Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (Beta 3) - Operation Nordwind works on Linux
gbudny Apr 13, 2023
Hi

I still think that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is one of the best games for Linux. However, I played it so many times that I decided to check out the mods for this game.

In this case, I was looking for a mod that has new missions. Operation Nordwind should give you a few hours of fun.

It won't replace Spearhead, which is an unreleased mod for the Linux version of Mohaa. However, you have tasks that aren't available in the base game. There are even more tasks in some missions than in the original version.

I want to point out that I used the unfinished version of Mohaa for Linux. This version of the game had ported to Linux by Ryan Gordon (Icculus) between 2003 - 2004. You should use the old computer with a 32-bit processor and Linux distribution with the kernel 2.4.

I know that Mohaa is working on Linux until 2.6.7, but I didn't test with this mod. I disadvise you from playing using a kernel higher than 2.6.7 because games start to crash in random locations.

It's playable, but there are issues with the sound that you should know from the original game. Additionally, this mod has higher requirements than a base game.

I always maximized the video settings when I played the base game. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it with Operation Nordwind. I had to change video settings because there were areas where the game started to be unplayable. It didn't help that I used this computer to play it:

Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7300 GT 512 MB

What do you think about his mod?
Do you plan to play it on your old computer?

Alsace - Defeating Operation Nordwind:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/alsace-defeating-operation-nordwind/downloads/vc-adon

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_-lofFSiY)

Last edited by gbudny on 13 April 2023 at 6:52 pm UTC
Linas Apr 13, 2023
Any way to play Mohaa on a modern system?

To be honest, I never got the Linux version to work even in the olden days. It did run, but some sounds did not play.

Damn, I miss the game.
gbudny Apr 13, 2023
Quoting: LinasAny way to play Mohaa on a modern system?

I heard that you should build OSS3 to play it on a modern distribution.
It could be possible to create a LiveCD with the OSS3, but I'm not a programmer.

It's much easier to use an old computer to play it.

Quoting: LinasTo be honest, I never got the Linux version to work even in the olden days. It did run, but some sounds did not play.

Damn, I miss the game.

That is the unfinished beta of Mohaa, and missing sounds in this game are a well-known issue. I get used to it, which is weird. On the other hand, I'm happy that Icculus ported Mohaa to Linux because it's such a great game.

EDIT:

I know that @own3mall built OSS3 to play Mohaa on Mint. I think it would be great if someone could use Ubuntu (Mint, Arch, etc. - it doesn't matter too much which distro) to create a customized version of the Linux distribution with the built-in OSS3.

In this case, we can install it on a flash drive or the SSD. We can use it to play Mohaa on modern computers. Later, we can add all the unofficial mods to have everything in one place.

Of course, we can't share it with the Windows version of Mohaa.
However, it's possible to create a new Linux installer for the Windows version. This installer could include all mods that would work with the Linux version of Mohaa.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by gbudny on 14 April 2023 at 2:35 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.