Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Weekend Players' Club 3/1/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….. Its another Saturday here right now…….……

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Arcade

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994 Capcom) - Fighting

Console

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)
International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NBA Courtside 2 Featuring Kobe Bryant (1999 Nintendo) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1995 Acclaim) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Resident Evil 2 (1999 Capcom) - Nintendo 64 - Survival Horror
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version (1998 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation - Survival Horror
Super Bowling (1999 Athena) - Nintnedo 64 - Sports (Bowling)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

PC

art of rally (2020 Funselektor Labs) - Steam - Sports (Racing)
SRX: The Game (2021 Monster Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version…...

Nothing sus about wearing sunglasses outdoors…… At night…….

The graphics….. For PlayStation 1 the graphics are really nice…… The prerendered background work very well and help to ease the strain on the system…….. The player models are done well enough and the enemy models are also well done and look really nice for the most part…….

The lighting is also very well done and adds to the tension the game is going for…..

The sounds……. Again for the most part the sounds are great…… There is not a lot of music but what is there is very well done……. The sound effects are very nice…… Guns shots might be on the weaker side…… The voice acting is……. There…….. Its rather crap but I think its adds to the B movie feel…...

The controls……... Tank controls….. I found them to be find except for the very few occasions that require quick and precise movement…. Which thankfully arnt many at all…...

The storyline....... April O’Neil has been kidnapped and its held captive in an old mansion and its up to the Ninja Turtles to res.……… Hang on….. Wrong storyline…….. *shuffles papers*……. S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team is on a mission when engine problem with the helicopter force to land near Spencer Mansion…… After losing contact with Bravo Team….. Alpha Team is mobilised to find Bravo team……

Upon arrival at the last known location of Bravo Team……. Alpha Team is set upon by strange creatures…… And are forced to seek refuge in Spencer Mansion………

Can Alpha Team survive to tell the tale on what happened to Bravo Team???……. Will the strange creatures do to them what they did to Bravo Team???…… Will Alpha Team be betrayed by a spy within their own ranks….. Could it possibly be the shady out of place looking character wearing the sunglasses at night???……..

The gameplay…… While the game was inspired by Sweet Home it also takes a lot of inspiration from Alone In The Dark…... And its very evident when playing….. The fixed camera angles add to the tension of the game…… They have been very deliberately placed so it constantly feels like there is a creature just off screen waiting to get you…….

The gameplay itself is very simple….. Search through Spencer Mansion and surrounding areas solving puzzles to get keys and other quest items to unlock more rooms and areas to explore…… Rinse and repeat till the game ends……

Its not a bad gameplay loop and your reward for solving puzzles is the promise of unlocking new areas to explore and even new enemies to fight or flight from……. While being trickle fed the story through notes, reports, slides and other means scattered throughout the rather large (for the time) game world……..

Overall…… This is a excellent and well crafted gaming experience that does exactly what it sets out to do very very well……. I know most people have already played Resident Evil to death….. But if you havnt…… Then you need to…… Its a fantastic game and really shows just how much Capcom have fallen over the past few years…….

And that is why my final score for Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version is a sunglasses wearing scientist out of 10……...

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version……...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 3450 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

MR BEAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)

NBA Courtside 2 Featuring Kobe Bryant (1999 Nintendo) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Basketball)

SRX: The Game (2021 Monster Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

art of rally (2020 Funselektor Labs) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
I made a website for orphans…… It doesnt have a homepage…….
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Mar 2

On Sunday, March 3rd, it will be seven years since Super Bomberman R was released, and therefore that is my pick for this weekend.

It was originally released as a timed exclusive launch-title for the Nintendo Switch all the way back in 2017, and then got a big freebie update adding an extra world to the story-mode and a new multiplayer mode for its 1st anniversary in 2018 (which was also baked into the multi-platform version that was released on the same day). The Nintendo Switch and its library ended up being a big series of disappointments for me that ultimately led me to the conclusion that my entertainment money was better spent elsewhere, but Super Bomberman R was one of the three bright-spots for me during my entire time with the console (those being this game, its big final update in 2018, and Kirby Star Allies), and it remains one of my favourite games in the Bomberman series to this day. I can remember the excitement surrounding this one like it was yesterday, with its existence actually being leaked a day before it was officially revealed, via someone claiming to be part of the staff setting up a pre-launch Switch hands-on event in Paris - something which proved to be absolutely true, much to my joy and delight.

Super Bomberman R also marks the only time in gaming history that I can remember a franchise being saved by a buyout, with Konami having absorbed Hudson Soft five years earlier, in 2012.

The game sees Bomberman and his family return to once again save the universe from the series' most persistent villain, Buggler - who, during his time, has gone from Professor to Lord to (in this one) Emperor - along with his henchmen, the Five Dastardly Bombers. The siblings' quest takes an unexpected turn when they discover that there's more to one of the Five than meets the eye, so there's more at stake than just the universe - no pressure! The whole game is bright and optimistic, and even its darker moments have positive outcomes - it was and remains a very welcome breath of fresh air compared to a lot of what modern gaming offers.

