You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 3/29/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

PC

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

MVP Baseball 2005…...

Take me out to the ball game........ Take me out with the crowd.........

The graphics….. Are really nice for the GameCube…… Excellent use of colour…… The player models are excellent and the face scans are top notch with some players really very very similar to their real life counterpart……

The sounds……. Are also really well done….. Commentary is very nice and insightful and even helpful at times…… Ambient sounds of the crowed are well done as are all the other sound effects…..

The controls……... Are very simple and easy to learn……. They work well and at no point do you feel like the game is playing you or that you arnt in complete control……..

The storyline.…… April O’Neil has been kidnapped again by the powerful pontiff Doritos Pope…….. And his nasty sidekick Nacho Nun……

The Ninja Turtles have failed to rescue her and need to help of Pengling and her robot army….. But no matter how much they beg and plead Pengling is not budging and not helping……

Donatello studies one of Penglings robots and comes to the conclusion they are inferior in every way to the Foot Clan Robots of the past and say they are useless anyway…….. “Look half of them are sleeping on the couch” Donatello says with disdain in his voice…… Pengling shouts at Donatello and both end up in a verbal confrontation…… I didnt know Pengling knew this kind of Language………

The Ninja Turtles agree that they could beat her robot army very easily…….. Pengling commands her robot army to attack and an almighty stoush ensues…… When the fight ends and the dust settles there are four dead turtles on the ground…….

“Shredder should have hired me decades ago.” Quips Pengling…….. Satisfied with her robot armys work Pengling later sits down and plays some Super Bomberman R 2 while enjoying some Turtle Soup while also fiddling with some Nunchakus between rounds……

The gameplay…… Play baseball…… Bitch, bat and field your way to victory……. Its a baseball game….. not much to say about the gameplay……..

Overall…… This is a fantastic baseball game and one of the best ever made……. Well worth playing if you have any interest in baseball at all……

And that is why my final score for MVP Baseball 2005 is a Jon Dowd out of 10……...

MVP Baseball 2005……...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4000 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do a small pair of underpants and a small dance floor have in common???.......
A: No ballroom......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Mar 30
It's Easter, so my two picks this week feature birdies and bunnies, plus a helping of treats! They're both modern indie titles made in the style of early-1980s single-screen arcade games and are inherently well-suited to playing in short bursts, so they'll be easy to fit around visits from relatives this weekend.

Donut Dodo (Proton)
First we have Donut Dodo, a Donkey Kong-style platformer wherein the baker Billy Burns has to retrieve doughnuts that have been stolen by the titular Donut Dodo.

Murtop (Native Linux)
And second we have Murtop, a Dig Dug/Bomberman mash-up maze game in which little bunny Murti must poop bombs in order to defeat a group of angry moles so that she can steal some carrots.

Happy Easter, everybody!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomber Boy (Bomberman Selection ) (GBC)

Bomberman Fantasy Race (PSX)

Bomberman World (PSX)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Native Linux)

Mischief Makers (N64)

Placid Plastic Duck Simulator (Proton)

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Proton)

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation (Proton)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)

Tetris (GB)

Yoshi's Story (N64) (Platformer)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe storyline.…… April O’Neil has been kidnapped again by the powerful pontiff Doritos Pope…….. And his nasty sidekick Nacho Nun……

The Ninja Turtles have failed to rescue her and need to help of Pengling and her robot army….. But no matter how much they beg and plead Pengling is not budging and not helping……

Donatello studies one of Penglings robots and comes to the conclusion they are inferior in every way to the Foot Clan Robots of the past and say they are useless anyway…….. “Look half of them are sleeping on the couch” Donatello says with disdain in his voice…… Pengling shouts at Donatello and both end up in a verbal confrontation…… I didnt know Pengling knew this kind of Language………

The Ninja Turtles agree that they could beat her robot army very easily…….. Pengling commands her robot army to attack and an almighty stoush ensues…… When the fight ends and the dust settles there are four dead turtles on the ground…….

“Shredder should have hired me decades ago.” Quips Pengling…….. Satisfied with her robot armys work Pengling later sits down and plays some Super Bomberman R 2 while enjoying some Turtle Soup while also fiddling with some Nunchakus between rounds……

What can I say? My guys do good work.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd that is why my final score for MVP Baseball 2005 is a Jon Dowd out of 10……...
Wow, what a great story that was!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4000 PES points out of 5000……….
Not much more to go!

