Debian or Manjaro?
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
whizse Feb 23, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyX- Is either going to give more headaches running games?
- Is either less stable (let's assume rolling Debian)?
- Is there something like PPA/AUR on Debian?
First: An apology, I assumed you we're more on the newbie side of things. That was clearly wrong! Sounds like you would be fine with either Debian testing or unstable.

Anyhow about Debian specifically:

The only real headache I can think of is that Debian didn't used to ship firmware with the (default) installer. You had to enable it from the non-free section after boot. That trips you up if you install over Wifi. There is an alternate installer available and I think the new one enables non-free firmware by default.

Most native games are usually only tested and recommend some version of Ubuntu, but it has only seldom been a problem. Usually the version required is so old I would assume you would have run into the same issues on a modern Ubuntu system.

There isn't really anything like a PPA system for Debian. Something like that have been suggested but it's never been implemented. You can however add (and host) custom repositories with Debian packages. Wine for example does this.

There's also usually release candidates of software like Mesa or the kernel in the (optional) experimental repository if you want even more bleeding edge stuff.
BlackBloodRum Feb 23, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyXThanks for the advice, but I mean, I did do that and I'm down to Manjaro vs Debian. I use the company-curated rolling release of Debian at work, and have been fiddling with Manjaro at my parents' house.

The reason I'm asking here is not for general advice, but specifics you can't just observe from live booting, after all gnome on Manjaro and gnome on Debian is just gonna look the same.

The questions were:

- Is either going to give more headaches running games?
- Is either less stable (let's assume rolling Debian)?
- Is there something like PPA/AUR on Debian?
- Are Manjaro rants on the internet about management something I should care about? I don't want to set everything up, then find out it's managed by a*holes.

With Manjaro and Debian, it's like comparing an apple and an orange, no really. They serve two very different purposes. The Live CD suggestion was more to verify hardware compatibility. That's why I also suggested an installed copy in a virtual machine - this would give you a change to see how packages are handled, to go through the configuration (such as /etc/ files) and so on.

With regards to rants, and what people do - or do not - like about it. This doesn't make the distro, the software and configuration does.

Debian has tons of packages available, I think you'll easily find what you need for that distro.

Though, based on your criteria, have you looked at OpenSUSE Tumbleweed? It's sort of in the middle between the two. It's rolling release, has a crap ton of packages and extra ones can be found from OBS (think AUR) but also relatively stable and can roll-back if it breaks with btrfs snapshots. It also works well with games in most instances (I've not had any trouble anyway). And the management is handled well and not just by, as you put it, a*holes.
CatKiller Feb 23, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyX
Quoting: CatKillerNever Manjaro.

And _that_, I really want to know what you have against it.

You should hop on the GOL Discord and ask why you shouldn't use Manjaro. You'll get lots of information about that.

A bleeding edge distro (like Arch, or Endeavour, or Siduction) has its place. A stable long term distro (like Debian) has its place. A middle-of-the-road conservative distro that gets you newer stuff on a regular schedule (like Ubuntu) has the place that's going to be the best fit for generic desktop users. Any of these could be the best for a specific use case. Manjaro is just a bad choice for every use case; the two weeks that they hold back packages isn't enough time to test (and they don't have the resources to actually test anyway) but is just long enough to get conflicts between the stuff you get from Manjaro and the stuff you get from the AUR (which is expecting Arch versions). The whole model is just broken from the outset.

That's all before you think about them - at least twice - having let their security certificate expire, or misappropriation of donated funds, or any other of the miscellaneous shady or shonky things they've done. But it's your computer, and if those are the kind of people you want having root access to your machine, that's your choice, of course.
ShabbyX Feb 24, 2023
Quoting: whizseFirst: An apology, I assumed you we're more on the newbie side of things. That was clearly wrong!

No worries!

---

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I'll just go with Debian. As much as I'm _capable_ of fiddling with my installation to fix things, I really want things to just be rock solid at this point in my life.

I thought I'd miss out on the latest stuff, but it's been three years I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, and it was fine. I'll start with Debian stable, and if I find it's too old, I can always upgrade it to testing.
whizse Feb 24, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyXI thought I'd miss out on the latest stuff, but it's been three years I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, and it was fine. I'll start with Debian stable, and if I find it's too old, I can always upgrade it to testing.
If you want another option, the current testing, codename bookworm, which will become the new stable, is now frozen in preparation for release.

So you can install that, configure the package sources to track by codename (the specific bookworm release, not testing) and go from testing -> (new) stable.
dvd Feb 24, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyX
Quoting: whizseFirst: An apology, I assumed you we're more on the newbie side of things. That was clearly wrong!

No worries!

---

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I'll just go with Debian. As much as I'm _capable_ of fiddling with my installation to fix things, I really want things to just be rock solid at this point in my life.

I thought I'd miss out on the latest stuff, but it's been three years I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, and it was fine. I'll start with Debian stable, and if I find it's too old, I can always upgrade it to testing.

The main drawback of debian i can think of is the freeze period. Additionaly, if you use KDE you can occasionally run into nuisances, but those are usually things that are easily fixed by a window resize or plasma/kwin restart. (on testing)
denyasis Feb 25, 2023
I gamed using debian testing for about 5 years... Never seen issues. There is the freeze period right before stable updates, but in reality, if you can't game without the latest version, I'd assume you have the knowledge to manually install it. Most games don't need bleeding edge.

I've also used Manjaro for about a year. For gaming, the AUR is not needed, everything works out of the box. I'm more familiar with apt, but pacman does an ok job (is very fast compared to apt or zypper).

I'd also second OpenSuse Tumbleweed. It's similar to debian testing in spirit and is very stable. I used it for about 2 years. I would throw a caveat; the way they do Nvidia drivers is odd and you can end up with a new kernel but no driver module for that kernel version. If you are not a frequent updater, that issues is mostly moot. If it does happen, the system is designed to let you roll back pretty easily.
Kuduzkehpan Feb 25, 2023
Manjaro. fast speedy secure uptodate i mean yea i have latest mesa but dont know when i installed it lol.
tuubi Feb 25, 2023
Quoting: denyasisMost games don't need bleeding edge.
I've yet to see a single game that needs bleeding edge. The only thing that might make a difference are hardware drivers, and those (the kernel, Mesa, Nvidia's proprietary drivers, firmware) aren't too hard to keep up to date on most mainstream distributions.
dr_jekyll Feb 26, 2023
I would absolutely recommend to use a rolling release distro.

Stable distros are severely outdated and I have run into multiple problems (including (severe) bugs, missing functionality, not possible to connect to servers, because of outdated clients etc.) because of super-outdated packages.
And backports etc. have not really helped, because they only cover a small percentage and many of them are also often outdated (even though not as severe as the distros themselves).
Also testing branches etc. were not really up-to-date for most packages, so this is kind of misleading.
Most importantly missing security updates (even though the stable distros claim to include security fixes) are a real problem.

But I guess it depends on the usecase, as some people seem to enjoy them.

Regarding Manjaro specifically:
I use it regularly and haven't come across any (severe) problems.

The two weeks (or so) between releases are mainly not for testing (by Manjaro), instead it is intended to watch for Bugreports on Arch Linux, so if there are severe problems, Manjaro can either fix these problems before release or delay a release further.

This approach works pretty well and I also use many AUR packages and only on one occassion there was problem with a version mismatch, but good software would include notes or warning for abi mismatches on compilation, so in my oppinion it is more a problem of software projects and less a problem of Distros.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.