Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Debian or Manjaro?
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
slaapliedje Mar 6, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlBetter competition would surely help at least to keep prices on normal levels. Intel so far didn't start competing fully.
Yeah, I'm not even sure prices are where I am complaining against, I'd just like some sane driver model, and some stability. The problem, as I see it, with modern day computers is new video cards have to give a reason for their existence these days, faster and faster frame rates on games just doesn't cut it. Nvidia seems to always be the one who innovates new stuff, for AMD to then follow. But then Nvidia releases stuff in a 'this generation it's just a beta, and slow, next iteration will be faster.' way. AMD just waits long enough and tries to make a standard way of doing the same thing...

The way it really should go is that the innovation should be in the API (Vulkan in this case) then the GPUs try to support those new features. It actually used to be this way, way back with OpenGL, then at some point the GPU makers started adding in the extensions to it.
ShabbyX Mar 6, 2023
Quoting: slaapliedjeThe way it really should go is that the innovation should be in the API (Vulkan in this case) then the GPUs try to support those new features. It actually used to be this way, way back with OpenGL, then at some point the GPU makers started adding in the extensions to it.

That's a recipe for disaster. You can't just sit down and design the perfect API and have hardware find a way to do it. Issues always get found in implementation, that's why software and hardware "iterate". What you are suggesting is the waterfall development model; people tried it, didn't work out.
Shmerl Mar 6, 2023
Quoting: slaapliedjeYeah, I'm not even sure prices are where I am complaining against

Prices surely have been creeping up quite steadily. Remember when high end gaming GPUs were around $400+? Now they are above $1000.
slaapliedje Mar 6, 2023
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: slaapliedjeYeah, I'm not even sure prices are where I am complaining against

Prices surely have been creeping up quite steadily. Remember when high end gaming GPUs were around $400+? Now they are above $1000.
For sure... though honestly I've always bought the x8xx versions, never the x9xx or even Ti editions. I think the most I've spent on any of those was 800. Still crappy. That's why I'm just skipping whatever is coming out now. My current PC doesn't need to be upgraded in the slightest. Ha, I feel Liam having his survey popping up asking me to update my PC specs is egging me on to upgrade. But I really don't have a real reason to at this point (unless I upgrade my VR headset to something with a massive amount of more pixels, I see no need to get a new GPU).

Quoting: ShabbyXThat's a recipe for disaster. You can't just sit down and design the perfect API and have hardware find a way to do it. Issues always get found in implementation, that's why software and hardware "iterate". What you are suggesting is the waterfall development model; people tried it, didn't work out.

The problem is that makes it where we are now. Nvidia creating new features, AMD playing catch up, and then having two different implementations out there, and game devs have to target both features on pick which one they're going to support (see most Linux native games targeting nvidia and having issues running on AMD GPUs).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.