Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Finally got a Steam Deck - thoughts and first impressions
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Oct 19, 2023
Well as a portable enthusiast anyway, your thoughts on it properly could be a nice read for people :)
Pengling Oct 19, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweWell as a portable enthusiast anyway, your thoughts on it properly could be a nice read for people :)
I'll do my best. I'll take my time to get it right, though!
CatKiller Oct 19, 2023
Quoting: PenglingI would love a controller derived from the controls offered by the Steam Deck - they're such high-quality controls, and it would complete the "docked" package to have a matching controller to go with it all.
A Deck-control controller would essentially be a PS4 controller with back buttons. Which would be great, sure. Whether that came with Steam branding, PlayStation branding, or something else branding doesn't really matter that much.
Pengling Oct 19, 2023
Quoting: CatKillerA Deck-control controller would essentially be a PS4 controller with back buttons. Which would be great, sure. Whether that came with Steam branding, PlayStation branding, or something else branding doesn't really matter that much.
Maybe so, but I'd honestly like to see what they could offer. I'd rather buy a standard-format controller from them than from Sony, whose controllers unfortunately hurt my hands and wrists, which is why I don't buy those in the first place.

Valve clearly has a good grasp on ergonomics, and sometimes it's just nice to have things matching, and be able to put my money where my mouth is and support a company that's committed to supporting my OS of choice.
LordDaveTheKind Oct 20, 2023
Quoting: PenglingEpic list, by the way - will you be doing more in the future?
By end of the year for sure.
Pengling Oct 20, 2023
Quoting: LordDaveTheKindBy end of the year for sure.
Awesome to hear - looking forward to seeing it.
denyasis Oct 20, 2023
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: PenglingI would love a controller derived from the controls offered by the Steam Deck - they're such high-quality controls, and it would complete the "docked" package to have a matching controller to go with it all.
A Deck-control controller would essentially be a PS4 controller with back buttons. Which would be great, sure. Whether that came with Steam branding, PlayStation branding, or something else branding doesn't really matter that much.

I would argue, at least with the Steam branding, one would assume a guarantee of first class support and integration with Valve products (like the Deck, input support, link, etc)...

If the Deck is successful, hopefully more accessories would be in the pipe. It would serve Valves interest in terms of keeping people on the platform. Although I can certainly understand any hesitanticy as the target audience is prolly really small (Deck users that "living room play" with it docked)

On a side note, for the Decks ergonomics... I really like it, like the controller, they are very comfortable to hold!!

Last edited by denyasis on 20 October 2023 at 10:04 pm UTC
CatKiller Oct 21, 2023
Quoting: denyasisI would argue, at least with the Steam branding, one would assume a guarantee of first class support and integration with Valve products (like the Deck, input support, link, etc)...

Meh. Sony maintains the upstream Linux driver for their controllers, and Valve have dropped the ball in the past (Index not having 100% functionality on Linux, not testing CS2 on Linux). I'd expect it to be a draw for those two in terms of timeliness and breadth of support. Your 8bitdo, MadCatz, Logitech, and the like are going to only have community support rather than first-party support, it's true.

QuoteIf the Deck is successful, hopefully more accessories would be in the pipe. It would serve Valves interest in terms of keeping people on the platform. Although I can certainly understand any hesitanticy as the target audience is prolly really small (Deck users that "living room play" with it docked)

It wouldn't really be just that market, though; it's the "wanting to play games from Steam without KBM" market. That's laptop gamers, HTPC gamers, and desktop gamers leaning back, more than it is Deck gamers. Valve do have experience in that field, and they do track how many gaming sessions are done worldwide with a controller, so it is a feasible thing for them to go for. But they aren't really a hardware company, and they're going to do as much "making the controller work with Steam" regardless of who a particular controller comes from. "Is this a need that our customers have that isn't being filled by someone else?" is the kind of question Valve would ask to get over their inertia, rather than "can we sell this for more than it takes to make it?" which is the question that a hardware company with existing production lines would ask.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.