And just what does the "R" stand for, you ask? Three things: "Rangers", since the (utterly adorable) Bomberman family takes that role when on hero-business in the games, as well as "Return" and "Reborn", to mark the Bomberman series being brought back. Interestingly, since Super Bomberman R is actually the sixth Super Bomberman title, it can also (probably unofficially) be taken to stand for "Roku", which is the Japanese word for the number 6.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomberman GB (Bomberman Selection ) (GBC)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers (N64)

Doraemon - Nobita to 3tsu no Seireiseki (N64)

GB Rober (Proton)

Orebody: Binder's Tale (Proton)

SegaSonic The Hedgehog (Arcade)

Sonic The Hedgehog (Game Gear)

Spelunky (Proton)

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)

Super Bomberman 5 (SNES)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

SuperTux (Native Linux)

Yeah Yeah Beebiss II (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderResident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version…...

Nothing sus about wearing sunglasses outdoors…… At night…….

The graphics….. For PlayStation 1 the graphics are really nice…… The prerendered background work very well and help to ease the strain on the system…….. The player models are done well enough and the enemy models are also well done and look really nice for the most part…….

The lighting is also very well done and adds to the tension the game is going for…..

The sounds……. Again for the most part the sounds are great…… There is not a lot of music but what is there is very well done……. The sound effects are very nice…… Guns shots might be on the weaker side…… The voice acting is……. There…….. Its rather crap but I think its adds to the B movie feel…...

The controls……... Tank controls….. I found them to be find except for the very few occasions that require quick and precise movement…. Which thankfully arnt many at all…...

The storyline....... April O’Neil has been kidnapped and its held captive in an old mansion and its up to the Ninja Turtles to res.……… Hang on….. Wrong storyline…….. *shuffles papers*……. S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team is on a mission when engine problem with the helicopter force to land near Spencer Mansion…… After losing contact with Bravo Team….. Alpha Team is mobilised to find Bravo team……

Upon arrival at the last known location of Bravo Team……. Alpha Team is set upon by strange creatures…… And are forced to seek refuge in Spencer Mansion………

Can Alpha Team survive to tell the tale on what happened to Bravo Team???……. Will the strange creatures do to them what they did to Bravo Team???…… Will Alpha Team be betrayed by a spy within their own ranks….. Could it possibly be the shady out of place looking character wearing the sunglasses at night???……..

The gameplay…… While the game was inspired by Sweet Home it also takes a lot of inspiration from Alone In The Dark…... And its very evident when playing….. The fixed camera angles add to the tension of the game…… They have been very deliberately placed so it constantly feels like there is a creature just off screen waiting to get you…….

The gameplay itself is very simple….. Search through Spencer Mansion and surrounding areas solving puzzles to get keys and other quest items to unlock more rooms and areas to explore…… Rinse and repeat till the game ends……

Its not a bad gameplay loop and your reward for solving puzzles is the promise of unlocking new areas to explore and even new enemies to fight or flight from……. While being trickle fed the story through notes, reports, slides and other means scattered throughout the rather large (for the time) game world……..

Overall…… This is a excellent and well crafted gaming experience that does exactly what it sets out to do very very well……. I know most people have already played Resident Evil to death….. But if you havnt…… Then you need to…… Its a fantastic game and really shows just how much Capcom have fallen over the past few years…….

And that is why my final score for Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version is a sunglasses wearing scientist out of 10……...

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version……...
An excellent review! It's very interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who didn't play the game in its day, thus isn't affected by the hype that surrounded it at the time.

Also, there's the truly crazy story about the Dual Shock Version that everyone must read - the one about clowns farting in the basement.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
MR BEAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Impostor! That's not Zangief!

Last edited by Pengling on 2 March 2024 at 6:47 am UTC
Quoting: Pengling
On Sunday, March 3rd, it will be seven years since Super Bomberman R was released, and therefore that is my pick for this weekend.
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING..... Part 1.......

Quoting: PenglingSuper Bomberman R also marks the only time in gaming history that I can remember a franchise being saved by a buyout, with Konami having absorbed Hudson Soft five years earlier, in 2012.
Just wait till you see how Microsoft saves all the Activision and Blizzard IPs after their buyout!.......

The game sees Bomberman and his family return to once again save the universe from the series' most persistent villain, Buggler
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING...... Part 2.......

Quoting: PenglingAnd just what does the "R" stand for, you ask?
I never asked that question.......

Bomberman GB (Bomberman Selection ) (GBC)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING........ Part 3.......

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
Now that is one big pile of shit.....

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers (N64)
How are the bad laggy controls???.....

Doraemon - Nobita to 3tsu no Seireiseki (N64)
That is one derpy looking cat thing......

GB Rober (Proton)
More robots..... Maybe play with some Dinosaurs next time.....

Orebody: Binder's Tale (Proton)
I thought was going to end very differently......

SegaSonic The Hedgehog (Arcade)

Sonic The Hedgehog (Game Gear)
I still dont get how Sanic has such a popular following with his lackluster game collection.......

Spelunky (Proton)
You play so many games with bombs in them im sure your on some government watchlist.......

