You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Retrieve root (Desktop mode) without factory reset
Lachu Jul 17, 2023
I forgot password for root. I remember PIN, but not password. I burn Arch Linux (and other distros) live cd onto SD Card, but when going to boot menu, these are not visible (not bootloader was visible). What can I do to reset root password without doing factory reset?
Lachu Jul 17, 2023
I am using USB type matching Deck USB port to Pendrive USB cable. Next I plug active (with own power) usb hub and plug USB keyboard to it. I try with Pendrive too. Not worked.
Lachu Jul 17, 2023
I think I realize what to do. I downloaded rescue CD from Valve site. I plug only my Steam-Specific-USB-type onto normal-USB adapter. I plug usb drive with rescue system burned. I can select it from boot menu! But... I still booting. I have read it can took one hour. I wait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tuoidv/forgot_my_password_for_the_konsole_now_what/

Nobody told to use passwd deck command after chroot-ing. Maybe it could work?

PS: How to set password to boot menu/bios?

Last edited by Lachu on 17 July 2023 at 3:20 pm UTC
mr-victory Jul 17, 2023
Can you use Polkit?

pkexec passwd
Lachu Jul 23, 2023
I perform fix. Problem was I cannot use keyboard, because I plug in LIVE USB. I created file named 'cat ' and helper. I put each command I maybe need to use into helper, open console in deck, copy name of 'cat ' and copy name of helper, place it in console in correct order. So, I can select text and copy/paste it in another terminal. I remove files passwd and shadow from overlays-etc-upper. I thought this does not works, because I type sudo passwd in normal system. So I try to solve problem for few days, without result. Soon I realized my user do not have password, so maybe just type passwd on normal system. This was working!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.