Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Weekend Players' Club 12/1/2023
StoneColdSpider Dec 1, 2023
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….. Its a sunny Saturday here right now…….……

[+..••] This week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Arcade

Sexy Parodius (1996 Konami) - Shoot 'em up – Horizontal

Console

Bomberman '94 (1993 Hudson Soft) - NEC PC Engine - Maze
ESPN NFL 2K5 (2004 Sega) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NFL Blitz 2024 (2023 NFL Blitz Resurrection) - Nintnedo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Tecmo Super Bowl 2024 (2023 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)
TOCA Touring Car Championship (1997 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Racing)

PC

NASCAR Heat 5 (2020 Motorsport Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)
Race 07 (2007 SimBin) - Steam - Sports (Racing)
SRX: The Game (2021 Monster Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

Dick Trickles Racing Career: Part 43
NASCAR Dirt to Daytona: Part 43
2005 Featherlite Modified Series Season 2: Race 9

Intro music…... Hello and welcome to Left Turn Heaven….. Im Murray Eastlake and today im going to be bringing you all the action from the 2005 Featherlite Modified Series: Round 9 of 11 here at Welch Valley Racing Complex……..

Welch Valley Racing Complex…….

Welch Valley Racing Complex is 2.22 miles long with 9 turns….. This is the only road course the Featherlite Modified Series attends…… The turns are fast and sweeping…… The straights are very long….. You need a good all round car that handles very well for this track……. Being such a different track to anything else on the calendar really does mean anything can happen here at Welch Valley Racing Complex…..

Well with the championship all wrapped up…… There is only pride and sponsorships to race for…… A win would not only break Dicks domination but could raise the price for sponsorship next season….. So there is still lots to race for……

Dick is racing to keep his winning streak in tact and to be the first ever driver to be undefeated in a Featherlite Modified Series season…….. Jason Sulivan is racing to prove he is still worthy of being considered a contender next season……. Joel York is racing to try and finally best Francis Lee in a race…… And Gray Soros is racing to prove that they were worthy of being a championship contender this season…..

Who will get the win they need???…… Will there be surprises at the road course again???…… Can Dick continue his domination of the series this year???…… There was no Dirt Series race this week so Dick has been 100% focused on this event…...

Dont touch the sets...... Dont touch the dials...... You wont want to miss a single moment of the 2005 Featherlite Modified Series....… Practice and qualifying are coming up right now……

Dick Trickle at the track ready to race.…

Practice was a good time for Dick…… He ran a few installation laps to check that everything was in working fine and then upped the pace to run a few very fast laps…… He was very happy with how everything was going and thats a very bad sign for the competition……..

Qualifying was up next…… And Dick was once again the class of the field……. Setting a stunning lap time of 1:14.119……… He was a astonishing 3.7 seconds clear of second placed man…….. Former series champion Jason Sulivan…… Who could only manage a 1:17.879 to claim second place……..

Third was Francis Lee who was quite a bit back from Jason Sulivan with a time of 1:19.410…….. Joel York who still cant get the best of Lee was in fourth with a 1:20.598……..

And rounding out the top five was another former series champion William Anderson…… Who could only muster up a 1:21.189………

Second placed in the championship Gray Soros could again only manage a sixth place to start the race with a time of 1:21.869……… He needs to find some pace and quick……. His second spot in the championship could be in jeopardy……..

Qualifying Results....…..

Dick Trickle lined up ready to start the race......

Dick leads the field to the green flag for the 23 lap race…… Dick and Jason Sulivan both got a great jump and were neck and neck heading to the first turn…… With Francis Lee and Joel York also side by side…… And William Anderson with Gray Soros side by side as well…… Its like Noahs Ark….. They are all going in pairs at the moment…..

Dick and Sulivan were still side by side as they exited turn one and were heading to turn two……. Neither man wanting to give up……. Dick was looking a bit squirrelly on cold tyres……. Sulivan needs to take advantage of that right now……..

Meanwhile Francis Lee and Joel York are still side by side as well…… York is looking very determined to beat Lee here today…… And the road course might be just the place to do it……..

Gray Soros has gotten ahead of William Anderson exiting turn one…… But Anderson still has the inside running to turn two so its not over yet……

Through turn two and Jason Sulivan takes the lead as Dick struggles with cold tyres early on…… Joel York also gets the best of Francis Lee as he gets in front of his longtime rival…….

