Nintendo-style gaming, without Nintendo!
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
skinmarquee Mar 11
My game - Dog-O donationware

JRPG with an action battle system. It takes maybe 2 hours to play but there is some replay value in finding all the belts and learning all the moves.

Another Nintendo style game I have is Tower To Heaven, I made it as a casual/arcade JRPG

whizse Mar 26
I'm getting slightly ahead of myself here since the game isn't released yet but I just finished the excellent Inspector Waffles and noticed that the announced sequel belongs here. It releases not just on PC but on Gameboy and Gameboy Color!

Inspector Waffles Early Days (PC, GB, GBA)

I guess technically it's a combination de-make and prequel. Taking place before the events in the original Inspector Waffles (but not going back as far as to kittengarten!). Very cool project!
@whizse, you've reminded me that some of the new indie/homebrew retro games are getting released on Steam as well. Goodboy Galaxy is an excellent puzzle metroidvania, it's been released for the Game Boy Advance already but is getting a Steam release later this year. It would have been a top-tier GBA game when the system was current, it's great.
Pengling Mar 27
Top stuff guys - thanks so much for adding more games! Keep 'em coming!

Quoting: ChuckaluphagusGoodboy Galaxy is an excellent puzzle metroidvania, it's been released for the Game Boy Advance already but is getting a Steam release later this year.
It's also available for the Evercade, which is a Linux-based cartridge-driven console platform.

Last edited by Pengling on 27 March 2024 at 1:28 pm UTC
Linux_Rocks Mar 27
Quoting: whizseI'm getting slightly ahead of myself here since the game isn't released yet but I just finished the excellent Inspector Waffles and noticed that the announced sequel belongs here. It releases not just on PC but on Gameboy and Gameboy Color!

Inspector Waffles Early Days (PC, GB, GBA)

I guess technically it's a combination de-make and prequel. Taking place before the events in the original Inspector Waffles (but not going back as far as to kittengarten!). Very cool project!
Quoting: Chuckaluphagus@whizse, you've reminded me that some of the new indie/homebrew retro games are getting released on Steam as well. Goodboy Galaxy is an excellent puzzle metroidvania, it's been released for the Game Boy Advance already but is getting a Steam release later this year. It would have been a top-tier GBA game when the system was current, it's great.
I sure do hope that the Inspector Waffles prequel comes with the GameBoy Color ROM in its Steam release. Goodboy Galaxy won't iirc, and it's always really super annoying when games don't also include the ROM with their Steam releases. D:

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 27 March 2024 at 11:00 pm UTC
Pengling Apr 5
I've got an excellent contribution from Mrowl over in a news-comment. (I've split it up to prevent the forum from shrinking the quotes.)

Quoting: MrowlYes, I have 2 games, you should definitely add to the list:
Quoting: MrowlThe first is Palworld. It bears so much similarity to Pokémon that Nintendo and the Pokémon company were investigating a possible lawsuit.

The general idea is that it's "Pokémon with guns" and it's basically an open world survival game, like Ark and Rust, etc. So quite different from Pokémon, but still features "cute" monsters that you help you fight, etc.
Quoting: MrowlIt has already sold 25 million+, mostly on Steam, but it's also on Xbox and coming to more platforms.

It's the first truly objective sign that a Pokémon style game can be a massive success outside of Nintendo hardware in today's era. It also runs okay'ish (about 30fps) on Steam Deck.
Quoting: MrowlThe next is also a Pokémon-like, though we've heard very little on its development for the past 3-4 years. It's being developed by Pearl Abyss, the team behind Black Desert Online, so I don't think it's vapourware just yet.

It was one of the most talked about trailers of GamesCom 2021; it's Dokév:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Xlr_EQysA

This looks absolutely insane, and graphically far more ambitious that any Pokémon game. And again, they're aiming for a multiplatform release.

Last edited by Pengling on 5 April 2024 at 2:07 am UTC
missingno Apr 5
Panel Attack is a FOSS clone of Panel de Pon (aka Tetris Attack, aka Puzzle League, aka Puzzle Challenge, aka oh my god Nintendo please just pick a name and stick with it). Features online play with rollback netcode, and some basic modding support for custom characters/stages/music/themes.

Last edited by missingno on 5 April 2024 at 4:52 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.