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING..... Part 4.......

Super Bomberman 5 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING....... Part 5...

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING... Part 6.......

SuperTux (Native Linux)
How super is he???.....

Yeah Yeah Beebiss II (Proton)
Ooooooo Chinese jumping vampires...... Finally something different....

Quoting: PenglingAn excellent review! It's very interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who didn't play the game in its day, thus isn't affected by the hype that surrounded it at the time.

Also, there's the truly crazy story about the Dual Shock Version that everyone must read - the one about clowns farting in the basement.
Yeah I forgot to mention in my review that I have never played any RE game before and ive gone in almost completely blind......

As for the clowns farting music I honestly didnt notice it much probably because ive never played RE before so I never noticed the different music......

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I figured you would like that one being British.....

Quoting: PenglingImpostor! That's not Zangief!
Your right you know..... That is Mikhail Gorbachev...... Former leader of the great Soviet Union......
Pengling Mar 4
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING..... Part 1.......

I just finished it. I still love Super Bomberman R, though it remains a pity that the PC port is quite unstable - it's still crashy even though Proton has now been fixed up to run it properly, but that's not a Proton issue and is unfortunately just the correct and expected behaviour. Luckily they fixed up those issues for R Online and R 2!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING...... Part 2.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING........ Part 3.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING..... Part 4.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING....... Part 5...
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING... Part 6.......
It's a new record!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderJust wait till you see how Microsoft saves all the Activision and Blizzard IPs after their buyout!.......
Yeah, those claims worked out well, didn't they? How much of the company was gutted and how many layoffs happened, again?

Really, it's vanishingly rare for a franchise to survive a buyout. Even seven years later, I'm still amazed that Bomberman made it through and has gotten new games fairly regularly ever since (though nowhere near as much as in the series' heyday) - we're at four and counting so far (Super Bomberman R, Super Bomberman R Online, Amazing Bomberman, and Super Bomberman R 2), and all of them try to continue the series without really leaning on nostalgia, which I've got a lot of respect for.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI never asked that question.......
I'm sure that somebody did.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow that is one big pile of shit.....
Hahahaha!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHow are the bad laggy controls???.....
Perfectly responsive and not bad or laggy at all! That reviewer must have a duff controller or an HD TV with poor response-times.

I noticed that another of their reviews mentioned that the N64 was "notorious" for having unresponsive and imprecise controllers, which simply isn't true at all - they were THE most precise by far in their day, and when reconditioned, due to using optical discs instead of potentiometers, but the problem is the way that they age when the plastics wear down.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThat is one derpy looking cat thing......
Ah, Doraemon's great - and a proud member of my robot army, being one of my lifelong favourite robot characters aside from Bomberman.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderMore robots..... Maybe play with some Dinosaurs next time.....
You're not an anti-robot dinosaurist like the Dinos vs. Robots Fest was, are you?!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI thought was going to end very differently......
Aw man, this game had a really sad ending!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI still dont get how Sanic has such a popular following with his lackluster game collection.......
Me either, to be honest. It's quite remarkable how much goodwill a few solid games from decades ago can generate even as a series keeps sliding into mediocrity! It seems that people will let off any of the modern Sonic titles for that reason.

Though, that doesn't explain why people keep bandwagon-jumping to bash the current Bomberman games for incredibly daft reasons like "The voice-actors aren't famous enough." (never mind the fact that they actually are, and the reasoning for that complaint is so utterly silly that you wouldn't believe it even if I told you). Where's the goodwill gone there, exactly? Gamers aren't consistent, clearly.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYou play so many games with bombs in them im sure your on some government watchlist.......
HAHAHAHA! I have no control over the fact that so many games use cartoon explosives as weaponary and tools!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHow super is he???.....
Pretty super. It's a pity that the game's not finished yet, though!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOoooooo Chinese jumping vampires...... Finally something different....
And this game has such an excellent reason for existing, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYeah I forgot to mention in my review that I have never played any RE game before and ive gone in almost completely blind......
And it just goes to show, age doesn't change the fact that a game's still good, even though quite a lot of people try to act like it does.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAs for the clowns farting music I honestly didnt notice it much probably because ive never played RE before so I never noticed the different music......
Yeah, without the context of the time it's nowhere near as noticeable, to be fair. Usually a revised edition of a game is aimed at bringing in new audiences, but the Resident Evil series' Director's Cuts were usually aimed at people who had already played the original releases to death and wanted more, so the differences were much more pronounced for the target audience.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI figured you would like that one being British.....
Yep!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYour right you know..... That is Mikhail Gorbachev...... Former leader of the great Soviet Union......
Yeah, I know. They made multiple games about him, too.

Last edited by Pengling on 4 March 2024 at 7:33 am UTC
Mezron Mar 4
Lots of L4D2 offline gaming Saturday night. Had some friends over and we rocked some of the fan made RE3 maps. It was a lot of fun. I was sadden to learn the serverbrowse is no longer a thing on L4D2 so that will prevent me from going online with it ever as I prefer to go to specfic servers vs quickmatching.

If anyone knows a way to bring up the server browser, let me know.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.