Gray Soros has managed to hold off William Anderson to now have fifth place……. Anderson is right behind him and he doesnt look like hes going to let that go either as he is all over the rear of Soros……

Down to turn three and Dick hangs it around the outside of Jason Sulivan as they fight for the lead…….. Sulivan tries his best to squeeze Dick against the outside wall as they exit turn three but he is not able to over power Dick……

Joel York managed to hold off Francis Lee for now as Lee is looking to take back third place……. But is unable to do so for the moment……

By the time they get to turn four Dick has the clear lead now and its starting to build up a gap already as they exit turn four and head to the hairpin………

Gray Soros is working hard to keep William Anderson behind him…… Anderson is looking faster than Soros but is not able to get past……. At least hes not having a boring race this week…….

Out front and Dick completes the first lap is already 3.5 seconds ahead of Jason Sulivan……. Sulivan just has no answers for the might of Dick……. As he sits in a very comfortable second place……. A few seconds further back is Joel York and Francis Lee who are still fighting hard for third……. While Gray Soros rounds out the top five……. But William Anderson is still right there attacking to take back fifth place……

The race settles down a bit now after that mad first lap……. As Dick builds a huge lead over Jason Sulivan…… Sulivan is now in a very comfortable second place…… He looks like hes going to have the very boring race from now on……

Joel York is starting to struggle to keep Francis Lee behind him……. Lee is all over his rear like underwear…… As just like underwear he is looking for the crack to slide into…….. But Lee just cant find a way past…..

Gray Soros is showing great composure further back and he is still holding off William Andersons advances….. Soros is doing an excellent job of placing the car is just the right position to prevent Anderson to pass….. Anderson is looking quite frustrated as he continues to sit behind Soroses rear…….

At the half way mark and not much has changed…… Dick has a massive lead and is not far off lapping second placed man Jason Sulivan…… Who is had a very solitary race……. I hope the team are feeding my commentary into his earpiece so he can hear my golden tone to keep him awake…..

Joel York is still struggling to keep Francis Lee behind him……. As Lee keeps finding gaps but is not able to take advantage of them yet…… York is looking very shaky right now……..

Not looking shaky is Gray Soros who is still doing a fine job of defending from William Anderson who it not even getting a sniff of a gap from Soroses rear……..

As the laps wind down Dick has lapped the entire field and is looking to take a record ninth win this season…… He is looking very comfortable in the Grinch Performance Modified Flaming Dick Machine…….

Another one looking very comfortable is Jason Sulivan who is still in a very lonely second place…….. He is well ahead of Joel York……..

Joel York is still just holding back Francis Lee who is still hounding the rear of York…… Lee is not going to give up and will continue to fight till the chequered flag falls…..

Gray Soros is still doing a great job defending from William Anderson…… Just like York…... Anderson is still fighting hard and is ready to pounce if Soros makes even the tiniest mistake….

As Dick starts his final lap he drops the pace….. Cruising around the track to make sure he finishes the race……..

FRANCIS LEE RUNS AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF JOEL YORK AND PINCHES YORK ON THE INSIDE AND KILLS HIS MOMENTUM……. LEE KEEPS HIS MOMENTUM UP AND OUT DRAGS YORK DOWN THE MAIN STRAIGHT TO TURN ONE……… FRANCIS LEE HAS FINALLY MANAGED TO GET PAST JOEL YORK ON THE PENULTIMATE LAP……. What a great maneuver……. Joel York looks shell shocked in the car and cant believe what has just happened……

Gray Soros is on his penultimate lap…… Soros is still defending well from the attacking William Anderson……… SOROS IS SLOW OUT OF THE CORNER AND WILLIAM ANDERSON IS RIGHT THERE TO ATTACK…… HE HAS THE OVERLAP AS THEY HEAD TO THE HAIRPIN…….. ANDERSON HAS THE INSIDE LINE……. SOROS IS FIGHTING HARD TO KEEP THE POSITION BUT HE IS HUNG OUT TO DRY ON THE OUTSIDE……… WILLIAM ANDERSON HAS TAKEN FIFTH PLACE…….. Gray Soros looks just as shocked as Joel York did a few moments ago……..

