Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What is your favorite early commercial game for Linux?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Poll results: What is your favorite early commercial game for Linux?
Doom

12 vote(s)
46%
Quake

9 vote(s)
35%
Abuse

2 vote(s)
8%
SimCity Classic

2 vote(s)
8%
Inner Worlds

1 vote(s)
4%
gbudny Feb 13, 2023
I know that many of you are familiar with a majority of these games. You can try to play a demo version of Inner Worlds in your web browser if you don't know it:

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/play/inner-worlds

I mentioned earlier how to run the full version on your old computer with a 32-bit processor:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/5561/

Last edited by gbudny on 13 February 2023 at 6:04 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Feb 13, 2023
The correct answer is DOOM of course.......

Also how long have we been able to do polls???.......I never knew we could do polls.....
Avehicle7887 Feb 13, 2023
Not in the list but for me it's UT2004. Although no system requirements are present for Linux, the back of the box art has the tux logo and the linux setup is also on the disk.
Hamish Feb 13, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe correct answer is DOOM of course...
I like Doom more than Quake, but have you tried getting the original Doom port to run on Linux?

Hopkins FBI is missing, if we are to take early to mean before Loki.
Pengling Feb 14, 2023
Of those listed, it's Doom, but none of them are the sort of thing I'd usually play - there's not a whole lot of cute arcadey stuff going on here.
toivop Feb 14, 2023
The original Civilisation I
gbudny Feb 14, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAlso how long have we been able to do polls???.......I never knew we could do polls.....

I don't know, but I did it earlier.

I think that Liam Dawe could answer your question.

Quoting: Avehicle7887Not in the list but for me it's UT2004. Although no system requirements are present for Linux, the back of the box art has the tux logo and the linux setup is also on the disk.

I couldn't add it because UT2004 isn't the early commercial game for Linux.

Quoting: HamishHopkins FBI is missing, if we are to take early to mean before Loki.

You're right.

However, I wanted to focus on games released from 1994 to 1996.

Hopkins FBI was released in 1998, which means that I had to include Quake 2. This poll will be more predictable and boring If I would decide to add it. Quake 2 is an important game for Linux users, and deserves a different poll.

It looks bad enough that Dave Taylor ported 3 out of 4 games to Linux. I don't count Inner Worlds because that was the original game for Linux.

Do you know any other games or applications for Linux created by Dave Taylor?

Last edited by gbudny on 14 February 2023 at 5:37 pm UTC
Grogan Feb 14, 2023
My first one was really Unreal Tournament 2004 as well. (By the time I got UT2003 working on linux due to having to recompile Mesa with that dxtn compression library, UT2004 was out lol)

I in fact still have the same ut2004 install directory from 2004! (copied to new boxes and run in place). Icculus dropped some 64 bit binaries in one of the patches, and all that was needed were some compatible libraries dropped in the game directory. (e.g. 64 bit build of libstdc++.so.5, openal and for some reason, libarts from KDE3 became a dependency somewhere along the line. I think I've had to drop in newer builds of libSDL 1.2 a few times but it's the same game directory, still running to this day on my pure 64 bit LFS system. You can just pencil in arbitrary resolutions with this engine, with the only consequence being a few object models being a little out of perspective.

The old Quake and Doom are actually before my time, I didn't like those kinds of games back then ("I hate stupid games where you're a little running man" was what I thought back then). I have since played them :-)
Hamish Feb 15, 2023
Quoting: HamishI like Doom more than Quake, but have you tried getting the original Doom port to run on Linux?
Of course, I say this, and then I have a major breakthrough.

I will save the specifics for a future article.

Last edited by Hamish on 15 February 2023 at 12:36 am UTC
gbudny Feb 15, 2023
Quoting: PenglingOf those listed, it's Doom, but none of them are the sort of thing I'd usually play - there's not a whole lot of cute arcadey stuff going on here.

You are probably thinking about games released after 1996 like Raptor: Call of The Shadows, Space Ping Pong Match, Chicken Invaders, and so on.

Inner Worlds looks like a "cute game" when you start to play in the second episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHAdiYDKJVE
Mezron Feb 15, 2023
Heavy Metal Fakk2
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.