Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
OLED regret
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Glittery Dec 4, 2023
Does it look like this? I also have that but really minimal
damarrin Dec 4, 2023
Quoting: m2mg2
Quoting: Linas
Quoting: satorideponSomeone also reported that they had this issue but it disappeared on it's own.
You know what, I did think it has become less noticeable when I was playing last night. Thought I was imagining stuff, but maybe there is some "break in" period with these screens.

Quoting: damarrinOn the LCD I used to run at around 30% when playing during daytime, on the OLED I had to put it up to 40%. Below that everything just becomes washed out and hard to see. So, not the same problem, but still, the screen becomes unusable below 40% brightness.
0% on the OLED is dimmer and 100% is brighter than on the LCD, so the scale is not the same, making it harder to compare.

I did play a bit of Shotgun King at 0% brightness in near complete darkness last night, and it is mostly usable. Also ok for web browsing and reading.

I also encountered another issue while playing The Walking Dead Michonne. There was a lot of ghosting around the characters hair. You see, the main character has black hair, and if it gets dark enough that the OLED pixels are actually off, they don't seem to be able to react quickly enough when the image moves. I had to increase the brightness in-game so that it is no longer black, but slightly grey, so that the pixels stay on, and the ghosting disappeared.

In the end the image was fine, not anything to complain about. But considering that the quality of the LCD screen is already really good, has good enough contrast and uniform colors, and you don't have to fiddle with it to avoid ghosting, I'd say that the LCD is actually a better choice.

Unfortunately we don't get to choose if we want the better battery life. They should have an option to keep all the other updates but stick with the LCD. So we could get the 6nm chip, the antenna and wifi upgrades, the bigger battery but stick with the LCD screen.

Specifically the bigger battery is tied to the thinner screen, so at least that's a no-go. And the improved battery life is at least partially tied to the OLED being less power hungry, so even if they managed to cram the 50 Wh battery in there, the benefits would be less than they are with the OLED.
Linas Dec 4, 2023
Quoting: GlitteryDoes it look like this? I also have that but really minimal
It does.

The most frustrating about this experience is that they are selling the OLED as the ultimate version. It should just be better than the LCD screen in every way. We should really not have to deal with all the caveats and finicky bits when paying for premium.
m2mg2 Dec 4, 2023
Quoting: damarrin
Quoting: m2mg2
Quoting: Linas
Quoting: satorideponSomeone also reported that they had this issue but it disappeared on it's own.
You know what, I did think it has become less noticeable when I was playing last night. Thought I was imagining stuff, but maybe there is some "break in" period with these screens.

Quoting: damarrinOn the LCD I used to run at around 30% when playing during daytime, on the OLED I had to put it up to 40%. Below that everything just becomes washed out and hard to see. So, not the same problem, but still, the screen becomes unusable below 40% brightness.
0% on the OLED is dimmer and 100% is brighter than on the LCD, so the scale is not the same, making it harder to compare.

I did play a bit of Shotgun King at 0% brightness in near complete darkness last night, and it is mostly usable. Also ok for web browsing and reading.

I also encountered another issue while playing The Walking Dead Michonne. There was a lot of ghosting around the characters hair. You see, the main character has black hair, and if it gets dark enough that the OLED pixels are actually off, they don't seem to be able to react quickly enough when the image moves. I had to increase the brightness in-game so that it is no longer black, but slightly grey, so that the pixels stay on, and the ghosting disappeared.

In the end the image was fine, not anything to complain about. But considering that the quality of the LCD screen is already really good, has good enough contrast and uniform colors, and you don't have to fiddle with it to avoid ghosting, I'd say that the LCD is actually a better choice.

Unfortunately we don't get to choose if we want the better battery life. They should have an option to keep all the other updates but stick with the LCD. So we could get the 6nm chip, the antenna and wifi upgrades, the bigger battery but stick with the LCD screen.

Specifically the bigger battery is tied to the thinner screen, so at least that's a no-go. And the improved battery life is at least partially tied to the OLED being less power hungry, so even if they managed to cram the 50 Wh battery in there, the benefits would be less than they are with the OLED.

I had seen that but I don't know that it's 100% the only option. Newer designs tend to get better naturally. Vita went from OLED to LCD and got smaller with better battery life. I was already reading about the differences and read that LCD is often more power efficient than OLED. Can't help but think Valve could make some kind of change, even if some other small sacrifice was made (other than battery), to give us a similar LCD option. OLED does have draw backs including life span and burn in. What do we do when the only replacement screens we can get are used? Everyone is going to have burn in. I guess if they are popular enough long term, someone should keep making the screens or as technology gets better someone will make an LCD that can swap out with the OLED. We can hope
NimrodX Dec 18, 2023
I don't usually like to buy "the latest thing" until other people have had a chance to be the guinea pigs for months to a year. it seems like hardware especially always has production/design issues that take some time to get fixed.
Lofty Dec 19, 2023
Quoting: NimrodXI don't usually like to buy "the latest thing" until other people have had a chance to be the guinea pigs for months to a year. it seems like hardware especially always has production/design issues that take some time to get fixed.

A lot of the weaker areas that have to be fixed with display technologies rarely are. What we have are mitigations / workarounds and some gradual improvements + tuning of firmware to a point of 'good enough' perhaps slightly different tolerances and better manufacturing technique.

essentially each display technology such as:

TV/Monitor
CRT,
Plasma,
LCD,
E-Ink,
Mini-LED LCD,
Micro-LED LCD,
OLED,
QD-OLED,
D-ILA
SXRD
DLP,
DLP-Laser

etc...

They all have strengths and weakness that are basically intrinsic. im wondering if a better LCD screen in the deck would receive praise similar to the new OLED if it was capable of decent HDR and had a better panel in general should one be released ?

Last edited by Lofty on 21 December 2023 at 5:13 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.