "3D acceleration is available via Intel's driver for all Intel chipsets up to and including Broadwell,"

Thanks for the details. In any case I think i'm returning it anyway. I did some in depth testing on my Solus system with a handful of games that my RX 590 couldn't max out and some wouldn't even run and those that did ran worse or on par with the 590. If I can't have privacy or horsepower than I can return the A770 and put the money towards a Dasharo board; a Librem Mini or a 6750 XT.
Avehicle7887 Feb 15, 2023
Is Arc really so bad as it sounds on Linux? These gpu's only recently came in stock in my country and I've been considering buying the cheaper A380 for an alt system I have.
PublicNuisance Feb 16, 2023
Quoting: Avehicle7887Is Arc really so bad as it sounds on Linux? These gpu's only recently came in stock in my country and I've been considering buying the cheaper A380 for an alt system I have.

I'd say it depends on what you want to use it for. My use was gaming and privacy and it failed in both regards. If it was meant just for basic tasks then maybe it would be different. I have seen some people say they're happy with their Arc but for me it couldn't work with the libre kernel and for gaming it was worse than my RX 590. I think the drivers need a lot more time.
Avehicle7887 Feb 16, 2023
Quoting: PublicNuisance
Quoting: Avehicle7887Is Arc really so bad as it sounds on Linux? These gpu's only recently came in stock in my country and I've been considering buying the cheaper A380 for an alt system I have.

I'd say it depends on what you want to use it for. My use was gaming and privacy and it failed in both regards. If it was meant just for basic tasks then maybe it would be different. I have seen some people say they're happy with their Arc but for me it couldn't work with the libre kernel and for gaming it was worse than my RX 590. I think the drivers need a lot more time.

My aim is for gaming, it would be for a secondary system so I still have my main rig if a game doesn't run. On Windows the drivers are shaping up quite well but I haven't seen many tests on Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.