Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Potential downtime coming up
Liam Dawe Oct 11, 2023
Hi all, it’s looking like we’re going to require a server migration. Currently we’re on CentOS7 that’s reaching EOL and something needs to be done.

Due to the server config the options are a little limited and may require moving to a different more expensive server. So just a note that if you see some downtime either today or over the next week this is likely why.
CatKiller Oct 11, 2023
Out of interest, what are you moving to?
Liam Dawe Oct 11, 2023
Update: After a chat with the server host, we're now moving to a *very* slightly newer server for the same price but we're also getting their fancy backup system thrown in. So there *may* be some downtime coming up but hopefully very minimal as they will be doing a migration.
Grogan Oct 11, 2023
I'm still on CentOS 7.x (7.9.2009 in /etc/redhat-release) too on my web/mail server, I've probably got another year left on that server contract (I hate moving servers... a lot of busy work and always more money) but CentOS 7 is going to be EOL in June. I don't like spending time working on servers that don't do a lot (most important thing is the mail server now) so I use CPanel nowadays. At the time, CentOS 7.x was still the recommended base.

Don't know what I'm going to do next. Probably just a bare OS install, I don't actually host any other sites anymore. The hosting company will put on any OS I want (base OS with nothing but SSH enabled).

$ uname -r
3.10.0-1160.99.1.el7.x86_64 <--- LOL Redhat kernel versions
Liam Dawe Oct 11, 2023
Cpanel here too, it's all I know heh but we're moving over to Alma on the new server, seemed like the sanest choice.
Grogan Oct 11, 2023
I might do the same if I stay with Cpanel. It sounds better than that CloudLinux they try to push.
BlackBloodRum Oct 11, 2023
Liam, do you really need Cpanel? It sounds like an unnecessary additional expense. FWIW, if you plan to stay in the RHEL family of distributions, I might recommend Rocky Linux and, if necessary, for managing the system you could just use Redhats Cockpit software (it's available in the base distro, including on derivatives like Rocky). That'll give you a web interface to manage things with.

Just my 2c.
Liam Dawe Oct 12, 2023
I don't believe I *need* cpanel no, but it's a lot less hassle than having to relearn everything and it just works and has worked for me the entire time GOL has been up so I just prefer to keep using it.

New server is online, and testing on it will begin soon.
Liam Dawe Oct 21, 2023
Tomorrow, around 3PM UTC, our big server move will start. So there will be some downtime.
Grogan Oct 21, 2023
Good luck with the move, Liam. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.