Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What is your favorite early commercial game for Linux?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Poll results: What is your favorite early commercial game for Linux?
Doom

12 vote(s)
46%
Quake

9 vote(s)
35%
Abuse

2 vote(s)
8%
SimCity Classic

2 vote(s)
8%
Inner Worlds

1 vote(s)
4%
Install Feb 16, 2023
Doom
Swanny Feb 17, 2023
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns Sadly haven't been able to get it running for a few years even with various workarounds.

Your poll list is missing a lot of games and you need to define "early": pre-2005 is early while pre-2010 includes the middle ages.
gbudny Feb 17, 2023
Quoting: SwannyKohan: Immortal Sovereigns Sadly haven't been able to get it running for a few years even with various workarounds.

You can buy the old computer with the processor Pentium 4 or Athlon XP to play classic games. You can always connect two or more computers to one monitor.

Quoting: SwannyYour poll list is missing a lot of games and you need to define "early": pre-2005 is early while pre-2010 includes the middle ages.

This list includes only commercial games for Linux released from 1994 to 1996.

Quoting: HamishOf course, I say this, and then I have a major breakthrough.

I will save the specifics for a future article.

Great!

Sometimes, you have to fiddle around with Linux for many weeks before you realize how to run it.

Last edited by gbudny on 17 February 2023 at 4:55 pm UTC
sourpuz Feb 20, 2023
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Heavy Metal Fakk2

An awesome game, but I've never managed to get it to run withouth the CD. I have the original on CD, but I'd have to hook up a USB CD-ROM drive to play, which is kind of a hassle.
Hamish Feb 21, 2023
Quoting: sourpuzAn awesome game, but I've never managed to get it to run withouth the CD. I have the original on CD, but I'd have to hook up a USB CD-ROM drive to play, which is kind of a hassle.
They can take the 5.25-inch drive bay from my cold dead hands.
Kuduzkehpan Feb 21, 2023
native doom was exitement to get it running on my first linux pc.
gbudny Apr 1, 2023
Quoting: MichaelParraI love to play DOOM 3.

It's not a part of this poll.

On the other hand, It's amazing how Doom 3 has changed since Doom/Doom 2.
peta77 Apr 2, 2023
I think the first commercial games I had on Linux were Soldier of Fortune and Sim City 3000. Both from Loki Games, liked both of them.
gbudny Apr 2, 2023
Quoting: peta77I think the first commercial games I had on Linux were Soldier of Fortune and Sim City 3000. Both from Loki Games, liked both of them.

There is another poll that includes Soldier of Fortune for Linux

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/5622/
teknoroid Apr 2, 2023
I love the quake game. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.