Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Payday 2 not launching when proton is enabled on steam
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
onurubu Jul 6, 2023
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 22.04
Desktop Environment: GNOME 42.5
Graphics Card: GTX 1050
GPU Driver Version: 535.54.03

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

My system readout

You can note your issue below here
I installed Payday 2 and enabled proton compatibility mode, since a couple weeks ago you can no longer enter online games using the native linux client. However after installing game, when I try to launch it on steam it just gets stuck on the "launching" display and doesn't progress from there. No crashes or freezing, just endless "launching"

I have reinstalled it twice with no changes, and have also deleted the prefix in the settings a number of times as was suggested by others. I have tried launching from proton experimental down to 5.

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here
I do not know if there are any ways to reproduce it currently. On the protondb page many people have stated they switched to the proton version with no issues and are playing online as normal. Other issues I have searched and found for the game not starting seem more to talk about crashes, while mine just never launches at all.
Grogan Jul 6, 2023
If it hasn't left the "Launching..." phase, the program hasn't returned success or failure for it to turn to green "Running..." text in Steam, or abort.

Crashes may seem like programs freezing or not responding, when one process or thread dies and the main program is still running.

In Steam, you might get some useful information (along with a lot of noise) if you enable Proton logging.

In the Launch Options field in Properties of the game, put:

PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

Attempt to start your game, and stop it after it doesn't launch. Now in your home directory you should fine a log file named steam-appidnumbers.log (with the appid numbers of the game)

It may not have much of anything, if it's not even getting to launch the game with Wine (Proton). It could be stuck on installing runtimes and thus never leaves "Launching..." status. The new Steam client stopped showing what the game setup is doing now, it used to show dialogs for installing various runtime redistributables.
onurubu Jul 7, 2023
Quoting: GroganAttempt to start your game, and stop it after it doesn't launch. Now in your home directory you should fine a log file named steam-appidnumbers.log (with the appid numbers of the game)

I followed your instructions but there was never a log file created after multiple attempts, even following a reboot after setting the launch parameters.
Grogan Jul 7, 2023
I guess it's not even getting far enough to create it, sorry.

I had a few Proton-GE builds that didn't log with PROTON_LOG=1 in the past, but that would be rare for that to not work.

You play other games with Proton and it works, I presume.

This is just a shot in the dark, but if you go to steam/steamapps/common and find the game installation directory, look for a directory named "Support" or "Third Party" or something (I've seen both). It may contain directx and msvc++ redistributables. If you can rename the runtime that it's hanging on, you might see if it proceeds further (and if it's really necessary, it may be possible to install with winetricks after the fact). Games that install runtime redists other than the common redists in "Steamworks Shared" tend to have them in the game directory.
onurubu Jul 7, 2023
Quoting: GroganAttempt to start your game, and stop it after it doesn't launch. Now in your home directory you should fine a log file named steam-appidnumbers.log (with the appid numbers of the game)

It may not have much of anything, if it's not even getting to launch the game with Wine (Proton). It could be stuck on installing runtimes and thus never leaves "Launching..." status. The new Steam client stopped showing what the game setup is doing now, it used to show dialogs for installing various runtime redistributables.

So i launched the game while I had the terminal command "journalctl -f" running as well and it said that a dll was missing, along with some other things. I downloaded the .dll but whenever I place it in the directory it tells me to and try to launch the game, the .dll file gets deleted. I tried making the file read only but it still doesn't work and gets deleted.

However, doing this dll download makes it so that the game goes past saying just "launching" on Steam and it says "Running" now on the client, but there is still no activity or a window that launches. This "fix" also stops after a reboot and it goes back to saying "launching" again.

However after doing this "dll fix" I was able to finally generate steam-218620.log as was requested. I also captured the new journalctl log from this temporary state.

