You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
4k Bluray with MakeMKV and VLC and menus works on Linux!
slaapliedje Dec 27, 2023
I was able to get 4k blurays to work (well, only tested Return of the Jedi so far) on Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jho_lc7OS9Y This video shows how to flash the firmware and which bluray drives to pick up. I fortunately already had the ASUS one, as it was on a list of drives that could read PS3 game disks, which gives you a double reason if you have PS3 games you'd like to use on emulators!

After flashing this, there was some back and forth on trying to get VLC on Windows to support the menus with java, but it just worked out of the box on Debian. The biggest pain on Windows was of course that you'd be on the Java download site that said you were downloading the 64bit version, but it was the 32bit version...

Anyhow, all I needed to do was get makemkv (I've had a registered license for it for ages, it won't work with the sandboxed flatpak version, so download and compile / install it), then install the openjdk-8-jre package (debian based) and VLC. After that, you should be able to play 4k movies with menus in Linux.
whizse Dec 27, 2023
I actually have the same Asus unit. Bought it solely on your recommendation!

Never cared much for menus on DVD on Blu-Ray but it is good to know that it finally works. I might give it a go just for shit and giggles!
slaapliedje Dec 27, 2023
Quoting: whizseI actually have the same Asus unit. Bought it solely on your recommendation!

Never cared much for menus on DVD on Blu-Ray but it is good to know that it finally works. I might give it a go just for shit and giggles!
I did find there is something funky with the drive, where it will sort of struggle to read the disk until you eject and re-insert it. Seems to be worse under Windows than Linux.
pleasereadthemanual Dec 28, 2023
MakeMKV is great. I've found that the subtitles aren't properly embedded in the video afterward, though; or only VLC works and mpv doesn't.
Linux_Rocks Dec 28, 2023
I flashed my LG USB 4K Blu-ray reader/Blu-ray burner with MakeMKV firmware. It's great, cause now I can rip my 4K Blu-ray discs.

Funny thing with that drive though is that Micro Center gave me that more expensive one a couple years ago with my in-store pick-up order. I actually ordered the cheaper LG non-4K one. But the stock must've been wrong on the website, and the worker there probably didn't give a shit and just grabbed that one. I knew right away what I got, and didn't say a word and left. It was awesome. lol
tuubi Dec 29, 2023
Quoting: pleasereadthemanualMakeMKV is great. I've found that the subtitles aren't properly embedded in the video afterward, though; or only VLC works and mpv doesn't.
Maybe it sets some headers/metadata incorrectly? Should be easy enough to fix with MKVToolnix GUI.
slaapliedje Dec 29, 2023
Quoting: Linux_RocksI flashed my LG USB 4K Blu-ray reader/Blu-ray burner with MakeMKV firmware. It's great, cause now I can rip my 4K Blu-ray discs.

Funny thing with that drive though is that Micro Center gave me that more expensive one a couple years ago with my in-store pick-up order. I actually ordered the cheaper LG non-4K one. But the stock must've been wrong on the website, and the worker there probably didn't give a shit and just grabbed that one. I knew right away what I got, and didn't say a word and left. It was awesome. lol
Ha, like the time Incredible Universe was having a going out of business sale, and the cashier forgot a 0 when inputting the price for Rayman on the Atari Jaguar. Got it for a dollar instead of 10.

On the flipside of that; ordered a dock last night for my FoundryVTT table and it never showed up, but was marked as delivered... not even a car drove down my street all morning, so it couldn't have been just dropped off at a neighbors... Of course Amazon said I can't really whine that it hasn't shown up yet until Monday...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.