Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Likes and Edits
Valck Jul 25, 2023
Not a bug, not really a suggestion either, and on top of that, not even specific to just this web site...

I just edited a post of mine with a bit of clarification, and after submitting, it turned out to have garnered a "like" in the time it took to edit.
Now I don't think I have changed the post fundamentally, but it might still be different enough that the liker wouldn't "like" it in its modified form; however I doubt they get notified that I changed what they liked from under their feet, so to speak.
I know I would certainly want to know when something I figuratively put my signature on, gets changed in any way at all; failing that, or maybe alongside, I'd prefer to have my signature removed, just in case the post now says the opposite of what it used to be.
It's already an issue with fresh, ongoing discussions, but in my opinion even more so with older topics, where the changes might be much less noticeable, and memory of what was said less accurate...

The only way I could see this resolved would be a per-post, wiki-like edit history, where everyone interested could clearly see what was said when (and liked)... which would be awesome to have, should be an obvious thing and standard for any and all sites that are even remotely serious about accurate information, and still is something I doubt will ever happen anywhere, unless required by law...

Just something to keep in mind when you like anyone's posts, I guess.

Last edited by Valck on 25 July 2023 at 2:05 am UTC
Liam Dawe Jul 25, 2023
It would be pretty trivial just to add a post edit history, but it also feels a bit like overkill really for us. The likes feature was just supposed to be nothing more than a thumbs up, perhaps you're just thinking a bit too deep on it?

Will see how others feel if anyone else wants to jump in with their thoughts.
Pengling Jul 25, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweThe likes feature was just supposed to be nothing more than a thumbs up,
I always dole them out for posts I find interesting or entertaining, myself.

Quoting: Liam DaweWill see how others feel if anyone else wants to jump in with their thoughts.
When I was a youngster in my early days online (so, a long time ago now ), dial-up forced the habit of jotting down drafts in a text-file before making a post the next time I was able to be online. One time I posted the wrong note in the wrong spot and then had to make a hasty edit to replace it with the correct text. It was totally harmless and would've only looked silly and confusing if it had been seen before being corrected, but I would've been mortified if I'd accidentally pasted in something troublesome by mistake, like an e-mail draft from the wrong notes file or something, and then people would've been able to view it in an open edit-history.

I can understand it being a moderation ability to keep tabs on bad conduct, but I'd never want to see that as a standard feature on a social type of site, because human-nature doesn't change and people do make mistakes when posting online.
StoneColdSpider Jul 25, 2023
Quoting: PenglingWhen I was a youngster in my early days online (so, a long time ago now ), dial-up forced the habit of jotting down drafts in a text-file before making a post the next time I was able to be online. One time I posted the wrong note in the wrong spot and then had to make a hasty edit to replace it with the correct text. It was totally harmless and would've only looked silly and confusing if it had been seen before being corrected, but I would've been mortified if I'd accidentally pasted in something troublesome by mistake, like an e-mail draft from the wrong notes file or something, and then people would've been able to view it in an open edit-history.

I can understand it being a moderation ability to keep tabs on bad conduct, but I'd never want to see that as a standard feature on a social type of site, because human-nature doesn't change and people do make mistakes when posting online.
yeah it would be really bad if you wrote a story for playboy and accidentally posted it on GOL...... And even after the edit it stuck around for all to see......
damarrin Jul 26, 2023
Yeah, it's not a peer-reviewed science paper, there's no reason to keep a history of changes.
Grogan Jul 26, 2023
Most people aren't going to be making drastic edits to their posts. I make corrections, maybe better wording, and depending on the nature of the post, often think of additions later.

Also though, sometimes if I say something unfairly harsh to somebody I'll rethink it and temper it a bit, but the gist is going to be the same.

P.S. I couldn't even make this post without an edit lol

Last edited by Grogan on 26 July 2023 at 5:47 pm UTC
rcrit Jul 27, 2023
I guess he's concerned about a post that starts as "I love puppies, unicorns and kittens" getting a bunch of likes, then modifying it to "I eat puppies, ..."

The question from the initial post still stands: do users get notified of edits to a post they've liked? I think they probably do. Whether they would re-read a long thread to find which ones they "like" I don't know.
Liam Dawe Jul 27, 2023
There's no notification on post edits, that would feel a bit spammy to me. But as always, I'll see what others think. Not against any changes, but tracking all edits to comments and forum posts and notifying people - it just feels like overkill for community posts here.
pete910 Aug 6, 2023
Quoting: damarrinYeah, it's not a peer-reviewed science paper, there's no reason to keep a history of changes.

Yes but, We're Linux users and we like our change logs.....
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.