As the chequered flag is waved Dick crosses the line to take a truly dominate race win…… His ninth in a row this season…… I have my doubts anyone is going to stop Dick this season…… I have never seen such a dominate driver or car in the Featherlite Modified Series……

Second is Jason Sulivan who had one of the most boring races ever……. After the first few turns he was never in the hunt…… And had to settle for second place……. And while not a win its still another solid top five finish….. His sixth so far this season……

Third was Francis Lee who just got passed Joel York in the closing stages of the race…… Lee showed true racer skill and played the long marathon game to claim third place in the end….. He still has Joel Yorks number…….

Fourth was Joel York who just cant catch a break with Francis Lee…… He fought so hard but a podium position slipped through his fingers at the death…… At least this week he doesnt have a tore up race car to go along with the disappointment……. So I guess thats a positive….. Though I dont think I would say that to him right now…….

Fifth place was William Anderson who just like Francis Lee pulled a rabbit out of the hat at the dying stages of the race to claim a sensational fifth place finish……. This is the complete opposite of the last two boring races he has had……. And what a great way to end it for Anderson…… He will be happy with yet another top five finish……

Currently sitting second place in the champion Gray Soros could only managed another sixth place finish…… His pace has dropped off a lot in recent weeks and he is real danger of losing that second place in the championship if he doesnt find that speed again soon……. He will be well disappointed with the result here today……...

Race Results..…

Dick celebrates another win with his usual mammoth burnout down the main straight…… The crowd in the stands are going wild as the tyre smoke fills the air and Dick disappears from view…… The crowd chants for more Dick as he continues the burnout…… You cant see him but you sure can hear that engine screaming in the smoke………

Finally Dick ends the burnout and we have to wait quite a while for the smoke to clear……. Dick drives out of the smoke like a scene from a movie…… And makes his way to victory lane…… He passes Jason Sulivan on the way and flips him the bird “Im still the new number one” says Dick as he drives past…… Sulivan again yells obscenities at Dick as he drives away…….. I dont think this feud is quite over yet…….

Dick finally makes his way over to victory lane….. It feels like its taken an age since the race ended…….. A very happy Dick climbs out of the car and is greeted by the almost more happy Pussy Galore who gives him a big kiss…….

I managed top pull Dick off Pussy for a moment to get a word with the race winner……. “Thanks Murray……. This year has been tremendous for us…… And I plan to keep going all the way to end……. Im so close to the perfect season…… I know I can do it…… And if I do ill get a “special surprise” that Pussy Galore has promised me……… I just need to stay focused on it…….. And stay out of trouble…… Which is easier said then done with Jason Sulivan out there as well…….”

“The Grinch Performance Modified Flaming Dick Machine was perfect out there again today……. The extra time spent on it without a dirt race this week really showed with just how fast and on rails it was…….. Superb to drive as well…… I couldnt fault it at all…….”

“The start was interesting….. As bring on pole here you start on the outside for turn one so it made it hard to get clear of [Jason] Sulivan….. And he drove really hard for the first few corners…… And he tried to pinch me against the wall at one point……. But I was able to deal with him soon enough and get away…….. As long as im in front he cant do anything to me…… Hes to slow to catch me thats for sure…….”

“Back to the ovals next week and only 2 races left…… I hope to continue the Dick Domination™ next week…….. It should be an interesting race…… I just had a peek at the standing on the big screen behind you…… The battle for second has really heated up now…… Should be a great race…….. Will see you there Murray…….”

Well there you have it folks…….. That is one excited and happy Dick…….

Next week the 2005 Featherlite Modified Series heads to New Hampshire International Raceway….. The second and final trip there this season……..

Can Dick continue his perfect season???……. Or will Gray Soros get the win and secure second place???……. Can Francis Lee or Joel York steal second place from Gray Soros with a victory???……. The second place battle has really heated up now with those three men only separated by 12 points…..…. A lot is on the line next week…… Who will win and grin???….. And who will lose and blow a fuse???……..

Tune in next week for the answers to all these questions and more….. Exclusively here on Left Turn Heaven……..

This is Murray Eastlake reporting for Left Turn Heaven..... And until next time its goodbye from me....

