Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
3dMark Steel Nomad to support Linux, kind of?
jonorok Dec 21, 2023
https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/introducing-3dmark-steel-nomad-the-successor-to-3dmark-time-spy

https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/3dmark-steel-nomad-will-be-free-for-all-3dmark-users

I enjoy competitive benchmarking and have a few top or legendary scores (with specific hardware limitations) in Timespy and Firestrike, and I saw this in the patch notes that the new free benchmark update (dlc) Steel Nomad would include Linux and macos via Vulkan. It's set to be released in 2024, with Linux support coming "later."

Quote3DMark Steel Nomad will launch in the first quarter of next year for devices running Windows and Windows-on-Arm on Steam, the Epic Games Store, or direct from UL Solutions. Steel Nomad and Steel Nomad Light for macOS and Linux, and Steel Nomad Light for Android and iOS devices, will launch later in 2024.

QuoteSteel Nomad will be our most demanding non-ray-tracing benchmark and will not only support Windows using DirectX 12, but also macOS and iOS using Metal, Android using Vulkan, and Linux using Vulkan for Enterprise and reviewers.

I am super stoked for this, even if I'm a little worried about the caveat "and Linux using Vulkan for Enterprise and reviewers." I'm not actually sure what that means. But there's no reason the launcher wouldn't finally run on Linux, right? Right?

QuoteSteel Nomad will be our recommended benchmark for measuring the non-raytraced gaming performance of high-end computers running Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Anyway, I've been a Linux gamer for years, and I still keep a trimmed up windows 10 install just because of 3dMark. And I think I've logged 50 hours in 3dmark on steam just trying to get it running on Linux. Any real benchmark is run without networking, because, you know, windows updates.
Trias Dec 24, 2023
Very interesting piece of news, thanks! :).

Also,
Quoting: jonorokBut there's no reason the launcher wouldn't finally run on Linux, right? Right?

Quoting: jonorokAnd I think I've logged 50 hours in 3dmark on steam just trying to get it running on Linux.

Well, if you didn't try to do it for some time - nowadays launcher works in Proton OotB, and some tests like Fire Strike and Night Raid work OotB also. Even Time Spy is launchable with some shenanigans (and great performance hit).

jonorok Jan 21
Interesting. Thanks for the update. I did manage to get firestrike running on my Steamdeck. I see I am a bit behind the times as the reddit threads are a year old. :)

Launcher is mostly functional, but you have to edit in your license codes (if you have them), system_info of course, fails.

I also had to use steam menus to download the individual tests as "dlc". Manually ticking the box actually got the tests to download.

Steamdeck gets a firestrike 3001-3024 after about a dozen runs. I guess I'll have to get my desktop going and compare the hardware to my windows results.
jonorok Jan 28
Well, here are back to back runs on my desktop. 23479 vs 29549, Pop! 22.04 vs Windows10. Still quite the disparity.

Linux vs Windows in Firestrike

How did you manage to get Time Spy to run? I have a 2 year old at home so though I did try searching I can't tell if I didn't find anything or if I just got distracted again.
Trias Jan 29
Quoting: jonorokHow did you manage to get Time Spy to run? I have a 2 year old at home so though I did try searching I can't tell if I didn't find anything or if I just got distracted again.

Hello.

Not sure what you already did, so I tryed to write a short guide from the beginning. Hope I remember everything, it was some time ago… Anyway:

1) You need to install 3dmark and run it (launch a test) at least once.

With Proton 8.0-4 or higher launcher and common Fire Strike test should just run OotB.

2) If 3dmark launched as Advanced Edition, ignore this step. If it’s recognized as Basic Edition:

• 2a) Right click on 3dmark in Steam, go Manage > CD Keys.

• 2b) Copy your “3dmark Advanced” key. (Just left click on it).

• 2c) Find your 3dmark prefix. (Steam id 223850, path depends on where you installed it. For example it can be /home/[username]/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/223850/pfx/).

• 2d) Edit user.reg file in pfx folder. Find a part “[Software\\UL\\3DMark] _something_ #time=_something_ “InstallId”=”_something_””

• 2e) After “InstallId”=”_something_” add a line "KeyCode"="_your 3dmark Advanced key_", and save file.

That should give you access to all tests you payed for, but you would need to install them all manually from the launcher. All three Fire Strike tests should work now.

3) Getting Time Spy test to run is possible, but require some more shenanigans, including launch options that greatly reduce performance…

• 3a) You need to install protontricks (from flatpak or somewhere else) and use it to install Windows’ d3dcompiler_43 and d3dcompiler_47 dll’s into 3dmark prefix.

This will let you to launch Time Spy test, but it will hang (and hung the whole system) shortly after.

• 3b) To avoid the hang you need to add RADV_DEBUG=hang %command% _OR_ RADV_DEBUG=syncshaders %command% launch option to Steam.

This will let you to finally run Time Spy, but will also greatly (20+ %)(!) reduce performance of all(!!!) 3dmark tests. So you basically need to add and remove those launch options (and restart 3dmark) depending on what test you want to launch…

P. S. I think RADV_DEBUG=hang was a bit better than RADV_DEBUG=syncshaders, but it’s still a big hit. :(.
slaapliedje Jan 29
Quoting: jonorokWell, here are back to back runs on my desktop. 23479 vs 29549, Pop! 22.04 vs Windows10. Still quite the disparity.

Linux vs Windows in Firestrike

How did you manage to get Time Spy to run? I have a 2 year old at home so though I did try searching I can't tell if I didn't find anything or if I just got distracted again.
At lest you have a 2 year old to blame on distracting you. I don't even have that and just get distracted by the most random of things.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.