Shippy 1984 - Looking Cute
Dennis_Payne Mar 30, 2023
I've been maintaining Shippy 1984 for a few years. It can be found on Fedora and is available on github. It is a simple Space Invaders/Galaxian like game. I decided to try doing a cute 'em up makeover of the game. Here is a dev video explaining what I've done.
https://youtu.be/ZAzFP90lgW0
Dennis_Payne Apr 28, 2023
As part of my continuing attempt to find funding for open source game work, I’ve made Shippy 1984 available for purchase at dulsi.itch.io. This is the cute modification that is not available in github at the moment. The plan is to release the changes to github after a short period of time. The source is available with the binaries.

It still doesn’t have all the changes I want to make. I’d like a villain portrait to mock you when you lose, add more powerups, a vertical scrolling segment and a boss battle.
Dennis_Payne Apr 29, 2023
Shippy 1984 gets a cheesy trailer.
FSFmember May 23, 2023
now! this is what I call retro! Very nice, I also liked your cheesy trailer - had a laugh and can see clearly what the game is like - yes you explained it in your first post, but the name surely gave me anOTHER impression, if you know what I mean.
Cheers
Dennis_Payne May 29, 2023
Lots of smaller improvements have been going in. The ship now transforms when you get a powerup. Powerups are per person instead of both players. Support for two controllers added. Game over cut scenes added. Most of these changes are restricted to the "cute" mode.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.