Winnings.…

NASCAR Heat Weekly.…

2005 Modified Series Championship Standings after round 9 of 11.…

First lap Modified Dick action....

***INTERMISSION……...***

2023 Advent Gaming Calendar

Its that time of year again……. I gave my lovely assistant a list of 40+ games I have never played before……. My assistant had the task of culling the list down to 25 games and putting them in order for the Gaming Advent Calendar……. And I have no idea what games made the cut and what order they are in……

Day 1
Behind door number 1 was……. Bomberman ‘94…….
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!……….

This game is quite fun…… The colours are really bright and bold…… The controls are nice and tight…… The sounds are good and the music is great……. Though they have no idea what a kangaroo is…… A kangaroo doesnt walk and its not a lime green colour…….. For a Bomberman game its not bad……. Its a good bit of fun…… And its nothing like you would see in a Video Games Awards Show these days…….. You know what they say…… A Bomberman game a day keeps the Dorito Pope away…….

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 1600 PES points out of 5000……….

The Best Worst Ad I Saw During College Football…...

This week we have this Pizza Hut ad…... The “food” looks disgusting and and the general vibe of the ad is not very good….. Even the background music is shite…… Do you Americans really eat this shit???…….

Next week…… There will be more hardcore modified Dick Trickle racing action in NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona……. Touring car racing in Race 07…….. 2023 Gaming Advent Calendar…….. And more PES Penguin 6……….

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you get if you cross Santa with a detective???….
A: Santa Clues…...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 2 December 2023 at 2:59 am UTC
Mezron Dec 1, 2023
I'm quite excited for this weekend. It will be doing a lot of video gaming which is not normal.

Tonight I'm going to an bar event to play some Demolition Racer via ReDream on my laptop with some friends.

Saturday my kids (adults) are coming to visit and exchange some gifts so my youngest and I will be playing Skullgirls 2nd Encore the DRM Free version.

My wife and I got into Warframe. She's play via of her Nintendo Switch and I'm using GeForce Now. I don't want any of that game on my HDs.

We've been having a great time! She got her eldest sister into it so we are doing some hours in it on Sunday.

Last edited by Mezron on 1 December 2023 at 9:45 pm UTC
Pengling Dec 2, 2023
I've got a pair of 8-bit games lined up this week - one for the Game Boy, and one for the NES.

I had originally intended to play Bomberman Wars (PlayStation) this weekend, but because strategy-RPGs are absolutely not my genre, I found that I simply didn't click with it and ended up getting bored. This was unfortunate, since it's clearly a well-made game with a lot of personality, but nobody enjoys every single genre out there, so I had to bring in the games that I had lined up for next week, instead. At least I can say that I've tried it, though.

So, without further ado, on with the Game Boy and NES picks!

First up is a rarity indeed! I ended up learning that there was a South Korean-exclusive English translation of Bomberman GB, which is the game that, for its Western release, was reworked into Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! - so, it is both Wario Blast and yet not, simultaneously.

Obviously, there is no Wario - which also means that Wario Blast's vibe of Wario's side of the story being the playable bad ending is entirely absent! In Bomberman GB, Bomberman is out to retrieve items that were stolen from him by a gang known as the Madbombers (or the "Black Bombermen" in Japan - with the English loanword "black" used as in "black-hearted", and of no relation to Bomberman's brother, Black Bomberman, who is of course Kuro Bomberman in Japanese), whereas in Wario Blast he had to team up with the gang in order to retrieve his stolen items from Wario and prevent him from taking over Planet Bomber - it's an interesting duality for what is otherwise exactly the same game, which from a modern perspective ends up unintentionally providing what could be seen as a tiny bit of worldbuilding and character-development regarding the criminal Bomber-gang.

This wonky, overly-literal, and occasionally unintentionally-hilarious translation is from a Korea-only Game Boy Colour-only compilation called Bomberman Selection, from 2003 (which was VERY late in the Game Boy Colour's life, since it had already been superseded by the Game Boy Advance in 2001), which in turn is a stripped-down-but-colourised version of the earlier Bomberman Collection, which was released in Japan for the original Game Boy in 1996. It's a fascinating look at how Bomberman GB might've looked if the Wario crossover didn't happen - though chances are that it would've had a translation that's above the level of a fan-made ROM-hack from the early 2000s, unlike this bizarre and obscure official release.

