Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
OBS and nvidia, out of the loop ?
Tchey Mar 23, 2023
Hello,

I’m using OBS for several years now, to record videos for my youtube channel and some other personal stuff.

However, too often for my taste, several times OBS cannot run due to nvidia drivers, with the standard message "failed to open nvenc codec, etc". I must wait several days, and a few times weeks, before there is an update making it running again.

What should i do to avoid this ? What do i missunderstand or do wrong ? Why sometimes there is no update from my part, but OBS runs again, while the morning before it was not ?

Help me becoming smarter, or at least, less stupid.

Thanks

(currently with Linux 6.2.7-2, and OBS 29.0.2)

Linux Manjaro (Arch) 64bits Xfce
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3,3 GHz)
GeForce GTX 1060 @ 6 Go
Nvidia Drivers
16 Go DIMM DDR3 PC12800
SSD Crucial 480Go
BENQ GL2460 16/9 24" 1920x1080
pete910 Mar 23, 2023
Is this an update to OBS or the NV driver which fixes it ?

Seems odd if it was running fine to then fail the next day if no updates have been installed in between uses.
Xpander Mar 23, 2023
That sounds strange indeed. I guess this can only happen when you compiled OBS yourself against libraries that aren't maybe compatible anymore.
Havent seen it getting broken with system updates on Arch at least. There was a Nvfbc plugin breakage since OBS 28 (cause they changed how things are hooked up), but that plugin was third-party anyway.
Tchey Mar 24, 2023
It’s the other way around : i install an update the system shows me via the manager, then OBS is broken. A few days later, while i didn’t install anything new, OBS is running again.

OBS is installed via the manager, i didn’t add anything manually. Once, i re-installed OBS via Flatpack to try, but that’s it. Nvidia drivers are the one installed by the system too. So i’d say, i have a very generic setup, hardware and software, altogether.

It happened several times, maybe 6-7 times over the last few years, so it’s not new and not definitive neither.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.