Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What game do you truly regret buying?
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
Grogan Jun 11, 2023
I liked Witcher 2, but I play all the witcher games with cheats because I can't stand tedious sword play type combat. Silly, scripted sword strikes. That doesn't make me feel special in any way. Failure is arbitrary, that doesn't really feel like "combat" to me, just timed key pressing. Instead I'd rather watch the entertaining scripted events (decapitations, dismemberments etc.) without frustration.

For me those games are about the story, the graphics and ESPECIALLY the acting for me. In the Witcher 2, that's the Dwarves lol. Good character establishment for later too.

I would not have gotten past Chapter 2 in The Witcher 2. It was either find a cheat or abandon the game. (I think it was that Kraken fight that made me do it).

Last edited by Grogan on 11 June 2023 at 8:41 pm UTC
Grogan Jun 11, 2023
Quoting: NeoTheFoxAmnesia Rebirth - easily the worst Amnesia game made by Frictional

The only reason I didn't list that one was because I refunded it, TWICE (tried it again years later, native didn't work and neither did it with Proton. Horrible OpenGL programming on any platform)
williamjcm Jun 11, 2023
I probably have more, but the four that come to mind are Borderlands 2, NieR Automata, the System Shock remake, and Cyberpunk 2077.

Outside of the art style, I disliked everything about BL2. For Automata, literally the only thing I liked is the character design for 2B, 9S, and A2. Cyberpunk's character creator was incredibly limited and gender-locked, which went against the "you can be anything/anyone" tagline marketing loved repeating. And in the case of the System Shock remake, it's because Nightdive clearly didn't care about proper keyboard support (which was exacerbated by the fact Unreal Engine still uses layout-dependent key labels for bindings instead of layout-independent scancodes).

Thankfully, I was able to get both the SShock remake and Cyberjunk refunded, so at least the regret for those didn't last long.
Ehvis Jun 11, 2023
Quoting: GroganI liked Witcher 2, but I play all the witcher games with cheats because I can't stand tedious sword play type combat. Silly, scripted sword strikes. That doesn't make me feel special in any way. Failure is arbitrary, that doesn't really feel like "combat" to me, just timed key pressing. Instead I'd rather watch the entertaining scripted events (decapitations, dismemberments etc.) without frustration.

Always funny how people experience things differently. I played all Witcher games on the highest difficulty (excluding the permadeath one) because I need my failure to hurt for immersion. Considering the hundreds of hours I have in those three games, no complaints from me. :)

As for real purchase regrets, I'm not sure I have any strong enough to fall under the topic title. Most probably relate to crowd funding stuff. I suppose the most regrettable one would be "Crazy Justice". Apology for reminding people about that one. :D
Pengling Jun 11, 2023
I'm going to really show my age with this one, because the game I most regret buying is likely to be older than a bunch of people on GOL!

I most regret buying The Flintstones: Yabba Dabba Doo! for the Commodore 64. I picked it up because my cousin had the other Flintstones game for the C64 (simply titled "The Flintstones"), which I found fun, and thought that this one would be similarly good. IT WASN'T. It has awful gameplay with unclear goals and loads of cheap hits from enemies that you can't defend yourself from (some of whom are friendly characters in the show, meaning that the game also makes no sense), and the music is dreadful, too.

Worse, it was what we called a "full-price" game back then, costing a whole £10. I was only 8 years old, and I begged for an advance of my £1-per-week pocket-money from the next couple of months, and I sorely regretted it, because this game was an absolute steaming pile of Yabba Dabba Doo-Doo. As with all of my C64 games I still have it, and seeing the box-art alone still really irritates me. Lesson learned! Luckily, it taught me to make better purchasing decisions going forward.

For those on GOL who might've seen me mention in a news-thread that I was one of the idiots who backed the notorious disappointment that was Mighty No. 9, the reason that I didn't name that disaster here was because I at least had the good sense to only back that for about £5, which meant that I was never subjected to the game itself. (Though, that said, even the Kickstarter freebie of a small promotional 3DS game was a huge and disappointing botch - they only let US-based backers have that one, and never reversed that decision.)
StoneColdSpider Jun 11, 2023
Duke Nukem Forever: Balls Of Steel Edition

G'Day fellow tuxers......