My second pick for this weekend is Battle City, originally released for the Famicom by Namco in 1985 (which was the same year that Bomberman debuted on the system, funnily enough). It was never released on the NES outside of Japan, but it's always been a very common inclusion on pirate-multicarts and the built-in game selections that were associated with Famiclones, so it's well-known in a lot of countries regardless.

Battle City sees the player defending themselves and their base against enemy tanks, which come in different sizes, each requiring a different amount of hits to defeat. There are 35 stages, each with different layouts and types of terrain to spice things up.

I picked this one because I've been watching and reading a lot of stuff about Famiclones and the surrounding culture and impact on gaming as a whole, lately, and figured that I'd give it a go because I'd like to scratch the maze-chase itch with a game that I've never played before.

I'll also be playing more of Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton) (of course ).

Here's Bomberman wearing a cosy festive outfit, since we're in the run-up to Christmas, now.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Arcade Game Series: Dig Dug (Proton)

Bomberman GB 2 (Game Boy)

Bomberman Wars (PSX)

Bombing Bastards (Native Linux)

Chop Goblins (Proton)

Crash Bandicoot 2 (Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy) (Proton)

Downwell (Proton)

Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Super Destronaut DX (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAt the half way mark and not much has changed…… Dick has a massive lead and is not far off lapping second placed man Jason Sulivan…… Who is had a very solitary race……. I hope the team are feeding my commentary into his earpiece so he can hear my golden tone to keep him awake…..
I was most amused to see the title of Most Bored Racer pass to Sulivan this week.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
I think that this is my favourite Grinch screenshot so far!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider2023 Advent Gaming Calendar

Its that time of year again……. I gave my lovely assistant a list of 40+ games I have never played before……. My assistant had the task of culling the list down to 25 games and putting them in order for the Gaming Advent Calendar……. And I have no idea what games made the cut and what order they are in……

Day 1
Behind door number 1 was……. Bomberman ‘94…….
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!……….
Heheheheheh.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe sounds are good and the music is great…….
This is the main reason why I recommended Bomberman '94, and didn't sub in Mega Bomberman instead - the English-language Mega Drive port has significantly worse audio and even outright changes some of the music, and also suffers from a lot of slowdown; It's still fine in its own right, but why compromise in this day and age?

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThough they have no idea what a kangaroo is…… A kangaroo doesnt walk and its not a lime green colour……..
Hahahaha!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts a good bit of fun…… And its nothing like you would see in a Video Games Awards Show these days…….. You know what they say…… A Bomberman game a day keeps the Dorito Pope away…….
YES! Keep fighting the good fight!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 1600 PES points out of 5000……….
Only 3400 to go.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you get if you cross Santa with a detective???….
A: Santa Clues…...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Hahahahaha! I loved this one!

Quoting: Arcadius-8606My wife and I got into Warframe. She's play via of her Nintendo Switch and I'm using GeForce Now. I don't want any of that game on my HDs.
Oh wow, I haven't heard Warframe mentioned in ages - I didn't even know that it was still going! I'm glad that you guys are getting on well with it.
StoneColdSpider Dec 3, 2023
Quoting: Arcadius-8606I'm quite excited for this weekend. It will be doing a lot of video gaming which is not normal.
Sounds like your going to have a good weekend mate....... Hope you enjoy it....

Quoting: PenglingI had originally intended to play Bomberman Wars (PlayStation) this weekend, but because strategy-RPGs are absolutely not my genre, I found that I simply didn't click with it and ended up getting bored.
Bored of Bomberman???......... IM SHOCKED!!! TOTALLY SHOCKED!!!.....

Quoting: PenglingFirst up is a rarity indeed! I ended up learning that there was a South Korean-exclusive English translation of Bomberman GB
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!!.......

Quoting: PenglingThis wonky, overly-literal, and occasionally unintentionally-hilarious translation is from a Korea-only Game Boy Colour-only compilation called Bomberman Selection
So its as bad as my typing???......

Quoting: PenglingMy second pick for this weekend is Battle City
When I read the title all I can think of is this........

Quoting: PenglingI'll also be playing more of Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton) (of course ).
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING (again)........

