Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
What is your favorite commercial game based on the Quake II engine?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Poll results: What is your favorite commercial game based on the Quake II engine?
Soldier of Fortune

5 vote(s)
36%
Quake II

3 vote(s)
21%
Heretic II

2 vote(s)
14%
Kingpin: Life of Crime

1 vote(s)
7%
Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero

1 vote(s)
7%
Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning

1 vote(s)
7%
SiN

1 vote(s)
7%
gbudny Mar 10, 2023
Hi

Daikatana isn't included in this list because I decided to focus on the more official versions of these games and mods for Linux.

Last edited by gbudny on 10 March 2023 at 6:32 pm UTC
whizse Mar 10, 2023
Mail in vote for Anachronox here! (First game I completed using Wine)
Hamish Mar 10, 2023
Provisional vote for The Reckoning but I still need to play Kingpin.
gbudny Mar 10, 2023
Quoting: whizseMail in vote for Anachronox here! (First game I completed using Wine)

It can't be included in this poll.

Sadly, someone stopped working on the unofficial Linux version of this game:

https://github.com/hogsy/hosae

Last edited by gbudny on 10 March 2023 at 11:44 pm UTC
damarrin Mar 11, 2023
Anachronox was lovely.

I'm sorry to say I don't care about any of the games in the poll.
gbudny Mar 12, 2023
Quoting: HamishProvisional vote for The Reckoning but I still need to play Kingpin.

Kingpin has great music and the incredible atmosphere of a city full of dangerous gangsters. It's a non-linear game, which can cause weird issues similar to Sin.

Unfortunately, the Linux version of Kingpin is buggy, and it's quite annoying. Surprisingly, I'm talking about the Linux version of the game that had few releases.

Ryan "Ridah" Feltrin released a server version of Kingpin 1.21, but the final version of the Linux client is 1.20.

Last edited by gbudny on 12 March 2023 at 7:56 pm UTC
whizse Mar 12, 2023
I need to find some time for Heretic II. Apparently it's the only id Tech 2 game I haven't played.
Klaas Mar 12, 2023
It's a shame that the 3rd party ones didn't have any source code releases. The switch from gamecode running in a VM like in Quake 1 to native code in Quake 2 makes them so crash prone.

Take a look at the pure bugfix changes in Yamagi Quake 2 – it's baffling.
PublicNuisance Mar 14, 2023
Solider of Fortune ! Loved that when I was in college. SOF2 had better multiplayer but I preferred the original for the campaign.
StoneColdSpider Mar 14, 2023
Quoting: gbudny
Quoting: HamishProvisional vote for The Reckoning but I still need to play Kingpin.

Kingpin has great music and the incredible atmosphere of a city full of dangerous gangsters. It's a non-linear game, which can cause weird issues similar to Sin.

Unfortunately, the Linux version of Kingpin is buggy, and it's quite annoying. Surprisingly, I'm talking about the Linux version of the game that had few releases.

Ryan "Ridah" Feltrin released a server version of Kingpin 1.21, but the final version of the Linux client is 1.20.
Just to let you know that there is a Kingpin Reloaded "Coming Soon" on steam....... No native Linux support by the looks of it....... But hopefully with proton it will run fine
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.