Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Hate Plus Spans Across Both Monitors
PublicNuisance Dec 2, 2023
I just booted up the visual novel "Hate Plus" on two of my systems, both of which are dual monitor systems, and find that the game spans across both monitors on both. Is there any way to get it to limit itself to one screen ? I guess I could turn one monitor off while playing but that seems a pain to do just when playing one game. I was hoping that there is a setting in a config file or something that would do the trick.

My System Info 1

Linux Distribution: Solus
Desktop Environment: Mate 1.27
Graphics Card: XFX RX 590 8GB
GPU Driver Version: Mesa 23.2.1

My System Info 2

Linux Distribution: Trisquel 11
Desktop Environment: Mate 1.26
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 780 Ti 3GB
GPU Driver Version: Nouveau/Mesa 23.0.4

Both systems are up to date.

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here

Simply run the game on a dual monitor system.
BlackBloodRum Dec 2, 2023
Is this a native game, steam game, or other sourced windows game?

As a random guess, you can configure and enable "virtual desktop" to match that of just one of your monitors, this will make the game only see that resolution, so when it launches it will simply open to that size, on your current monitor (one with cursor currently only it).

If it's a native game, and happens to be using unity, you might find options in ~/.config/unity3d/(studio)/(gamename)/prefs - you should be able to configure it to use only one monitor there.
PublicNuisance Dec 2, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumIs this a native game, steam game, or other sourced windows game?

As a random guess, you can configure and enable "virtual desktop" to match that of just one of your monitors, this will make the game only see that resolution, so when it launches it will simply open to that size, on your current monitor (one with cursor currently only it).

If it's a native game, and happens to be using unity, you might find options in ~/.config/unity3d/(studio)/(gamename)/prefs - you should be able to configure it to use only one monitor there.

It's a native Linux game that is made using the FOSS Ren'Py engine.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 2 December 2023 at 2:54 am UTC
BlackBloodRum Dec 2, 2023
In which case, I'm not sure! I haven't used any games with that engine as I generally don't play that type of game.

This bug report may help you find the games save data, which may (or may not?) help:
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/1377

If it has an editable configuration file, you may be able to tweak it. But beyond that, I'm not sure. (You beat me )

With that said, I see a familiar name on that bug report, who is a GOL user also. So they may be able to help, once they see this thread.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
whizse Dec 2, 2023
gamescope might be worth a try. It's usually the go to solution for wrangling misbehaving games.
PublicNuisance Dec 6, 2023
I found a workaround I can live with. I turned off the second monitor temporarily; ran the game; switched to Windowed mode; and turned the second monitor back on. This way I don't have to fiddle with monitors each time I play.

Quoting: whizsegamescope might be worth a try. It's usually the go to solution for wrangling misbehaving games.

I hadn't heard of Gamescope before but I may give it a try.
sonic2kk Dec 6, 2023
This is a semi-common issue with native games (World of Goo used to do this, native Euro Truck Simulator 2 does this, and I remember one renPy game doing it but I can't remember which one it was now).

Anyway, Gamescope is great for fixing these issues, if you don't mind the extra overhead that can come with it. Almost definitely not a problem for a VN, but for some games it can introduce noticeable stutter when running in nested mode (i.e. not as a separate desktop session but as a window inside of a desktop environment), particularly with XWayland.

It should also be noted that Gamescope and Nvidia can oftentimes have trouble, with things not working correctly or breaking after an Nvidia driver update (though it looks like you're using Nouveau, this is just a general here-be-dragons). Be sure to check the issue tracker if you run into trouble, people are usually blazing fast at reporting issues in general (talking minutes after a commit fast).

Last edited by sonic2kk on 6 December 2023 at 9:49 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.