Quoting: Pengling
Here's Bomberman wearing a cosy festive outfit, since we're in the run-up to Christmas, now.
I made it better......

Every womans dream...... A festive robotic Dick....... Just dont ask where the batteries are inserted.......

Quoting: PenglingChop Goblins (Proton)
What even is that game???..... You will need to review that soon.....

Quoting: PenglingStardew Valley (Native Linux)
Trust you to go straight to the arcade machines.....

Quoting: PenglingI think that this is my favourite Grinch screenshot so far!
Glad you like it...... Next weeks will be good as well......

Quoting: PenglingHeheheheheh.
I had a funny feeling you would start the list with a Bomberman game...... Its like I know you......

Quoting: PenglingThis is the main reason why I recommended Bomberman '94, and didn't sub in Mega Bomberman instead - the English-language Mega Drive port has significantly worse audio and even outright changes some of the music, and also suffers from a lot of slowdown; It's still fine in its own right, but why compromise in this day and age?
I can see why...... Ive seen reviews of Mega Bomberman and yeah it seems to be lacking compared to the PC Engine game......

Quoting: PenglingYES! Keep fighting the good fight!
Any fight against our Evil Overlord Dorito Pope is a good fight.......

Quoting: PenglingOnly 3400 to go.
God this is going to take years......

Quoting: PenglingHahahahaha! I loved this one!
Glad you liked it....... Wait till the next joke......
Pengling Dec 5, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBored of Bomberman???......... IM SHOCKED!!! TOTALLY SHOCKED!!!.....
Bored by strategy-games. I didn't get along with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle back when I owned a Nintendo Switch, either.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!!.......

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSo its as bad as my typing???......
There's a lot of dots in it, funnily enough!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhen I read the title all I can think of is this........
I saw this one coming.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING (again)........
(Part 2.)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Quoting: Pengling
I made it better......

Every womans dream...... A festive robotic Dick....... Just dont ask where the batteries are inserted.......
Right mate, you're going straight to Robot Hell!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat even is that game???..... You will need to review that soon.....
It's a short retro-style first-person shooter. In 1984, the protagonist broke into a local museum for a laugh, and accidentally released the Chop Goblins from an old box that they'd been sealed in, resulting in them wreaking havoc across the city, before finding a way to travel through time and mess with that, as well!

It's got a neat (and subtle) VHS effect applied to the graphics, the enemies and the weapons are all quite silly and fun (I quite liked how the voice-clips are altered for the giant and cyborg goblins, with slowdown and a computerised effect, respectively), and it's only five well-designed levels long, so it doesn't outstay its welcome. It feels just right.

The music is really great, and strongly captures the vibe of 1990s tracker tunes. I particularly liked the tracks for Ancient Greece and The Future - they reminded me quite a bit of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 music.

My only quibble is that there's no option to save, since it's a short game to begin with. That's not going to be a problem for most people, but for folks like me who get motion-sickness from prolonged exposure to FPSes it's a bit of an issue. I had to keep putting my Steam Deck into sleep-mode and repeatedly return to the game throughout the course of a day in order to avoid getting queasy.

It celebrated its first anniversary just a few days ago, and received an update on the day, adding some new weapons and such.

I'd definitely recommend it, and it's really cheap, too. If you like retro FPSes (Doom, GoldenEye 007, that sort of thing), you'll most likely love it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderTrust you to go straight to the arcade machines.....
Hahahaha! I was thinking exactly that when I took the picture, too!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI had a funny feeling you would start the list with a Bomberman game...... Its like I know you......
(Part 3.)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI can see why...... Ive seen reviews of Mega Bomberman and yeah it seems to be lacking compared to the PC Engine game......
Yeah, it is. I mean, it's fine in isolation, and back when nobody knew that it was a downgraded port from another system the praise it got was well-deserved. But it still is a downgrade, so there's little reason to pick it now other than nostalgia or being a die-hard fan.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAny fight against our Evil Overlord Dorito Pope is a good fight.......
We'd best prepare as many colourful and fun titles as we can in order to withstand the forthcoming edition of The Godawful Awards!
BlackBloodRum Dec 6, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI made it better......

Nah, not festive enough.

This is more festive, and fitting for the theme

Pengling Dec 6, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumNah, not festive enough.

