I wish there was a truly trustworthy browser company...
redneckdrow Mar 22
Mozilla's recently bundled Onerep in Mozilla Monitor Plus just turned out to be run by a CEO that made his living running people search sites.

Now, I don't use any of Mozilla's proprietary products, and they dropped his like a hot potato, but can any browser be called trustworthy if their default builds keep doing crap like this? It's not like this is the first time, either!

Chromium, even ungoogled, still seems even worse in terms of privacy.

Is there a non-Chromium viable alternative left? Every Chromium variant seems to have different bugaboos, such as Brave offering crypto-swill! Don't even mention Opera or Vivaldi.

Pale Moon is stagnant, but I do use it from time to time, as my old download workflow (via their Flashgot and DownThemAll 3.x forks) still works for some sites. But some sites are just way too sluggish with Pale Moon, and their forums are somewhat off-putting. They (understandably) no longer support NoScript classic, but someone did fork uMatrix.

As is, there really is no privacy-respecting, reasonably fast, open, safe alternative that supports add-ons (such as NoScript, LocalCDN, and uBlock Origin) or userscripts. It's enough to make one cry.
WorMzy Mar 22
I use qutebrowser, although it doesn't have support for NoScript AFAIK, and I have no idea what LocalCDN is. It has support for hostlist-style and brave-style ABP adblock lists (which I think uBlock uses?). It's entirely funded by donations, and (so far) seems to be free of any dodgy corporate links. Might not be for everyone though, as it's very minimal UI is driven by vim-like bindings. It's also driven by webengine (chromium backend), so you're not really escaping Google's sphere of influence.
Yeah. That's why I just use LibreWolf, it's basically the latest Firefox minus all the telemetry junk.
I use Abrowser and Librewolf on desktop/laptops depending on distro. They're Firefox forks that put privacy and security as a priority and have better defaults. On mobile if i'm on an Android distro i'll use Mull which is as above a Firefox fork that is more privacy and security focusssed with better defaults and is also available on F-Droid.

As for extensions I use Jshelter, Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 23 March 2024 at 1:37 am UTC
Linux_Rocks Mar 23
I can't be assed to change browsers. I begrudgingly use Chrome on most stuff cause I've got all my shit synced on it with my computers and mobile. I switched from Firefox back in 2013 and haven't looked back. I've only started using Firefox again semi-regularly as a backup browser. Cause fuck Edge and Safari. lol

I'm still pissed at Google for removing Google sync from Chromium like they did. It was my main browser in FreeBSD, but now it's been relegated to backup browser and Firefox is my main on there. I like having all my stuff synced. It makes going between devices and OSes easier. Plus having my extensions or add-ons automatically there is also really nice too.

I tried using SeaMonkey, but it doesn't have the more important add-ons that I want. Which is a shame, cause I do miss using an internet suite for my web browsing. Also gaving the IRC client with it is great as well. Since Chatzilla is long dead.
Quoting: Linux_RocksI can't be assed to change browsers. I begrudgingly use Chrome on most stuff cause I've got all my shit synced on it with my computers and mobile. I switched from Firefox back in 2013 and haven't looked back. I've only started using Firefox again semi-regularly as a backup browser. Cause fuck Edge and Safari. lol

I'm still pissed at Google for removing Google sync from Chromium like they did. It was my main browser in FreeBSD, but now it's been relegated to backup browser and Firefox is my main on there. I like having all my stuff synced. It makes going between devices and OSes easier. Plus having my extensions or add-ons automatically there is also really nice too.

I tried using SeaMonkey, but it doesn't have the more important add-ons that I want. Which is a shame, cause I do miss using an internet suite for my web browsing. Also gaving the IRC client with it is great as well. Since Chatzilla is long dead.

Couldn't you just export your stuff from Chrome and import it into Firefox then sync it with Firefox ?
Linux_Rocks Mar 23
Quoting: PublicNuisance
Quoting: Linux_RocksI can't be assed to change browsers. I begrudgingly use Chrome on most stuff cause I've got all my shit synced on it with my computers and mobile. I switched from Firefox back in 2013 and haven't looked back. I've only started using Firefox again semi-regularly as a backup browser. Cause fuck Edge and Safari. lol

Couldn't you just export your stuff from Chrome and import it into Firefox then sync it with Firefox ?
Basically I'm at the point where I've got Chrome the way I "like it" with extensions and sync, and don't really care enough to change over. Cause FireFox also annoys me too with other things when using it. So either way neither is perfect, and I may as well just stick with what I've got. At least we don't gotta pay for web browsers anymore like back in the day though.
There's Ladybird. No extensions yet.

Personally, the only extensions I use are uBlock Origin with Javascript disabled and Yomitan for Japanese (I wish it had a proper desktop version). So I use Firefox, because it's just a better experience than Chrome in my opinion. Ladybird has a long way to go but they've come far in such a short period of time.

The Linux Foundation is developing Servo. We'll see if that makes its way into a browser someday.

Last edited by pleasereadthemanual on 27 March 2024 at 12:14 am UTC
redneckdrow Mar 26
Thanks for all the help, y'all!

Quoting: BlackBloodRumYeah. That's why I just use LibreWolf, it's basically the latest Firefox minus all the telemetry junk.
I think I'll go with Librewolf for the time being, as switching to it is less painful.

Quoting: pleasereadthemanualThere's Ladybird. No extensions yet.

Personally, the only extensions I use are uBlock Origin with Javascript disabled and Yomitan for Japanese (I wish it had a proper browser version). So I use Firefox, because it's just a better experience than Chrome in my opinion. Ladybird has a long way to go but they've come far in such a short period of time.

The Linux Foundation is developing Servo. We'll see if that makes its way into a browser someday.

Cool, a hobbyist OS, a browser, and two web engines I knew nothing about! I'll definitely keep an eye on these!
damarrin Mar 27
I’d say telemetry in and of itself is not a bad thing, a dev needs feedback on how their app is used and what works and what doesn’t. I usually allow it once I’m satisfied it’s anonymous enough.

As for Mozilla, they made a mistake and backtracked on it. That counts for something in my book.

I find using Linux is shooting myself in the foot enough, I don’t need my browser to not work with half of the things just because it’ll give me a bit more privacy. I appreciate others will have differing opinions.
Kuduzkehpan Mar 27
we cant find and trust applications which involved web as much as data gathering and data selling gives huge profit.
thats all about capitalism.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.