Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Is your Steam Deck freezing during reboot/shutdown? Then read this!
BlackBloodRum Mar 27, 2023
Hi everyone,

I bumped into this last night, so first things first - your deck isn't broken!

If you've got the same issues as me, here are your symptoms:
  • Device reboots successfully from KDE or CLI

• Device stops at "Shutting down Steam..." and the spinner stops when trying to shutdown/reboot from Steam mode

• Feels like the only way to fix that is to hold the power button

Anyway, mine started doing this - seemingly randomly. I decided to do a bit of digging while it was seemingly "stuck" in this frozen state.

What I found was, it wasn't frozen at all! I was able to SSH into my Steam Deck and run commands. That's great!

Anyway long story short after a bit of digging I found out why it was doing this. Turns out, the device was still running "storage maintenance tasks" automatically. When it tries to shut itself down, it gets confused and stuck. Each time you force reboot the device (CLI, KDE, Power button) these tasks will start again on the next boot and thus until they complete you'll get stuck.

If you're getting this "freeze", then while in game mode go to Steam (Button) > Settings > System > Scroll right to the bottom, And see "Run storage maintenance tasks". If your button is greyed out with "Running", there's your problem!

Wait for this button to say "Run" and be clickable, don't click it. Now next time you reboot or shutdown your device, no more getting stuck!

Done!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.