Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Sony corp is trying to bulldoze the Internet
g000h Mar 11, 2023
I've just found out this news, and I'm angry about it and want to share it around:

The story is presented here:
https://www.quad9.net/news/press/quad9-s-opinion-of-the-recent-court-ruling-in-leipzig

Quad-9 is a DNS Resolving service, which wants the internet to be free and open and running in the public interest.

Sony is attacking them legally to try to get them to block certain domains, i.e. Big Tech calling the shots for their own benefit: Let's change the internet for our good, not the public good.

Potentially, if Sony succeeds in this case then it sets a precedent for future cases which will make the internet more locked-down going forward.

Donating towards Quad-9 can help them to keep on legally battling against Sony for *our* benefit.
Pengling Mar 11, 2023
QuoteQuad9 feels they were chosen as a target because, as a non-profit player with a limited budget and small market share, Sony potentially did not expect Quad9 to have the means of fighting back. This would be an easier means of establishing legal precedent to potentially control domains served by all DNS recursive resolvers.
Targetting small outfits in an attempt to use the legal-system to run down their funds and get them out of the way is typical of Sony in cases like this - not the first time I've seen it, and won't be the last. Here's hoping that things turn around.

Last edited by Pengling on 11 March 2023 at 3:08 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Mar 11, 2023
Quoting: g000hSony is attacking them legally to try to get them to block certain domains, i.e. Big Tech calling the shots for their own benefit: Let's change the internet for our good, not the public good.

Potentially, if Sony succeeds in this case then it sets a precedent for future cases which will make the internet more locked-down going forward.
Even if Sony loses they will probably still do enough financial damage to cause Quad-9 to go out of business and that will plant the seed that Sony won in the general publics mind......

Just like with Bleem..... The general public to this day believe Sony won that cause because Bleem went out of business...... When in fact Bleem won the case but Sony sucked them dry via legal costs........

AND if Sony sucks Quad-9 dry via legal fees....... Sony can buy them out or start a new company to replace them.........

Its a very worrying sign for anyone who wants a free thinking and open internet......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 11 March 2023 at 10:17 pm UTC
ridge Mar 12, 2023
Blimey, I know Sony and other megacorps always strive for new lows, but this one feels new to Sony. I use Quad9 in the network config on all my devices and would like to keep doing so, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.
damarrin Mar 12, 2023
A corporation has many heads and arms and can do both good and bad things in various parts of its business.

In this case, it should be fought with ferocity.
BlackBloodRum Mar 13, 2023
Think that's bad? Check the UK's online safety bill or EU Cybersecurity act.
benstor214 Mar 13, 2023
I don’t like this news

Last edited by benstor214 on 14 March 2023 at 4:03 pm UTC
g000h Apr 4, 2023
FSFmember May 23, 2023
Thanks for your OP g000h
I made them my DNS provider and I'll admit I did not know about the company before your post. Not to mention the sad story... Just wanted to let you know your post was not for naught and somebody read all.
ipkpjersi Jun 7, 2023
It's not surprising to hear of this news. Larger companies try things like this far too often, unfortunately, and I don't know what we can do about it other than try to fight against it. It really feels like a losing battle sometimes, but I guess that's all we can do.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.