Denuvo Disappointment
Pengling Jun 17, 2023
Not too long ago, Capcom announced a remake of the criminally-overlooked Nintendo DS game, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - a detective/adventure/puzzle game from the creator of the excellent Ace Attorney series. It finally went up on Steam recently and I went to wishlist it because it really is a great title - but then I noticed that it's going to have Denuvo Anti-tamper. Suffice it to say, I'll be skipping it until that's removed, leaving me unlikely to buy it at full-price.

It seems so odd to me to stick Denuvo on an up-port of a 13-year-old DS game, and it's a real shame that this basically punishes those who want to support the official releases early on - and I have no idea if Capcom removes Denuvo promptly after a game's launch, either.

I've only been a console expat for less than two years, so I've never run into this before (though I'm sure I will again, unfortunately), but I was disappointed enough by this one that I just had to ramble a little bit about it. Ah well, there's plenty more to play!
StoneColdSpider Jun 17, 2023
Thanks for the heads up........ Added it to my ignore list because of Denuvo....... Even if they remove Denuvo I will be waiting for it to go on super sale for under 10 Dollarydoos......
Klaas Jun 17, 2023
Boo. And there are Denuvo apologists as well:
QuoteAaand for what reason would you want to alter the game? I don't see any...
Grogan Jun 17, 2023
What kills me the most about Denuvo is how it makes the game executables 100 times the size. (e.g. typically a Denuvo infected game is around 400 Mb)
Grogan Jun 17, 2023
Quoting: KlaasBoo. And there are Denuvo apologists as well:
QuoteAaand for what reason would you want to alter the game? I don't see any...

Oh man, I can't stand those fawning, obsequious tools in game forums. It doesn't matter what it is, they'll defend the company's behaviour.
damarrin Jun 17, 2023
I loved this so much on the iPad. I was going to get it on PC because mobile games tend to disappear after a while, but Denuvo is a problem for me, too.
wvstolzing Jun 18, 2023
Sigh, you need to cut them some slack. Debian 12 just got released. How many developers does Devuan have? Do you realize how hard it's getting to release a distro purged from systemd?

But no... people *demand* their precious GNOME 48 or whatever... and Devuan has to deliver. Devuan has to figure out how to make pulse-plumbing to work without systemd. Devuan this, Devuan that; Devuan, Devuan, Devuan.

Devuan owes you nothing, buddy. Geez.
Pengling Jun 18, 2023
Quoting: wvstolzingSigh, you need to cut them some slack. Debian 12 just got released. How many developers does Devuan have? Do you realize how hard it's getting to release a distro purged from systemd?

But no... people *demand* their precious GNOME 48 or whatever... and Devuan has to deliver. Devuan has to figure out how to make pulse-plumbing to work without systemd. Devuan this, Devuan that; Devuan, Devuan, Devuan.

Devuan owes you nothing, buddy. Geez.
Um, I'm really sorry, but I don't know what Devuan is, and I don't use GNOME... I'm complaining about a DRM scheme that a closed-source Japanese video game developer is using...
StoneColdSpider Jun 18, 2023
Quoting: PenglingUm, I'm really sorry, but I don't know what Devuan is, and I don't use GNOME... I'm complaining about a DRM scheme that a closed-source Japanese video game developer is using...
I think they got the evil DRM Denuvo confused with the Debian Linux fork called Devuan......
Maybe they shouldve gone to specksavers.......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 18 June 2023 at 3:08 am UTC
Grogan Jun 18, 2023
I wonder if a Linux distribution protected by Denuvo might be a good idea. It's not fair that there's no native Linux port of Denuvo, and this would get them to port it!

We could call it... wait for it...

Denuvian
Smoke39 Jun 18, 2023
Quoting: Penglingand I have no idea if Capcom removes Denuvo promptly after a game's launch, either.
I was looking into the newer Resident Evil games on PC Gaming Wiki not too long ago, and it seems to vary a lot:

RE7: ~2 years
RE2 remake: ~a year
RE3 remake: ~half a year
RE8: ~2 years

2 and 3 are remakes, and I think 3 is shorter than 2, so there's some evidence that a smaller-scale re-release might be a relatively shorter wait, but who knows?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.