Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Getting the right GPU for existing system...
Oliver_Godby Sep 9, 2023
Hello All,

I am new here, but not completely new to Gaming on Linux.

Nonetheless I need some advice... I am running Arch on an Entroware Poseidon that I bought from a former employer, and the CPU and RAM are more than up to the challenge vis a vis most games that I want to play, but the built in Intel Graphics (I am pretty sure it's UHD 750) could do with some help, so I am thinking of buying an nVidia GPU (I am open to buying something else if anyone has strong recommendations, but I think that I have picked up that nVidia support is the more reliable on Linux in general).

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a card that will fit / work, by any chance..? I am ok to spend around £250 - £300, perhaps a little more if there's a really strong candidate that's close to my budget.

Thanks in advance!

Oli
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Xpander Sep 9, 2023
AMD GPUs
pros:
Integrated into linux Kernel.
Faster updates/bugfixes possible
Mostly troublefree Desktop Experience

cons:
no DLSS and CUDA
GPU driver hangs can cause full system lockups

Nvidia:
pros:
DLSS, CUDA and decent Raytracing support
GPU driver hangs recover nicely with no hard locks

cons:
Some issues/problems with some Desktop Environments
Bugfixes are coming out slower, due to driver release schedules.

Pick your poison i guess.. Can't go wrong with either these days. Just what features you need more.

Ohh forgot.. as for Price range..i guess you can get much better value GPU from AMD with that pricerange, unless you really need DLSS and Cuda.

Last edited by Xpander on 9 September 2023 at 2:39 pm UTC
emphy Sep 9, 2023
If that's the system with the fractal design define c mini for a case you'll want a video card with modest power usage, I'd say around 120W. Make sure the system has at least two fans (preferably 140mm) in front, one (120mm) in the back. Preference for pwm fans if the motherboard supports it. The define c mini is known to be hot, so being careful of your heat management is no luxury.

Please check for your self for the dimensions, but if I recall correctly a card with maximum length of 300mm should be able to fit comfortably.

Searching for max performance within the power budget, that leaves you with two options: amd rx6600 (non xt) or nvidia rtx4060 (non ti). Of those two, the rtx4060 is the faster option, with roughly equal power consumption.

I have no recent experience with nvidia cards in linux, but the rx6600 works fine out of the box in the latest linux mint.

Last edited by emphy on 9 September 2023 at 4:07 pm UTC
Oliver_Godby Sep 13, 2023
Thanks All, I am going to have a try and really appreciate your thoughts
Obscure Sep 13, 2023
In the price range you looking at right now there is really 3 options,
-6650XT for £230
-7600 for £250
-4060 for £280

Not really to much between them but the AMD GPU's come with a copy of Starfield if you want it or know someone to sell it to if you want to save a extra little money. I think the 6650XT is pretty good value with the free game and it's current price point.
Julius Sep 15, 2023
Check your PSU if it has the right 8/16 pin power connector for the card you want.

Also have a look at the Intel Arc 750, which should fit into your budget and Linux drivers are not that bad any more AFAIK.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.