Steam acheivments unlocking without playing
TangoBaker Jan 17
Anyone else have this? Every couple of says I'll see a notification that I've unlocked some achievement in a game, which is fine but it's generally a game that I'm not playing. Also, it's usually some really advanced or rare achievement that a very low percentage of people have. Most of them are things like here's one for completing the game, which I have somehow managed to get without even finishing the first level. It seems to be happening to me a lot, like once a day at least.

Only thing I've ever seen like it would be with Arkham City. I played all the way through and then one day, long after I had stopped playing, every achievement in the game triggered all at once.
damarrin Jan 17
There are people who would kill for this.
Zlopez Jan 17
  • Supporter Plus
I would say that this is some kind of bug either in the games that you get achievements for or in the steam client. In every case this shouldn't happen.
whizse Jan 17
Some Googling unearths quite a few reports of similar issues over the years so I would also assume some sort of hiccup on the Steam servers. If it doesn't stop and becomes annoying you should probably contact Steam support though.

You can reset the achievements that have been unlocked by mistake if you care about that sort of thing.
TangoBaker Jan 18
I wouldn't say it annoys me. In fact it went on a long time before I noticed it. I'm not exactly a big achievement hunter. Just wondered how widespread it is. Started to report it to Valve first but I'm kind of afraid they'll accuse me of something nefarious somehow.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.