I splashed out and got the Balls of Steel Edition and all I got was regret........

The graphics are...... Well...... They arnt good...... Even in 2012 they wernt good....... Everyone has a weird sheen to them..... Like they are made of wax...... The environments dont look too bad...... But they all still have a very lifeless feel about it...... Like a dolls house..... It looks real enough but you know its not.......

Sounds....... This is were it falls down..... Hard....... The sound work in this game is terrible....... John St. Jon is always good as Duke Nukem....... Thats not the issue....... Its everyone else....... All the women sound like college girls.... With really high pitch voices and giggling all the time...... The guns sound limp and the the environment sounds are lacking to say the least......

Controls are....... Fine....... On foot........ But the car controls...... Yes there are driving sections...... It is 2012 after all..... Are terrible........ The cars are very floaty and feel like they have no weight to them at all.......

Storyline is super simple........ April O'Neil has been kidnapped and its up to Ninja Tur....... Wait..... Wrong game....... *shuffles papers*........ Oh here it is....... Aliens have kidnapped Dukes two favourite groupies I cant Believe Its Not The Olsen Twins..... And its up to Duke Nukem to rescue them......

Gameplay is........ OK........ At times....... There is a lot of doing nothing in this game........ Where Duke trudges from point A to point B without much going on....... When there is shooting its not to bad..... Of course..... Being 2012.... There is a limit to the number of weapons you can carry at one time..... Which was the style at the time........ And there is a lot of mocking of other games....... Halo, Doom, Half-Life........ Which doesnt work since the game is so crap........

This game gets the official rating of CC...... Not the CC's corn chips sold in Australia...... CC stands for C.Rap Clowns....... The worst rating a game can get...... This game is pure trash and should not be played........ If you want a Balls of Steel box set....... Get the DVD box set of the Balls of Steel TV show....

If you enjoyed this review and want to see more of them....... Please visit the Weekend Players Club forum threads...... A new thread is posted every Saturday morning Australian time........
Grogan Jun 11, 2023
Duke Nukem Forever is terrible. It's insultingly stupid. That's the only reason I like it even a little, because it's so bad it's good. It's like, "the joke's on me". Highly offensive... I wish I was 12 years old for that game.

I don't see it often, and never get far if I do install it again. (I finished it once when it came out, just because it was completable)
Mezron Jun 12, 2023
I haven't bought many games in my life but that one that stands out is not the fault of the game itself.

Command & Conquer: Generals

I never like EA. My friends that I game with were all hyped about this game. Emailed me articles and what not. It was going to be the next game we all pick up and play. Prior to this we was playing Quake 2, UT99 and Myth II: Soulblighter pretty much every week.

So my entire crew got a copy and was playing it but I did not have a copy and at the time. Then at one of the LAN meet a good source was talking about how he got it up and running via WINE. So I get a copy and tried to get it up and running...brought the game and my rig to a LAN meet. Source dude could not get it working. Brought it back to Staples to get a refund but they gave me in store credit only, so I got a bunch of candy....gave it to my kids when I got home.
eldaking Jun 12, 2023
Bards Tale 4, which I backed on Kickstarter. I had just backed Torment: Tides of Numenera, which I found very satisfactory (eventually, wasn't out yet) and another game by the same team, with some cool ideas and a discount from backing the other one, seemed attractive.

Torment was a really good game despite failing to meet all the promises and stretch goals (and being delayed, but that I didn't even mind), but BT4 was a big disappointment in many ways and I haven't ever played it. The ridiculous delay in the Linux port, the Microsoft acquisition, the much higher system requirements... even the basic gameplay mechanics turned to be not quite what I expected from the pitch, they stuck with many things I didn't quite like and I vastly overestimated some things.

For a crowdfunding project, it wasn't a failure - delivered and wasn't horrible. But it was a game I should have known I wouldn't like, and I disliked their release priorities.

(No need to come tell me about the dangers of crowdfunding. I back stuff with knowledge of the risks and ready to accept a full loss, with the goal of helping cool projects happen, and I don't regret it any more than buying a game at full price)
CatKiller Jun 12, 2023
Payday on the PS3. My friends insisted that I had to get it for multiplayer with them, which didn't work, and the AI were entirely brain dead, so it was complete crap as a single player game, too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.