I think I'll stick with this one, thanks.

StoneColdSpider Dec 7, 2023
Quoting: PenglingBored by strategy-games. I didn't get along with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle back when I owned a Nintendo Switch, either.
Ew you owned a Nintendo Switch???...... I dont think we can be friends anymore.......

Quoting: PenglingThere's a lot of dots in it, funnily enough!
Stealing my trademark I see...... I better call Soul.......

Quoting: PenglingI saw this one coming.
It was a "City" joke wasnt it.......

Quoting: PenglingRight mate, you're going straight to Robot Hell!
No they sing in Robot Hell...... I hate singing.....

Quoting: PenglingIt's a short retro-style first-person shooter. In 1984, the protagonist broke into a local museum for a laugh, and accidentally released the Chop Goblins from an old box that they'd been sealed in, resulting in them wreaking havoc across the city, before finding a way to travel through time and mess with that, as well!

It's got a neat (and subtle) VHS effect applied to the graphics, the enemies and the weapons are all quite silly and fun (I quite liked how the voice-clips are altered for the giant and cyborg goblins, with slowdown and a computerised effect, respectively), and it's only five well-designed levels long, so it doesn't outstay its welcome. It feels just right.

The music is really great, and strongly captures the vibe of 1990s tracker tunes. I particularly liked the tracks for Ancient Greece and The Future - they reminded me quite a bit of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 music.

My only quibble is that there's no option to save, since it's a short game to begin with. That's not going to be a problem for most people, but for folks like me who get motion-sickness from prolonged exposure to FPSes it's a bit of an issue. I had to keep putting my Steam Deck into sleep-mode and repeatedly return to the game throughout the course of a day in order to avoid getting queasy.

It celebrated its first anniversary just a few days ago, and received an update on the day, adding some new weapons and such.

I'd definitely recommend it, and it's really cheap, too. If you like retro FPSes (Doom, GoldenEye 007, that sort of thing), you'll most likely love it.
Sounds interesting thanks for the review..... Might add that to the ol wishlist......

Quoting: PenglingHahahaha! I was thinking exactly that when I took the picture, too!
You can take the girl out of the 80's....... But you cant take the 80's out of the girl........

Quoting: PenglingYeah, it is. I mean, it's fine in isolation, and back when nobody knew that it was a downgraded port from another system the praise it got was well-deserved. But it still is a downgrade, so there's little reason to pick it now other than nostalgia or being a die-hard fan.
Unless you need it for........ CONSOLE WAAAAAAAAAAAAARS!!!!!.......

Quoting: PenglingWe'd best prepare as many colourful and fun titles as we can in order to withstand the forthcoming edition of The Godawful Awards!
Thats why I mostly play old colourful games....... Its amazing how we have so much graphical power now but yet theres no colour.......

Quoting: BlackBloodRumNah, not festive enough.

Thats a festive ol Saint Nick........ Mine is a festive ol Robotic Dick........

Quoting: PenglingI think I'll stick with this one, thanks.

I mean its nice and all....... But where are the willy physics???.......
Pengling Dec 7, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderEw you owned a Nintendo Switch???...... I dont think we can be friends anymore.......
Hahahaha.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSounds interesting thanks for the review..... Might add that to the ol wishlist......
I'm pretty sure you'd love it - it's sort of like Doom crossed with silly retro humour like Gremlins.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThats why I mostly play old colourful games....... Its amazing how we have so much graphical power now but yet theres no colour.......
Y'know, it really is...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThats a festive ol Saint Nick........ Mine is a festive ol Robotic Dick........
You're a poet and you didn't realise...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI mean its nice and all....... But where are the willy physics???.......
Liam has a lot to answer for, for posting that article!
StoneColdSpider Dec 8, 2023
Quoting: PenglingI'm pretty sure you'd love it - it's sort of like Doom crossed with silly retro humour like Gremlins.
Sounds good.... added it to my wishlist.......

Quoting: PenglingY'know, it really is...
Its sad isnt it......
We might as well go back to black and white TVs at this rate........

Quoting: PenglingYou're a poet and you didn't realise...
I honestly didnt realise that it rhymed.......

Quoting: PenglingLiam has a lot to answer for, for posting that article!
He has given me lots of material......... lots........
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.