Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Which are your favourite games on ScummVM?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
New to that era of gaming (except maybe Lode Runner). What are some good titles?
Broken Sword 1 and 2
The longest Journey
The Monkey Island series (I recommend the Ultimate Talkie Edition mod for the first two)
Older games tend to look nicer if you apply a ctr-lookalike shader via scummvm options
Pengling Jan 3
Not my genre so I've not played it personally, but I've heard very good things about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!
whizse Jan 3
(Pointless nitpicking: I'm not sure if era is the right word here. The games supported by ScummVM spans something like 40 years.)

Anyhow, I love adventure games, so too many to list. The Broken Sword series have always been a favorite but if I was to pick more of an outlier I'd go with Toonstruck.

I always hated the whole greenscreen/FMV/famous actor bits in video games and assumed it would be terrible. Turned out I was dead wrong. I loved every bit of it. It's well written, well acted, well voiced, really funny with rewarding gameplay.

Would never have bothered trying it if it wasn't supported by ScummVM.
My two go to ScummVM games are.....
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Jones In The Fast Lane

There is also the very good......
Blade Runner

And since im an Aussie I am obligated to mention......
Beneath A Steel Sky
mylka Jan 4
i recently played the fan made game Broken Sword 2.5 with scumm
kaiman Jan 4
Can't go wrong with most games from Lucasfilm/LucasArts; after all, those were the ones originally using an interpreter called SCUMM. Though I guess some aged better than others. Those I'd recommend, in no particular order and not taking into account that some were already mentioned above:

- Loom
- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle
- Sam & Max Hit the Road
- The Dig

You also might want to try Full Throttle, but that one in particular wasn't my cup of tea due to its theme (and the visual style).

I guess there's nothing wrong with the older games either, except they are not as easy on the eye and more difficult, with dead ends and deaths:

- Maniac Mansion
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Then again, maybe you should reserve all those I mentioned for last and start with something completely different, as it won't get any better than that, IMO :-).
whizse Jan 4
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderJones In The Fast Lane
Never heard of that one, now I'm jonesing to try it!
Shmerl Jan 4
* The Neverhood
* Loom
* Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Quoting: PenglingNot my genre so I've not played it personally, but I've heard very good things about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!

It's a good one!

Last edited by Shmerl on 4 January 2024 at 11:27 pm UTC
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderJones In The Fast Lane
Never heard of that one, now I'm jonesing to try it!
Most people havnt thats why I always like to throw it in when talking about ScummVM games......

It is really good..... It use to be a bit of a fiddle to get the voices to work in the game....... That required removing or renaming the "cdaudio.map" file....... I dont know if thats still an issue now though as I just keep the cdaudio.map file out of the folder and just play with the low quality voices.........

Theres also a spiritual sequel of sorts on steam called No Time To Relax which plays almost identically to Jones In The Fast Lane........
redman Jan 6
I grow up playing adventure games on a lot of floppy disks and later on CD (what a game changer!), my list of playing:

• The Secret of Monkey Island

• Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

• The Curse of Monkey Island

• Broken Sword

• Full Throttle

• Sam & Max Hit the Road

As you can see most of them are from LucasArts.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.