Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
New user warning system
Liam Dawe Jun 15, 2023
GamingOnLinux now has a built-in proper user warning system. Previously, I and other helpers would be sending a DM to people and it wasn't too great.

Now it will send the user a notification and tell people with a red warning banner at the top of the site telling them to check, so it can't really be missed. The notification can be dismissed, but the warning will stay on profiles (not public, but the user and admins can check).

This will help going forward, as we and users can see previous warnings properly.

Not only will this make it more official, easier to track, and help us understand context of behaviour quickly (as we could see first offence, repeat offenders etc) but it should also hopefully reduce friction and prevent some arguments.

This is only the start, eventually I will add more features into it like automatic time-outs for repeat offenders, put people automatically into the moderation queue for posts etc. But for now, it's just to help us keep track and not end up remove people who say only had a slip-up.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 15 June 2023 at 5:31 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Jun 16, 2023
Im sure it wont be long before I see the new system in action......

I will just blame it all on Dick Trickle.......
pete910 Aug 6, 2023
I know I've been out if it for a while due to work/life but never realised it was an issue on here to warrant such a move
Liam Dawe Aug 7, 2023
Quoting: pete910I know I've been out if it for a while due to work/life but never realised it was an issue on here to warrant such a move
Unfortunately there's been an increasing amount of problematic people either appearing, or always been here and suddenly showing a different side. Moderation happens behind the scenes but there's been a few bad cases lately of people I ended up completely removing.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.