Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
SomeOrdinaryGamers posted a good beginner Linux video
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: NathanaelKStottlemyer
Quoting: pleasereadthemanualPop!_OS is currently based on 22.04 and has been for several years while they work on getting COSMIC out this year. I don't know if it has newer kernels than Linux Mint. When COSMIC is out, I might recommend it.

So Pop!_OS gets kernels pretty soon after they release, not to mention most of the system utilities. It's a rolling release, basically with the core packages. It's a bit frustrating, though, because I find the extensions they layer onto gnome laggy

I love Pop!_OS and the UI is amazing once you get comfortable with it. That being said, the constant automatic updating of the kernel is an annoyance to me. Every other distro I've used gives you the choice of when to update kernels. The same approach extends to overall updating, which gives you little to no control over the process. It is all or nothing! (Which, I admit, probably helps to keep things stable.) Mint simply does it better.

In the end, though, what caused me to move on and give Linux Mint XFCE a try for gaming on my new-to-me Nvidia MX150 laptop was the stale Nvidia driver support in Pop!_OS. The same reason I left Manjaro. Believe it or not, Mint offers a more recent driver series than either Pop!_OS or Manjaro! They also update the legacy drivers more quickly.
Quoting: NathanaelKStottlemyerand I wish I could just get a newer DE
This is possible with Pop!_OS. On their wiki, System 76 gives instructions on how to install other DEs on Pop!_OS. The only flaw, from my understanding, is that you have to do all your updating from the original DE.
Quoting: CaldathrasThis is possible with Pop!_OS. On their wiki, System 76 gives instructions on how to install other DEs on Pop!_OS. The only flaw, from my understanding, is that you have to do all your updating from the original DE.

Is there a way to update the DE? I know I could switch to something different like Plasma, but all I really want is a more up-to-date version.
Caldathras Apr 13
Quoting: NathanaelKStottlemyerIs there a way to update the DE?
Do you mean the default DE? No idea. As far as I know, System 76 makes small tweaks as part of the rolling updates but are otherwise focusing all their attention on development of the new Cosmic desktop.

It might be possible to make your own adjustments to the user interface using using various Gnome customization tools but I haven't tried. I've only played with Extension Manager.

You could try this link:
https://support.system76.com/articles/customize-gnome/
Caldathras Apr 13
Quoting: Caldathraswhat caused me to move on and give Linux Mint XFCE a try for gaming on my new-to-me Nvidia MX150 laptop was the stale Nvidia driver support in Pop!_OS.
Ironically, I just downloaded a major update for my Pop!_OS installation on my old laptop and System 76 updated the legacy Nvidia driver to the latest version after months of no activity. They also moved general driver support to the most recent version of the latest production branch, 550.67.

I'm too deeply in to the Linux Mint install now ...
Quoting: CaldathrasIt might be possible to make your own adjustments to the user interface using using various Gnome customization tools but I haven't tried. I've only played with Extension Manager.

Yeah, I've done that. I just want a gnome that's newer than 42
Lib-Inst Apr 21
good video indeed
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.