Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Linus, creator of Linux, being “woke” as heck
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jun 8, 2023
You love to see it: https://mastodon.social/@[email protected]/110504868267735370

Quote@morgthorak I think you might want to make sure you don’t follow me.

Because your “woke communist propaganda” comment makes me think you’re a moron of the first order.

I strongly suspect I am one of those “woke communists” you worry about. But you probably couldn’t actually explain what either of those words actually mean, could you?

I’m a card-carrying atheist, I think a woman’s right to choose is very important, I think that “well regulated militia” means that guns should be carefully licensed and not just randomly given to any moron with a pulse, and I couldn’t care less if you decided to dress up in the “wrong” clothes or decided you’d rather live your life without feeling tied to whatever plumbing you were born with.

And dammit, if that all makes me “woke”, then I think anybody who uses that word as a pejorative is a f*cking disgrace to the human race. So please just unfollow me right now.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 8 June 2023 at 9:09 am UTC
Linas Jun 8, 2023
I hate how nowadays you are either "woke communist" or "nazi", and there is no place for any balanced view or compromise.
Liam Dawe Jun 8, 2023
Labels pretty much always lose meaning. Woke was originally about being aware of injustices and racial issues, now it's used by the "right" to mean pretty much anything they don't like. It's just nice to see Linus stick up for good values :)
Cyril Jun 8, 2023
Linus is a good guy? I'm not surprised.
rkfg Jun 8, 2023
No, I don't love to see it. It's sad.

Also, the link above doesn't show the post Linus replied to. It can be seen here: https://poa.st/@morgthorak/posts/AWSUzyWVYwiP02DkHo

QuoteThat rag is nothing but woke communist propaganda anyway. It has been pure trash since its inception, and it will never get any better.

I wouldn't use it to line the bottom of a bird cage.

I find it weird that Linus himself was kinda mad at NYT but quickly jumped on someone who commented on the same subject and dragged him through the mud with a bunch of assumptions, calling to dehumanize people who he doesn't like. I can't interpret "anybody who uses that word as a pejorative is a f*cking disgrace to the human race" in any other way, it's not just calling them "being wrong", it's calling them subhuman. All that because of the words that someone he doesn't even know used to describe a thing he doesn't even like. You think this behavior is good? Assuming things then treating people like trash? And the person in question was polite even in the response. I find it impossible to praise such behavior. It's far left extremism at its finest.

Last edited by rkfg on 8 June 2023 at 8:51 pm UTC
Mezron Jun 8, 2023
I have to tell you this line right here - “you can sign up online, but you have to call and talk to a human to cancel”

No company in this world gets my money if they do business like this.
denyasis Jun 9, 2023
Looking at the thread, I think it reaffirms my belief that social media turns what could be ordinary people in real-life into complete garbage online.

All of those people could use some social interaction with a human that doesn't require a screen between them.
Liam Dawe Jun 9, 2023
Quoting: rkfgI find it weird that Linus himself was kinda mad at NYT but quickly jumped on someone who commented on the same subject and dragged him through the mud with a bunch of assumptions, calling to dehumanize people who he doesn't like. I can't interpret "anybody who uses that word as a pejorative is a f*cking disgrace to the human race" in any other way, it's not just calling them "being wrong", it's calling them subhuman. All that because of the words that someone he doesn't even know used to describe a thing he doesn't even like. You think this behavior is good? Assuming things then treating people like trash? And the person in question was polite even in the response. I find it impossible to praise such behavior. It's far left extremism at its finest.
You're clearly intelligent, you know as well as anyone what kind of people use "woke" in the way the reply did. What Linus said is great. I too am sick and tired of idiots throwing around "woke" and "communist" and *insert thing bigots don't like*.

There's literally nothing "far left extremism" about any of this. That's the usual bullshit dogwhistle attempt that people on the "far right" use to talk about bigoted things they don't like, just like with the word "woke" - you're just being part of the overall problem here.

And jeez, you're still sticking up for them after seeing their later reply? I'm shocked anyone who follows GOL legit falls in line with such ridiculousness. poa.st is a fediverse literally set up for (their words) "shitpoasters".

QuoteYou used to be strong, but the woke commies broke you a while ago.

Quotethe woke mind virus destroyed you, and that marxist ideology now controls you

If you believe any kind of that shit above, seriously - just remove your GOL account.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 9 June 2023 at 9:57 am UTC
rkfg Jun 9, 2023
Quotewhat kind of people use "woke" in the way the reply did
People who don't like the way the Western government and corporations push the world to. The problem is that these people are quickly labeled "nazis", "bigots" and "far-right extremists" which somehow gives the opposing side the moral right to doxx them, dehumanize them, silence them and call for violence upon them. There's no space for discussion even, they're judged and sentenced on the spot. Everyone who dares to question the left agenda instantly becomes a (potential) murderer of everyone who shares the said agenda. Yes, I share many moderate right opinions. No, I don't want to exterminate gays, trans, blacks etc. I don't call for violence. I don't even want to silence them, on the opposite, everyone deserves free speech. Truth isn't afraid of discussion and argument, only lies are. Let's see who doesn't want to discuss and instead resorts to censorship!

I only want more freedom for me and the others, including freedom of opinions, freedom of argument, without silencing people you don't like even if you have such power. Silencing is extremely easy, listening, discussing and maybe changing your mind is very hard. Grouping up people and blocking them simply because they use a certain word is as far from the ideas of freedom as possible. It's sad that you don't share these values but I guess times change and the old hacker culture is long dead anyway. Linux is captured by corporations so it's only logical that the culture goes in the same direction.

The reply is really mild considering what Linus called him. No name calling, just sadness and regret. And it's shocking for me that parroting the usual corporate/government talking points is now considered stunning and brave. What's so brave about it? He's not in any danger for saying that. No one will doxx or attack him for that, he will not lose his job or property.
Liam Dawe Jun 9, 2023
Quoting: rkfgPeople who don't like the way the Western government and corporations push the world to. The problem is that these people are quickly labeled "nazis", "bigots" and "far-right extremists" which somehow gives the opposing side the moral right to doxx them, dehumanize them, silence them and call for violence upon them
Because, most of the time, it is an extremely accurate description of how they act. I've made my views and the GOL stance clear on it. Bigots and people who believe in the "woke mind virus" are simply not people I want here.
rkfg Jun 9, 2023
So you judge people not for their actions or even actual words they say to you or on your site, but simply because they have certain views? Even if the said views do no harm to you or anyone else? Interesting.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.