Last edited by Pengling on 30 March 2024 at 2:43 am UTC
Quoting: Pengling
Donut Dodo (Proton)
That bird on the bezel looks so dopey......... Always makes me laugh.......

Murtop (Native Linux)
I remember that game...... I recognise that Dr Eggman mole in the bottom corner!.......

Happy Easter, everybody!
When you said you had a flatpack rabbit....... I was thinking of roadkill.....

Bomber Boy (Bomberman Selection ) (GBC)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!........

Bomberman Fantasy Race (PSX)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x2.........

Bomberman World (PSX)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x3.........

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
Conkers yeah hes totally nuts........ Oh wait....... Thats Bonkers

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Native Linux)
Love........ The final frontier......

Mischief Makers (N64)
Why do the blocks have those weird faces on them???.........

Placid Plastic Duck Simulator (Proton)
Those ducks live better than I do.......

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Proton)
He looks like he knows the gameplay isnt that good.......

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation (Proton)
Sounds like the place I work at...... money for everything except the important things.......

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)
I knew Bomberman would be your favourite thing in Stardew Valley........

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x4..........

Tetris (GB)
Go outside and touch grass Pengling........

Yoshi's Story (N64) (Platformer)
Yoshi sucks.......

Quoting: PenglingWhat can I say? My guys do good work.
Lol they did what Shredder couldnt do for decades........

Quoting: PenglingWow, what a great story that was!
Its a nice story from back when EA cared...... Now it would be just "Player #51" or some crap like that......

Quoting: PenglingNot much more to go!
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel........ OH SHIT ITS A TRAIN!........
Pengling Apr 3
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThat bird on the bezel looks so dopey......... Always makes me laugh.......
I love it. They need to make merch - it'd be perfect!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x2.........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x3.........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x4..........

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhy do the blocks have those weird faces on them???.........
I don't know. The game never really draws attention to it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHe looks like he knows the gameplay isnt that good.......
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I ended up uninstalling it in the end - it takes up a lot of space and I just couldn't click with it. It felt too over-complicated compared to the older Ratchet & Clank titles I've played.

Lesson learned, don't touch "AAA", ever - at least I got it for half-price in a sale and didn't want to touch it at full-price. As far as modern 3D platformers go, New Super Lucky's Tale is WAY better than this.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI knew Bomberman would be your favourite thing in Stardew Valley........
Of course!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGo outside and touch grass Pengling........
Oooooh, don't get me started on that mean and rude newsreader.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYoshi sucks.......
Aw, I like him, anyway.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderLol they did what Shredder couldnt do for decades........
Don't burn bridges with Pengling and her robots!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts a nice story from back when EA cared...... Now it would be just "Player #51" or some crap like that......
It really would. It's sad.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI can see the light at the end of the tunnel........ OH SHIT ITS A TRAIN!........
HAHAHAHA!

Last edited by Pengling on 3 April 2024 at 7:54 am UTC
Ehvis Apr 3
Since I won't be writing these giant post, I'll add a few interesting things instead.

Over the easter weekend I tried a couple of demos.

Europa

Nice little exploration game without combat. Demo could be finished in just under an hour, but it showed what the game is trying to do. Traversal was nice with various ways of jumping boosting and gliding and there is some mystery to uncover. Seems like it could be some good chill gameplay fun.

Children of the Sun

Fairly violent puzzle shooting game. Yes, it is weird. You're basically out to revenge kill an entire cult. The game is split into small areas where you shoot a single shot. After each hit you can redirect the shot to a new target until you get all of them. The puzzle is trying to keep a line of sight on the next target so that you can reach them all. This gets increasingly difficult as the environments get more complicated and targets start moving. Demo lasted for just under an hour and it was good fun. Not sure this type of gameplay can be kept interesting for more than a couple of hours, but we'll have to see.

Sand Land

An action RPG with a Borderlands-ish look to it. To be frank, I did not like it. The demo just had a piece of desert to explore with some small POIs and combat encounters, but nothing was interesting. No quests were given, nothing could be done with the loot you collected and the banter-dialogue was extremely repetitive. All in all I found it boring and the demo did a very poor job to get me interested in the game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.