Thanks for the help, and would love to get this sorted!
Grogan Jul 7, 2023
Proton will likely die in the ass like that if your vkd3d-proton and dxvk are broken, but your Payday 2 game seems to be DirectX 9.0c on Windows.

d3d12core.dll is part of vkd3d-proton, but until recently, it was just one dll. d3d12.dll. Proton bundles those and updates the wine prefix accordingly, but older versions of vkd3d-proton won't have the d3d12core.dll

Proton 8.0 does NOT have that newer version of vkd3d-proton, so perhaps the errors about the dll were related to switching from Experimental back to 8.0

Now, this is a 32 bit game so you would need to copy the 64 bit version to windows/system32 and the 32 bit version to windows/syswow64 if you were to do that.

You already said you've tried plunking down a new Wine prefix, but did you try creating a fresh one with Proton Experimental? Let's just make sure we're on the same page. The way I would do that would be to rename "218620" in compatdata (in case you want to go back to your current state of progress)

/home/onurubu/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/218620

Make sure Proton Experimental (or whatever proton you're going to use) is selected and then try to start the game freshly and let it create a new one. It should populate the wine prefix and copy the dlls correctly.

Sorry if I'm going over stuff you've already done, but I don't know how you did it.
onurubu Jul 7, 2023
Quoting: GroganYou already said you've tried plunking down a new Wine prefix, but did you try creating a fresh one with Proton Experimental? Let's just make sure we're on the same page. The way I would do that would be to rename "218620" in compatdata (in case you want to go back to your current state of progress)

/home/onurubu/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/218620

Make sure Proton Experimental (or whatever proton you're going to use) is selected and then try to start the game freshly and let it create a new one. It should populate the wine prefix and copy the dlls correctly.

I already tried creating a new prefix like this multiple times on proton versions from experimental down to 5. No luck unfortunately.

Quoting: GroganSorry if I'm going over stuff you've already done, but I don't know how you did it.

No apologies necessary at all! Thank you so much for still being willing totry and help solve my issue after so long. I genuinely appreciate it.
Klaas Jul 7, 2023
At first I thought that you had a broken proton setup, but I don't see how several different ones can have the same issue.

Quoting: onurubuI downloaded the .dll but whenever I place it in the directory it tells me to and try to launch the game, the .dll file gets deleted.
Did you use the MS one or the vkd3d one like Grogan said?

Can you check the sizes of the d3d9 and dxgi dlls in the syswow64 folder? The wine ones are much smaller than the dxvk ones…
Grogan Jul 7, 2023
Ahh yes, you have to copy the correct dlls from the version of Proton you are using if resorting to manual copying

For the ones that go in system32:

steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib64/wine/vkd3d-proton

For the ones that go in syswow64, that's

steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib/wine/vkd3d-proton

P.S. Corrected typo, I said lib64 for both

Proton versions prior to that (including 8.0) have their files in "dist" rather than "files"

Something is of course broken if you have to do things like that though.

Last edited by Grogan on 7 July 2023 at 9:43 pm UTC
onurubu Jul 7, 2023
Quoting: KlaasCan you check the sizes of the d3d9 and dxgi dlls in the syswow64 folder? The wine ones are much smaller than the dxvk ones…

They are 3.9 MB and 2.6 MB respectively.

Quoting: GroganAhh yes, you have to copy the correct dlls from the version of Proton you are using if resorting to manual copying

For the ones that go in system32:

For the ones that go in syswow64, that's

Proton versions prior to that (including 8.0) have their files in "dist" rather than "files"

Something is of course broken if you have to do things like that though.

I copied the dlls from the Proton files as you said and still have no luck. However now the dlls are not deleted whenever I try to launch the game so that seems better? It still just hangs on "launching" though.
Grogan Jul 7, 2023
I made a typo that I corrected, hopefully you knew better. I put lib64 for both paths where the 32 bit dist files are in lib

Have you considered trying Proton-GE?
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/GE-Proton8-6

In case you aren't familiar with it, unpack GE-Proton8-6.tar.gz to steam/compatibilitytools.d (probably /home/onurubu/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d create it if it's not already there)

Last edited by Grogan on 8 July 2023 at 3:06 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.