Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
SYSTEM SHOCK released
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
damarrin Jun 1, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweThat's for Kickstarter backers, I am not a backer, I am press.

Must be nice, getting your money for nothing and games for free.

Months, or was it years?, ago I promised myself I wouldn't buy it. I loved it back in the day and played it tons. I got so many new games to play, I don't need to get this. As soon as I learn it's out, who's pressing that buy button?

It runs well on SD, thankfully.
Shmerl Jun 5, 2023
Got to Research level. I haven't really played the original but I suppose the story implies there are no other survivors on the station, not counting mutants and cyborgs.
denyasis Jun 5, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlGot to Research level. I haven't really played the original but I suppose the story implies there are no other survivors on the station, not counting mutants and cyborgs.

Yes...
Spoiler, click me
In the original intro, Diego erases everything about you from SHODAN's memory after you hack SHODAN for him. The main reason you weren't converted into a cyborg while in your post surgical coma was that SHODAN literally didn't know you existed. SHODAN in the original send you an email basically whining that she doesn't know who you are.

And

Spoiler, click me
I think the only "living people" in the original are the woman on the security team on earth feeding you info and Diego (sort of). And you only see/interact with Diego and I would not call him a "survivor"

I take it, the game is good then? I loved SS2 and really liked SS1, I feel like this game is right up my alley (I don't think I've ever bought a game at release time). But the reviews seem pretty positive and it looks like it runs well on Linux!
Shmerl Jun 5, 2023
Yeah, the game is pretty good so far. I still find that pixelated aesthetic on close up textures to be unnecessary, and I've seen them saying they used it to resemble the original game more, but I don't mind it since it's not really extreme and doesn't detract from the immersion much.

Spoiler, click me
Here too, at the end of the Medical level SHODAN talks to the main character saying that she doesn't know who you are, so that fits your point of the Hacker avoiding being turned into a cyborg becasue of that.

And yeah, haven't met Diego besides the intro, but Rebecca was the only human so far who spoke to the Hacker (remotely). The rest are just recordings and logs which describe past unfolding events. Which adds to the general horror atmosphere.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 June 2023 at 10:03 pm UTC
Shmerl Jun 19, 2023
Ugh, that one cyberspace level in Research is impossible.
damarrin Jun 19, 2023
It's possible. Took me a good 10 tries, mind.

I missed the message at the end, though, so I don't really know what it did. Luckily, there's a log that talks about it. I just love how the game doesn't hold your hand.
Shmerl Jun 25, 2023
Any tips how to handle that last area? Even starting with full health bar, I can't weed out those defense programs fast enough.
Shmerl Jun 26, 2023
OK, I think I figured just holding mouse button in cyberspace produces good fire rate - before I was trying to mash it and the rate wasn't good, lol :)

Now I managed to finish it easier and got some safety override code.

Last edited by Shmerl on 26 June 2023 at 1:41 am UTC
denyasis Jul 16, 2023
Just bought it as a splurge and started it. I just did the tutorial and intro thing. I really like the art on it. It feels very good .

Quoting: ShmerlHere too, at the end of the Medical level SHODAN talks to the main character saying that she doesn't know who you are, so that fits your point of the Hacker avoiding being turned into a cyborg becasue of that.

I just realized, with it being a different game and all, the original intro has a little more exposition as to what happened. It's also told from SHODAN's perspective. One of my favorite story intros, btw....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKIJUxSyaU&pp=ygUSU3lzdGVtIHNob2NrIGludHJv

Even 30 years later, it's a good intro to watch!
Fun fact, if you like the older games from origin, you might recognize the Tri-op security forces are wearing the armor from the Crusader series. I think at the time it was assumed they are from the same universe/time line.

Now I'm gonna go die horribly a lot. I'm really bad with shooters!!!
Shmerl Jul 16, 2023
Quoting: denyasisI just realized, with it being a different game and all, the original intro has a little more exposition as to what happened. It's also told from SHODAN's perspective. One of my favorite story intros, btw....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKIJUxSyaU&pp=ygUSU3lzdGVtIHNob2NrIGludHJv

Even 30 years later, it's a good intro to watch!

Thanks for the pointer! It does add some details about the story indeed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.